Mag c switch...

Tim Carleton

Newly Enlightened
is there a mod to this thing or even a replacement switch that doesn't
'double contact' that causes a multimode driver to advance to another mode while turning on.... it's annoying to have to cycle through the modes and be one mode in front of where you want to be when you switch the thing on.

Thanks in advance and I'm not trying to describe the momentary mod.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I avoid multimode mods with MagCs (except with TaskLED drivers) because of this reason. Never tried it myself but here's a "fix".

Last edited:

Winx

Newly Enlightened
That fix seems to work.

I also put some DeoxIT Gold to contact plate and I'm going to take a chance and put Shark Buck 3A with Remora to my 2C. I still need to find a way for easy switch removal if something goes wrong later. :eek:oo:

Al Combs

Enlightened
I'm guessing with a 3A Shark Buck, you have either a P7 or an MC-E? You could try something like this Deans Micro connector, or an equivalent. It's very popular with the RC car and plane people. That way after you loosen the switch body with a 5/64th" or 2mm Allen wrench, you can unplug the switch from the hole in the side and let it fall out the rear. Without having to touch the goop all over the LED heat sink.
That fix seems to work.

I also put some DeoxIT Gold to contact plate and I'm going to take a chance and put Shark Buck 3A with Remora to my 2C. I still need to find a way for easy switch removal if something goes wrong later. :eek:oo:

Al Combs

Enlightened
Hi Will:

I was thinking of doing your Mag2C-4/5 SubC-P7 mod and adding a D2Flex. Does that mean the D2Flex won't have the double click problem with an unmodified switch? I mean I know about the other switch mod for constant power to the board. TIA.
I avoid multimode mods with MagCs (except with RaskLED drivers) because of this reason. Never tried it myself but here's a "fix".

Winx

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing with a 3A Shark Buck, you have either a P7 or an MC-E? You could try something like this Deans Micro connector, or an equivalent. It's very popular with the RC car and plane people. That way after you loosen the switch body with a 5/64th" or 2mm Allen wrench, you can unplug the switch from the hole in the side and let it fall out the rear. Without having to touch the goop all over the LED heat sink.

Thanks! Very good advice.

I have several pairs of JST connectors which are too big in my opinion. I don't want to use them.

Yes, P7 in this case...

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
Hey as long as it fits, it's not too big. The first place I heard of the idea was NetKidz in his AMC7135 sandwich mod. They were poking fun at him for the level of overkill using a Deans Ultra.
Thanks! Very good advice.

I have several pairs of JST connectors which are too big in my opinion. I don't want to use them.

Winx

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I remember those connectors :). I used JST plugs with original wire in my 3D mod when I added 8xAMC7135 driver. I bought red and black 22 AWG teflon wire from Johnswireshop.com so those micro connectors are better. Easier to solder straight to golden pins than open those little JST plugs.