Nitecore D20 issues.....any suggestions?

futurencswat

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Nitecore D20 in the mail today, which I got in a trade. This is my first "real" flashlight and I am not sure if I missed something. When I screw down the head so that I can have constant on and go to cut it off, it won't turn all the way off. It has a light that is lower than the lowest setting when it is "on". The light is flickering and stays on. I am also having some trouble with the ramping. Any suggestions? I would really like to get this light working! Thanks!

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Try to clean the contacts with alcohol. Is the piston sticky/hard to activate, or is it OK? Since you got it in a trade, it's probably used. The previous owner mentioned anything about defects? If not, ask him about it.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might also try putting some Deoxit on the contacts, I had a light once that wouldn't turn on until I done the above. Good luck! The D10 is a awesome light!!

futurencswat

Newly Enlightened
Try to clean the contacts with alcohol. Is the piston sticky/hard to activate, or is it OK? Since you got it in a trade, it's probably used. The previous owner mentioned anything about defects? If not, ask him about it.

The piston isn't hard to activate. I will ask him about it to see if had the same issues. Thanks!

futurencswat

Newly Enlightened

Sorry I am a newbie. What exactly are the Contacts? sorry if this is something obvious.......Also after spending some more time with it today, the switch seems to be a little "sticky". Any more thoughts?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you look at the inside of the head, there is a center positive contact, and a outer negative ring.

Try rotating the ring, gently pry open the gap in the ring, and clean the end of the piston and both contact surfaces in the head.

Also, what cells are you using?

futurencswat

Newly Enlightened
If by cells you me.an batteries (sorry, not used to the lingo.....yet).......It has two Energizer Lithiums in it. Do I use regular rubbing alcohol to clean contacts?

Last edited:

loanshark

Enlightened
Doh! Marduke beat me to it...

Assuming it's like the D10, if you look at the inside of the head there should be a brass split ring and a brass "post" for the positive contact... On the split ring, put a pocket knife or something in the split and twist a bit to widen the split. While your messing with it rotate the ring a bit to a new position. Clean this and the post with alcohol or deoxit... Clean the edge of the piston where it contacts the split ring. Take another light and look down inside the piston at the spring in the bottom. It should be clean and shiny where it contacts the battery... Let us know if this fixes it...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yes, an alcohol swab is what you use to clean light contacts.

Also, try non-lithium cells and see what happens.

futurencswat

Newly Enlightened
Yes, an alcohol swab is what you use to clean light contacts.

Also, try non-lithium cells and see what happens.

Ahhh. Good suggestion. I went to look at the description of the light and BEHOLD not compatible with Li-on batteries! I received the light with batteries in it. Maybe replacing them will help!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Energizer Lithium Primary cells are not Li-Ion, but if your light has an LED with an unusually low Vf, the cell's voltage could potentially still be above the Vf of the LED, giving potential issues.

Try NiMH or alkaline and see if you still have issues.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Nitecore D20 in the mail today, which I got in a trade. This is my first "real" flashlight and I am not sure if I missed something. When I screw down the head so that I can have constant on and go to cut it off, it won't turn all the way off. It has a light that is lower than the lowest setting when it is "on". The light is flickering and stays on. I am also having some trouble with the ramping. Any suggestions? I would really like to get this light working! Thanks!

I've heard of this before with the EX10, it stays in a "moon" mode. The one's I seen had to be sent back.

futurencswat

Newly Enlightened
Im learning more and more on here! I didn't realize they weren't Li-ons. I changed the batteries, cleaned the contacts, spaced the ring and turned it a little bit. Problem is gone now! Hopefully it will stay that way! Thanks for helping this newbie out!

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Im learning more and more on here! I didn't realize they weren't Li-ons. I changed the batteries, cleaned the contacts, spaced the ring and turned it a little bit. Problem is gone now! Hopefully it will stay that way! Thanks for helping this newbie out!

Good to know it's solved. Maintenance is always good for our lights. :twothumbs