Anyone can assembly a flashlight inside water and let it flash! He can!!!

Splunk_Au

Enlightened
You can do this with any flashlight including fenix and ultrafire flashlights even, nothing special.

Yeh its safe in terms of any potential harm to the user as long as it's not lithium ion battery since there is not enough current to cause electricution in water.

mr_maurice

Newly Enlightened
btw what kind of light is that ?
Flashing red and blue, is it something designed to mimic a police light ?

MetalZone

Newly Enlightened
He doesn't recommend doing it. He's just doing it at his own risk to demonstrate that it is possible; and not as bad as it seems in the event a leak does happen. Not meant for prolonged use. The battery I suppose isn't of some lithium chemistry?

Tora

Newly Enlightened
Ditto - Although I'm sure you meant distilled water - or even better - pure water from H and O combination like from fuel cells. Which by the way - would eventually kill you - water is an almost universal solvent - you need electrolytes in the water.

Gotten off of a medical dr's web page:

Many health fanatics, however, are often surprised to hear that drinking distilled water on a regular, daily basis is potentially dangerous.

Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value.

Distilled water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with air, it absorbs carbon dioxide, making it acidic. The more distilled water a person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Distilled water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by distilled water."
The most toxic commercial beverages that people consume (i.e. cola beverages and other soft drinks) are made from distilled water. Studies have consistently shown that heavy consumers of soft drinks (with or without sugar) spill huge amounts of calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals into the urine.
The more mineral loss, the greater the risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and a long list of degenerative diseases generally associated with premature aging.

Sorry - diverged but as stated in the above post - it is the electrolytes in the water that is conductive to electricity. A very high voltage item could overcome any insulation given the amount of either.

The person who did the flashlight underwater assembly knows this. We are also dealing with sealed components. So long as the voltage is low and the distance from + to - is far enough - no immediate short would occur in regular water just from the battery. The return from the tailcap is insulated from the battery box. The electronic components are insulated from the battery box as well in the head component. However - I didn't see him fill the water from the tap - even had he - there are plenty of under sink distilled water purifiers. I think - since I don't speak Chinese - that he was demonstrating the sealed components effectiveness, for had the head components and circuitry been exposed to tap water - they would have shorted unless the water were pure.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fresh water has no effect on DC electronics. You need a conductor in the form of an electrolyte.
That is assuming it is pure distilled water. Tap water has all sorts of additives in it which could potentially conduct electricity, but I have no idea what the concentrations present actually are.

Bonky

Banned
I once made the mistake of putting tap water into a car battery to top off the water levels. Started to sizzle, ruined the battery.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
What flashlight is that? Nice cool demo...:faint:

In his other video tittled sany0020, he says that it's a prototype and is not yet named. I can't tell what kind of battery it is but the wrapping makes it look like a lithium ion. All his other video's show him using lithium ions. If you browse the other videos you'll see that he uses aw standard and IMR cells. The yellow cell is probably some chepo lithium ion cell that he was willing to part with. Through out the video he says not to do this and that he will be not be keeping the battery after this experiment. Some of you might be interested in the video sany0003. It's a charger that acts like a battery carrier. He's demonstrating the reverse polarity protection.

Last edited: