How can I repair my LiteFlux LF2?

orangeterran

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I bought this handy light well over a year ago, but it has seen minimal use. This is mainly because of an issue that has developed over time.

My flashlight no longer reliably turns on. When twisting the body to set it to either the first or second position, the emitter will flicker intermittently or not turn on at all. I have to play around with the body for a few minutes before I can get the light to stay on (if I'm lucky). To me it seems like there is poor contact somewhere, but I'm not sure how to actually take the flashlight apart without breaking it. If anyone could link me to a guide or exploded diagram, that would be great! Thanks!

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, orangeterran.

You posted this twice, so I deleted the 2nd copy. This announcement explains why new members' threads and posts don't appear immediately: ATTN: NEW MEMBERS!!

gunga

Flashaholic
I have a couple of these nice lights, one rides on my keychain at the moment.

You can easily unscrew the head to get to the emitter, just hold the bottom of the head, near the battery tube, and unscrew the part with the grip "knurling". This will allow you to get to the emitter if you want to resolder it.

If you want to get to the circuit, you are out of luck. THe switch is glued in place and non-serviceable. The later LF2X had a servicable switch, but the earlier LF2 does not.

I would just try cleaning all contact surfaces with de-oxit if you have it, or alcohol if you don't. Try new batteries, and do a factory reset (SWx10).

I'll buy the parts off you if you end up ditching it...

:grin2:

juplin

Enlightened
Besides cleaning all contact surfaces suggested by gunga, you can fill several drops of alcohol into the interior of the switch module through the circular gap around the positive post.
Then shake the head violently for about 15 ~ 20 seconds to let the filled alcohol clean the inner contact points of the switch module.
Then shake out the filled alcohol from the circular gap.
Wait for several minutes to let the residual alcohol evaporate, then you can install the battery and test the LF2 again.
The filled alcohol inside the switch module will not hurt the sealed circuit or LED, but be sure to shake the alcohol out after cleaning.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides cleaning all contact surfaces suggested by gunga, you can fill several drops of alcohol into the interior of the switch module through the circular gap around the positive post.
Then shake the head violently for about 15 ~ 20 seconds to let the filled alcohol clean the inner contact points of the switch module.
Then shake out the filled alcohol from the circular gap.
Wait for several minutes to let the residual alcohol evaporate, then you can install the battery and test the LF2 again.
The filled alcohol inside the switch module will not hurt the sealed circuit or LED, but be sure to shake the alcohol out after cleaning.
Chances are, this will clear up your problem. You may want to do it a couple times to ensure the switch gets as clean as possible.

Those stupid switches have a tendency to get gummed up, and the typical symptom is flickering output (from intermittent contact).

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
word of warning... it is rare that you will have pure alcohol, a percentage of that will be water, you will have to make sure the head is *completely* dry before firing it back up. You can remove the components from the head by screwing it out, they let it dry very well before attempting a power up.

orangeterran

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Immediately after the initial responses I tried cleaning with rubbing alcohol which flushed out a lot of black grease. However, there was no change in operation.

Today, I just picked up some DexoIT and tried cleaning it again. Some more black gunk came out, but now the flashlight does not turn on at all. :(

dynamicvelocity

Newly Enlightened
Try Cleaning the contact area/lip around the battery compartment, remove any grease from there as well.
I found cleaning inside the switch helped, but the grease was still a problem on the battery section, both had to be completely clean before the flickering would stop.