My stupid story

curtispdx

Enlightened
Well, I got a call about a suspected counterfeit $100 bill at a restaurant today. Looked legit but the texture was off and the manager said it failed the counterfeit pen tester.

I've seen fakes before and I know that most of them are poorly done and the lack of sharpness in the print are a dead giveaway so I promptly whip out my 2C/5761 from my sap pocket, point it upright, and laid the bill on top while it was on so I could take a close look. (It was kind of dark in the managers office.)

Seconds later the manager, who is right next to me, says "WHY IS THAT BILL SMOKING!?"

Oops. :shakehead

Sigh, I'm an idiot...

By the way, the $100 bill was real...

This is the same light that I dropped on the street the first day I had it. It landed in a pile of rancid mayonnaise and ketchup on the ground.

I think this light is cursed.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double whoops! Poor MagLite. Flashlights have feelings too ya know. Apologize to it immediately! :grouphug:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Flame on Johnny, flame on.................................. :laughing:

Did you burn it up or just scorch it? Nevermind, just send it to me so I can lift it's curse. I warn you, it does involve a garbage disposal. :grin2:

Illum

Flashaholic
Seconds later the manager, who is right next to me, says "WHY IS THAT BILL SMOKING!?"

Its called the counterfeit ink smoke test:crackup:
supposedly too...that certain inks smoke differently...but I never tried it on bills

hmm... texture was off, failed the pen test...the bill was real
somethings off here :thinking:

curtispdx

Enlightened
Its called the counterfeit ink smoke test:crackup:
supposedly too...that certain inks smoke differently...but I never tried it on bills

hmm... texture was off, failed the pen test...the bill was real
somethings off here :thinking:

I'm not sure the manager was reading the ink correctly. I took it to a bank two blocks away and they agreed that the texture was different but everything else was fine. They tested it with their pens and it passed. They thought that the bill might have ended up in a washing machine at some time and that's why it might have felt different.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
ROFL good story. Imho only large denomination bills smoke and catch fire, so just to be on the safe side you should try it with someone's $1000 bill. :tinfoil:

Illum

Flashaholic
Yeah, I pulled it off right away. I'm tempted to try it again (at home with nobody around) with a ONE dollar bill...

that's a vile thought...on medium spot focus upclose you'll literally be burning in dark eyebrows and a mustache on Washington's face..why Washington? why not Jackson?

Illum

Flashaholic

curtispdx

Enlightened
This is why when I withdraw money I specify $20 bills....

Actually, I think that $20's are counterfeited the most. Less suspicious, I suspect. (They draw less attention. They often get passed when the cashier/waitress is really busy so they don't pick up on the subtle differences of the bill.)

In regards to the "super notes" I've heard of them but have never (to my knowledge) seen one in the wild.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow !

Thanks for the info on SuperNotes phony bills.

Very interesting thread here. :thumbsup:

lovecpf

_