Maglite Magnum Xenon Bulbs ...

arioch

Enlightened
My local Ace Hardware has begun stocking Maglite Magnum Star Xenon bulbs in all sizes (2,3,4,5, and 6C/D) in place of the Krypton bulbs.

They are more expensive than the Krypton bulbs (almost double the Magnum star, and 3x the White star or equivalent), and I don't really see that much difference in brightness; that is to say, the xenon bulb is brighter, but not by very much. I have tried the xenon vs. krypton bulbs in my 2,3, and 4 cell lights, and found little difference in performance between different sized lights.

I also found the focusing mechanism to be strange with the xenon bulbs compared with the krypton bulbs. After having tried out the xenon bulbs, I have gone back to overdriving generic krypton bulbs in my 4C(3cell bulb) and 3x123 2C(5cell bulb), which I found to be brighter and better focused. The other Mags sit where they always sit; in a plastic storage container.

Also, I recall reading a post somewhere here about someone overdriving their Mag xenon bulb in their Maglite w/ no problemo and mucho increaso in outputo. However, I have heard that overdriving xenon bulbs is a bad idea.

I was just wondering about others in the forum who have tried or who use the Magnum star xenon bulbs in their Maglites. Whadayaall think ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yes, yes, I know the Xenons have been discussed before, but now that they are actually available here in a decent sized franchise, I would like for present and past users to chime in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found the M@g xenon bulbs not to be significantly brighter than the krypton ones, and in fact, I prefer to overdrive Radio Shack krypton bulbs in my M@gs because of the significantly brighter output and relatively decent beam obtained.

Thanks.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have one in two lights right now. I WILL NOT overdrive one, having flashed two earlier in the process.

One is in a 3D M*g. It will focus tighter than almost any other light I have ever seen. It STILL won't flood for nothing.

And one is in a PT40. I flashed the KPR103 that was in there, then flashed another. So I put a 4 cell Xenon Star into the PT. Because of the orange peel reflector the beam is still near perfection. And it is somewhere between how bright it was stock and how bright it was KPR103'd. Should be damn reliable too!

But for everything else I use Rayovac or Radioshack or M*g Whitestar bulbs (all Krypton).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I would agree that Magnum Stars (the Krypton ones with the "lense" at the end of the bulb) do indeed SUCK!

But the Xenon Stars are okay if you want a VERY tight fairly bright beam.

jtice

Flashaholic
I CAN'T STAND M*Gs LIGHT OUPUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like M*Gs body, and strong build, but I cant stand their poor poor poor light output. Its very yellow, and really ... uky... the beam is very uneven, and has lines and bends to it.

Thats why Im taking the 4 M*Gs I have now, and hate, and converting them all to LED's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Illuminated

Enlightened
My observations/opinions:

1)I find that they produce better beams and focus better than the oval-shaped Krypton lamps I've used.

2) The overall quality/consistency seems slightly better than other readily available lamps.

3) In non-overdriven applications, the overall whiteness is acceptably good.

4) They can be used with the Carley spacer rings, which is a plus.

5) Run times should be good, as the 3 & 4-cell lamps I've measured current draw on have been about the same as their less bright krypton equivalents.

Just my un-scientific take on these "hardware store" bulbs.

BTW - I have been finding the Magnum Xenons in 3 & 4-cell for $3.49 each at Home Depot...

John

arioch

Enlightened
soloco:

Never saw a 7cell Maglite bulb before ... where'd you get it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyways, I guess some like the Maglite Xenons and others don't ... as stated, my preferences are overdriven krypton bulbs. A two-pack of Rayovac or other cheaper PR krypton bulbs cost about $1.50 at Wally's and other shops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If I didn't think they make a TOO tight beam, I just might try a 6 cell Xenon overdriven by 7 C-cells...

But earier experimentation had me throw both a 2 cell and a 3 cell away. So overdriving them is something I probably will never do again.

I just don't find them as puky and yellow as others seem to.

arioch

Enlightened
soloco:

Thanx for the info ... I have never seen a 7C or D cell Maglite ... I do have a 6D Maglite, which I received as a gift from a friend. That bugger is big and heavy without batteries! I'm not a small guy, but I don't see myself carrying a 6D, much less a 7D around on a regular basis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif