Swisstool Microtool ...

arioch

Enlightened
I was wondering about the Swisstool Microtool, in regards to whether or not it would pass muster at the airport security checkpoints. Unlike similar tools like the Leatherman Micra, the Microtool does not have a knife or scissors on it; it has a small pliers, wire stripper, small and regular sized standard and Philip screwdrivers.

I will be flying in July, and would really like to have some kind of small tool w/ me. However, I would rather not have it confiscated; it will be enough of a hassle going through the checkpoint w/ flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened
I think the tool you refer to is the SWISSTECH MICROTECHNICIAN PLUS. It's black and the jaws latch on to a keyring. I have one but I didn't try to carry it on my last flight.

Here is a link to allowed and prohibited items and it says that PLIERS and SCREWDRIVERS (except eyeglass kit type) are PROHIBITED from carry-on.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/tsa_ppitems.pdf

You may want to call the airline to be sure that it's still that way. If you insist on bringing it, hoping they won't notice, and they might not, bring a prestamped preaddressed bubble envelope so you can send it back home if they don't let you take it. However, be sure that both airports still have post office boxes, or services, since I remember the last one I went to shortly after 9/11, had removed all of them.

I don't like to go anywhere without all my gear ON me, but in the interest of not getting it taken away, I pack all "carry-on-restricted" gear in checked baggage, since most things ARE allowed to travel that way.

Have a safe flight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif