What light for Iraq care package?

Arthur D

Newly Enlightened
I have two buddies that just got deployed from my old unit. I am putting a care package together and thought I would include a cool light. Any respectable flashaholic knows what I mean.

If this has been covered to no end, thanks for your patience.

Price > probably less than 100$

Size > Small. I was thinking this would be an oh Sh** light that is small enough that always gets packed along in a shirt pocket. I was thinking Arc AAA or litefluxAAA, but am not sure of the many other options. Realistically, this might be a light to read at night with, or walk to the head, or settle in at night with.

These guys are not in the green zone, but are not breaking down doors either. They do get called to catch a chopper here and there for overnight stays in rural areas.

They are probably too cheap to purchase CR123s and availability is scarce, but it may be an option.

For you guys that have recently been deployed, I would especially appreciate your light wish list.

nbp

Flashaholic
For a tiny pocket light with cheap, available anywhere cells, I don't think you'd go wrong with a Fenix LD01. Three modes, from 10-80 lumens, runs on a AAA battery, and can take more abuse than you'd expect.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Small tough with long run times on easy to find and cheap cells? A settle down and read some letters light? Won't need high output I guess.
thinking.gif

E01.

EDIT: Ever seen the one AA Zebralight, that could be useful for them.

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
ARC-AAA is a good choice. Made in USA and touch as nails. Pack up a few lithium AAAs for them too so the light is ready when they need them.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA is a good one, IMO.
I've got a friend who's works for a military contractor providing service for various armored vehicles on Army bases and outposts. Gave him a CMG Ultra-G years ago, and it has not left his keychain in spite of being a little bulky. It's been to Afghanistan and Iraq several times with him, and when I asked him if he'd like something "better" when I saw him a few weeks ago, he said no. Arc would have similar output, plus be a lot smaller and lighter.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
for under 100$ i would send them either just one light or preferable two or more..

one light to send: Ra Clicky EDC and 12pack of cr123s. and keep sending them batteries. hahah. it is just tough as nails. (one of my dream lights that i havent gotten around to buy yet. i new to this hobby so i still rather spend that sum to get 2 lights instead)

if you choose to send 2-3 lights.

pick something cheap and simple like
arc aaa
or
two fenix eo1 sound nice (half the price of arc..send 2 of them) . (+ 4 aaa lithium batteries)

and then add something cabable to actually put out more light..

you could choose to get the fenix l01 or l0d to have just one battery type (aaa) but to my mind the AA is easier to find than the AAA so i would suggest an AA light. (also AAbattery has alot more power and runtime than AAA)

*fenix ld10 would be my choice for under 60$ plus 12pack of batteries

-ld10+2eo1= about 90$ without cpf discount at 4sevens-

the zebralight h501 (59$) with warm tint led would be nice to have i suppose. headlamp that can be also used as anglelight and clipped infront of the vest or collar by its pocketclip. but its negatives would be that it is not that robust. its made of thin metal. i like my h501 alot but to trust it survive some serious manhandling.. hmm no.

nitecore ezaa sounds nice too. twisty light. aa and small. but they are too new to make a decision if they are durable or not.

scottaw

Enlightened
I would definately send an LD01 for all the reasons listed above, easy to carry everywhere, lots of light, easy batteries.

And if 123's are available free or easy enough to get, the L1 is my favorite hard use-light. It's built like a tank and fits VERY well in the hand, especially in a tense/sweaty handed situation, it won't slip out of your hand and the button is "no thinking necessary"

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd have to chip in here with a vote for the E01 for low light use, its output is surprisingly more than enough when its really dark and it lasts a long time on any AAA cell. The LD01 is also a good light and with its 3 modes will be very versatile.

For ease of cell replacement, get them both the E01 and LD01. Should be within your budget.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd recommend a Gerber Infinity Ultra Task light. Excellent runtime, not too bright, and it runs off of a single AA cell. (Which will likely be easier to find than a AAA cell, over there).

Mightyquinn

Newly Enlightened
I am strictly a surefire guy but I know from experience that C123 are fairly easy to get over here. They sell Surefire batteries at about every PX and you can order them through the supply chain and they come in pretty quickly. I have heard nothing but good things from the other flashlights mentioned, so I wouldn't let the batteries be a deciding factor. A good bright long lasting LED flashlight is a great thing to have over here. Just my 2 cents!:thumbsup:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want to spend $100 like mentioned above you could really blow their mind and send two light. Also like mentioned the LD01 gets my vote and then you could also send a Eagletac T100C2 for power and get both right at $100 or slightly under.

The T100C2 is a new really cool tactical light with plenty of power but still very affordable. Its not front shirt pocket compact but still goes nice on belt or in pack. Don't forget to use CPF discount. Here's a link to a T100C2 if your curious. https://www.eagletac-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=103&products_id=1485

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
If 123 batteries aren't a problem then i suggest a nitecore extreme. It takes 1 cr123 battery. If it is an OH SH@# light then it probably won't be used all that often. It is small, can fit in any pocket and has multiple settings highest being 200 lumens lowest being 2 lumens!!!!!

AusKipper

Enlightened
+1 LD01, Add Stainless Steel (a bit more money, but doesn't scratch should it end up on a keyring)

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the Proton Pro, there's a lot of good stuff that's been mentioned, but I think this covers the most bases and is within your price.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Here's a list of approved lights that may help if you havent send your pkg already The Army's Program Office for Clothing and Individual Equipment (PM CIE) has blessed a new list of flashlights that are approved for use. The new Family of Flashlights list includes some solid beams that you and your command can buy without having to worry if the light is going to blow up or get you in trouble.
We're glad to see Phantom is back on the roster, with their analog brightness dial and easy-to-find AA batteries. Including Tomahawk's super-ergo angle-head light shows someone at PM CIE was looking for cutting-edge designs to round out the other bulb+tube lights. Surefire got a high-five and a kick in the nuts at the same time. We have to wonder why the nearly ubiquitous Surefire Helmet Light didn't make the list, while the complex and expensive Kroma did. Perhaps the Helmet Light was left out to keep the the Family of Flashlights catalog from looking like an incestuous family photo album?
Basic White Light

• Energizer 1AA Lithium
  • Firstlight Tomahawk-GP
  • Gerber Expert-M
  • Phantom 34-S
  • Streamlight TL2-LED
  • Surefire E1b Backup
  • Surefire E2D Defender
  • Surefire E2L Outdoorsman
Handsfree Helmet Light

• Streamlight Sidewinder Compact
Tactical Handheld Light

oh and a Handshake and thx to your teammates from me

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123s are (usually) readily available at the PX for individual purchase - as to whether or not the individual units issue them out or not differs wildly from one unit to another, usually depending on their mission.

AAAs were almost always out because troops kept buying them in bulk to power mp3s and the like. AAs were easier to find, but not by much.

A single flashlight running on AAA or AA will do nicely - Arc, Fenix E01, the Peak Kilmanjaro or the Peak Matterhorn and the Gerber Tempo are all good, single-cell lights. I'm a big fan of single function lights because there's a lot less to go wrong and break at awkward moments.

These are all great gear, bay shuffling and "inspect the latrine" lights. If you want an outdoor "casual work" light, the MiniMagLED or most of the Fenix lights are a good choice and won't break the bank - in particular the Fenix TK20 and E20.

Keep in mind, there isn't a perfect light to fit all occasions - any of these would be very useful in the right conditions.

Good luck.

-Trevor

adhelia_jon

Newly Enlightened
123 Batteries are every where in Kuwait and i assume in Iraq also! My Solider friends give me plenty of the batteries when i ask for a few.