Are there any problems with the Muyshondt Aeon CR2?

frank777

Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a good, small 2-stage twisty light. I like the Muyshondt, but have read some problems about the the flashlight having difficulties on the "low" stage setting.... not staying set on low, or bypassing directly to "high". My old old CR2 ion had that problem, but I was wondering if it has been fixed in the latest design. A review here still mentions it:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Muyshondt_Aeon_CR2_LED_Flashlight.php

Are there any alternatives other than the Raw?

Last edited by a moderator:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are there still problems with the Muyshondt Aeon CR2?

I've not had any problems with mine. It does not get heavy use, but when pocket space is at a premium or just for fun. I'm not sure of the longevity of the design, but if it works when new then I would think the worse thing is you'd have to replace the foam pad at some point.

DM51

Flashaholic
I have changed your thread title, which was misleading in that it implied there were recurrent problems with the Aeon.

The review you mention was unattributable and anonymous on another site, and AFAIK there have been no reports on CPF of any problems at all. The switching on the Aeon's predecessor, the CR2 Ion, did exhibit signs of wear after extended use, but this issue was rectified on the Aeon.

frank777

Enlightened
I have changed your thread title, which was misleading in that it implied there were recurrent problems with the Aeon.

The review you mention was unattributable and anonymous on another site, and AFAIK there have been no reports on CPF of any problems at all. The switching on the Aeon's predecessor, the CR2 Ion, did exhibit signs of wear after extended use, but this issue was rectified on the Aeon.

Well, I suppose it could be some crazy person making up a story, but why would somebody do that? I tend to believe he is being honest. The reason I was concerned is the problem he describes is EXACTLY the problem I had when I bought my CR2 Ion years ago. In fact, it was here on CPF that I found out that many people had the same issue, which was happening with brand new lights, not from wear and tear.

Here is the review from BrightGuy......

"I bought two of these and both have now exhibited the same problem. They just won't settle on the low power setting. I've tried new batteries, I've tried going from off to low, from off to high to low... nothing works. I can get the low setting for about a minute or two and then it turns off as soon as the light is jostled or moved even a bit. Guess I'll contact the mfr. If my lights get fixed, I'll add two stars. To have this occur to TWO models, purchased almost one year apart is not coincidence. (And yes, I paid $195 each)"

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a used Aeon.
I've had it for almost 3 weeks and there have been no problems whatsoever.
It went straight on my keychain and I use it multiple times everyday.
It seems to be a very solid light and the two stages work flawlessly with no flickering.
There is no jumping to high mode from low mode since there is more twisting distance between the two modes compared to my previous twisties.
I've read some complaints about the extra twisting needed between modes but I actually love it. It gives the two levels a stable feel knowing that it won't jump to high accidently.

I also want to mention the driver which is amazingly efficient.
~90 min on high for that amount of light is great and the ~40 hrs runtime on low mode is twice as long as my P1D Q5 on low. (both exhibit same brightness on low)
Remember the P1D is a cr123 light and the Aeon is a cr2, amazing!
I hope that helps.

I would definitely recommend getting one!

frank777

Enlightened
Yes, it does help! Just to give me an idea, how many "degrees" or how much of a twist is there between low and high? 1/2 twist, full 360 twist, etc? I think I'm going to take the plunge..... but $195 will require a significant amount of self-deceptive rationalization on my part.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had trouble with the low flickering with my new Aeon. I guessed that it was because the foam ring wasn't broken in. I isolated the back of a battery with plastic, put it in the light and snugged it down. I left it that way for a few days and afterward no problems.

Mine takes a half a turn from low to high.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get ~half twist maybe slighty more from first initial low level to high which I consider a pretty nice feature.
You can turn it on and not worry about "catching" the low level before hitting high.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
I've got both the Aeon and the cr2 ion. The Ion is an older Muyshondt design, no longer offered.

The Aeon is a more recent Muyshondt design, and I've have absolutely no problems with it flickering.

My Muyshondt cr2 ion (2-3 years old now) did have some (rare) flickering problems, but I was able to fix this by lubing the threads and using DeoxIT on the contacts. I've had this light for over two years now, still works fine. Cheap/old cr2 batteries can also cause problems

Again I've got an Aeon - it's a dandy little light and works flawlessly.

DM51

Flashaholic
Well, I suppose it could be some crazy person making up a story, but why would somebody do that?
A troll would do it. One such has been banned from here permanently for persistently posting malicious fabrications along these lines.

I tend to believe he is being honest. The reason I was concerned is the problem he describes is EXACTLY the problem I had when I bought my CR2 Ion years ago.
The other possibility, as you suggest, is that the writer is honest, but his review is of the CR2 Ion, not the Aeon. As I explained in my post above, there were switching issues with some of the older CR2 Ions after extended use; however these were rectified with the complete redesign of the switch for the Aeon.

how many "degrees" or how much of a twist is there between low and high?
It is approx 180 degrees, or half a complete revolution.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will add, as mentioned above, Deoxit can be very effective in fixing many light problems. Even the person that mentioned they isolated the battery and tightened it down, may have just been cleaning the contact with that, rather than compressing the foam (although I expect both).

That said it is possible that the mechanism can be slightly out of alignment but that's the nature of many designs, but I'm sure they would fix it up for you if it got missed in QC.

There was another Aeon thread where many listed their rotation required for Off/Low/High. It can be a bit excessive I find on mine at times, but 90% of the time I use it on the first level. If it's dark and I think ahead of time I might need high, I twist extra when activating low so high is closer.

It's a very nice light, It took me some time, and a sale, to allow myself to purchase it. However, really if I was not a flashaholic I could bag up many lights an be so happy with the Aeon. After I test my recent batch of small lights I know I'll be carring it often as the small size will be much appreciated in summer wear.

Let us know how it works out if you purchase one.

Illum

Flashaholic
The only pressing issue with my Aeon so far has been the corroding brass pressed against my chest 24/7 being worn over my neck...which is barely an issue considered to all the other things that can possibly go wrong that requires making a thread about:thinking:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Aeon works flawlessly, and has for many months. My only complaint would be how green the beam is -- it makes my previous greenest seem white by comparison, which is saying something. I notice in comparison type beamshots it's not uncommon for the Aeon's beams to look green, so this might be common. Everything else is perfect.

Dan FO

Enlightened
The only pressing issue with my Aeon so far has been the corroding brass pressed against my chest 24/7 being worn over my neck...which is barely an issue considered to all the other things that can possibly go wrong that requires making a thread about:thinking:

I wish all flashlight makers/manufacturers would use marine bronze instead of brass. :twothumbs

Illum

Flashaholic
I wish all flashlight makers/manufacturers would use marine bronze instead of brass. :twothumbs

I certainly can't blame Endeavor for it...after all it was designed as a keychain light, not a neck light. I simply followed in the path of Seery, who convinced me to buy the Aeon, and neck carried it.

I had the brass ring replaced with a regular SS[?] one from lighthound. the ends were cut at a protruding angle and it would frequently snag and fray the parachord attached to it:whistle:

frank777

Enlightened
Thank you SO much everyone for your help. I took the plunge just now. Even the note about the "green tint" was helpful. I purchased it from BrightGuy as they have a great satisfaction guaranteed and return policy.

One more thing...... can this light handle a 3.7 volt lithium-ion rechargeable?

da.gee

Enlightened
Muyshondt does not recommend rechargeables and advises against them.

Illum

Flashaholic
Endeavor, the creator once said
None of my lights are specifically designed to run off rechargeable cells and I don't recommend their use. Some folks have chosen to use them in their lights, any if you choose to you assume all risks for their safe operation. With the runtimes my lights provide most people seem to only replace the batteries a handful of times per year anyway; the fact that rechargeable cells in this size provide such a low capacity, plus their inclination to explode make them fall well into the realm of impracticality, in my opinion.

-Enrique

You have to understand, its on the low mode that the Aeon really proves its name (of "eternity"), lasting over 30 hours on a single CR2 cell, being that CR2s are only 800mah, its quite a feat of its own!
On high its not that nice of a light, while the runtime of 1hr 20min is impressive nonetheless there are other lights that can easily match or exceed its output.

cheers:grin2:

Last edited: