What do you knlw about this light?

4efte-tercel

Newly Enlightened
Coast® P14R LED Lenser

$200.00 plus 400 plus lumens

Uses (4) AAA batteries!

I've checked the Coast site....no info.

I've checked the net with no definate info.

So what does everyone know about this light?

Ken

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 AAA batteries is probably the most impractical battery configuration out there (except maybe 4 AAAA batteries). AAA batteries waste a lot of space, especially when battery holders are used. In general, a larger number of smaller cylinders will waste far more space than a smaller number of larger cylinders in a cylindrical body because of how cylinders tessellate (or don't tessellate). AAA batteries also don't have very high capacity at all... I can't see that light having runtime that is anywhere near decent.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run times are usually to the point where the light is producing practically nothing. Coast/Led Lenser is very (in) famous for cheap construction, completely overinflated runtimes, no regulation, etc. Bottom line, Coast/Led Lenser lights are direct drive (read: maybe a resistor) garbage that hugely overpriced for the light output, quality, etc.

Save yourself some embarrasment, and look at some nicely reviewed lights, such as Fenix (the LD20 is great), Olight, Jetbeam, Novatac, etc.

Oh, BTW, heres an example of an explanation I gave my father the other day at Loews...
He was looking for a new work light, already had a Coast "Hokus Focus" (which he dropped the other day, ~2' on its side in a carpeted office, no longer works), and was looking at getting another. The sale price was $49. So I looked at my dad and said, "Dad, you really like borrowing my Fenix, right, 'cause it's well made, and usable, right?" He said yeah... I said, "Well, remember that long conversation we had before I got it, about how spending $59 on a light was too much? And now I have a very nice, well made, well regulated light, that you've borrowed several times right (borrowed on a two day trip to a power plant in West Virginia, where the tech shed for environmental controls is poorly lit)."
And he replies, well, yeah... So I pulled out my Fenix, turned it on turbo, held it at shoulder height (~ 5'6''), and dropped it on the concrete floor. It's still working, btw. And then I said, "Now you're saying that you're going to spend $10 less on a light that isn't as nice, well made, or warrantied, and, as you just witnessed, crash tested, and the last one broke after falling on Carpet. Now, you're always justifying those expensive tools you like purchasing, because they're well made, and last. So just stop and think about that light for a moment..."
He hasn't bought a new light, yet, but I'm plugging Fenix!

Anywhooo... Point is, that many other manufacturers make much less expensive products that are much better. The final decision is up to you, just make sure you're aware of all the facts going in, so you aren't burned.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously... if you're looking for those specs you need to look else where, it ain't happening with that model which is why you find very little info on it.

jupello

Enlightened
Here's some info SpideRMaN dug out about the P14r.. looks like your initial information was a bit off (it's using 4x AA instead of AAA). There's not much info about it yet because the light has not been released.. it should be coming out sometime this year I think :laughing: