Olight 20 R2 - Mode Switching and Tail Cap Lockout Questions

soulrider

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased a Olight M20 R2 light and have a couple of questions for those who either own the light or are familiar with the operation of it (or other lights like it).

The first I believe I just need a confirmation that my assumption is correct. Regarding what I believe is referred to as tail cap lockout whereby twisting the tailcap (off) a slight turn prevents the light from being accidently turned on via the click switch. Initially, I thought by twisting the tail cap a small bit you were preventing the batteries from making contact. However, after playing with the light for a bit I quickly realized that this is not the case. The spring both at the head and the amount of play in the small pin that sticks out of the taill cap keep the batteries in full contact while you screw on the tail cap. I assume now that it is the very edge of the battery tube which has NO annodizing on it (bare aluminum) which makes contact with the face of the tail cap thus closing the electrical circuit. If you uncrew the tail cap just a fraction of an inch you break the contact between the battery tube and the tail cap thus preventing the circuit from being completed. Is this assumption correct?

Now my question regarding the method the Olight M20 uses to switch modes or levels (low-med-high-strobe). You simply twist the head a short amount (loosen) and then retighten it and goes to the next mode/level in an endless loop. After removing the head and looking at it, I can't for the life of me figure out how this system works. There is a gold spring which makes contact with the positive side of the battery at all times and the head has some small circuit traces (not sure on the correct term). However, I can't see what makes or breaks contact to cause the unit to switch modes/levels. I don't see it being something similar to the tail cap situation since the threads on the head end of the battery tube are bare (not annodized) as are the receiving threads inside the head itself. I don't see how anything in the battery tube interacts with the inside of the head to make the mode/level change. Could someone explain how the mode/level switching works on the M20? Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There is a seperate circuit path through the threads and through the body to an outer contact ring on the PCB. With the head loose, only one path is complete. With the head tight, both are. Many lights use this method (pioneered by Fenix) to control the various modes.

soulrider

Newly Enlightened
There is a seperate circuit path through the threads and through the body to an outer contact ring on the PCB. With the head loose, only one path is complete. With the head tight, both are. Many lights use this method (pioneered by Fenix) to control the various modes.

Thank you for explaining that. I had no idea how it worked since the circuit stayed completed (the light stayed on). I didn't know there were multiple circuits like that. Interesting.