Adjustable focus lite for about $30

lionelbob

Newly Enlightened
Would like to get my son interested in LED lights. His birthday is this month.

There are so many lights out there.

I'd like to get him started with something in the $30 area,
Adjustable focus
2AA preferred
120 lumens or higher.
More than 1 brightness clicky.

Are any of these recommended?
Fenix T1
Wolfeyes Fox1
Rayovac 2AA 3 watt
Romisen RC-G2
River Rock nightfire

Regards, Bob

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix T1 is discontinued, but isn't focusable anyway. The Romisen RC-G2 is focusable, but not very much. It also only has one level. I don't know about the others. The nearest decent focusable lights I can think of to your budget are the Fenix E20 (focusable but only one level), maybe one of the cheaper LED Lensers and the MagLED. There's 1 or 2 focusable budget lights on DX but the comments I've seen weren't inspiring.

There's quite a few decent lights within your budget if you're willing to do without adjustable focus, which I think is an over-rated feature in many cases. Most of my LED lights have both a decent hotspot and decent spill without the need for focusing.

lionelbob

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I guess I could buy a terralux conversion for his maglite.

I noticed a really cool lite,
Romisen RC-N3 at shiningbeam.
They also have a Romisen RC-N3 II that boasts hi-lo power.

I can't tell if both these lites have the same cree emitter.
One says 30% brighter, the other says 40% brighter.

Regards, Bob

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
that 2 mode N3 will be added to my next purchase from shiningbeam. so i think it would be a nice choice for him.

about adjustable or zoom.. with these new modern led lights one really do not miss that feature. they are so much brighter (decent quality 1 and 2aa led flashlight is about as bright as incan 2d maglite was, or brighter)

and the lower outputs allow you to look thing closer without blinding yourself.

in my mind the adjustable beam of maglites was designed for this purpose and then zoom was used so one could see further.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just got a new Fenix E20. It's over 100 lumens and does focus but has only the high power setting. When you unfocus to flood it is like a lower power because the beam is so diffuse. I leave mine set to flood so it doesn't blind me when I turn it on then focus to a narrow beam for maximum brightness. It focuses like a Maglite with a ring on the head. It does run on 2 AA's and is a pretty nice flashlight.

I like the clicky on the tail because you can push just a little for a flash or push until click for longer use. I can flash out an S.O.S. a lot faster than the built in S.O.S. function on more "advanced" flashlights.

Rexlion

Enlightened
So many fun lights to enjoy! I'm just going to throw this out there... quality may not be the greatest on these, but they are definitely fun to move from flood to spot... DX has them, search for xzoom or c30 or p4-wc. The uniformity of the beam is amazing, smooth almost from edge to edge, rather than a hotspot with dimmer spill. At $10 to $16 each I'm thinking about Christmas presents for some of the relatives.

And since $10 isn't enough to spend, you have to also buy him a Fenix E01 or something else. :laughing:

lionelbob

Newly Enlightened
I decided on getting him the Romisen RC-N3 at shiningbeam. I received it two days after I ordered it. Great retailer, great light. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Regards, Bob

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
For USA made & price, nothing compare to MiniMagLED multi-level.
Just change the 22mm 1mm glass Lens then it becomes perfect.