need flashlight for an aircraft mech

A380

Newly Enlightened
Hi.
This is for a friend, an aircraft mech but I don't know which one I can choose for him. He works with airbus A320 and MD-80 series, so he want something throwing about 15m to reach stabilizer and good flood.
He already has 18650 batteries and want to spend about 90$ including shipping.
Beamshoots or links to them would be great, so he could see them and decide.

Thanks.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does he want to use 18650's exclusively?
There are a lot of options available, and 15 meters is not for at all to throw. He definitely doesn't need to spend $90 if he doesn't want to. You might want to look at the Eagletac T10L which has a good mix of spill and throw. Are there any other requirements, like multiple modes? Are there any size restrictions?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider one of the Eagletacs. With 2 levels- high over 200 lumens, and low around 60. The low lasts 8 hours on most models. They have several models with an 18650 battery.

Illum

Flashaholic
Aircraft mechanic...assuming A380 :thinking:

Concerning exposure to oil, solvants, Hydraulic Fluid, Jet-A/Jet-B, Anti-icing fluid....plus the possibility of safety ratings for hazardous environments

Must be small enough to carry on hand, able to be used while crawling about in tight places... multimode...maybe

hmm..Id consider looking into intrinsically safe flashlight with markings for hazardous areas.

A reference from http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/DFS/publications/fc/08-3/d/d5-eng.asp
Flashlights used on aircraft and in aircraft hangar shall meet the requirements set forth in the C-05-005-P10/AM-001. Practically, the flashlight shall have a Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Underwriters Laboratory (UL) (see Figure 1) approved rating for Class 1, Division 1 (Division 2 in some cases) (see Figure 2). Aircraft hangars and aircraft are deemed to be hazardous locations given the fact that gases may be present in sufficient quantities to produce explosive or flammable mixtures.
Flashlights tested and approved for use within specified environments will usually cost more. They are tested by independent laboratories such as UL or CSA against strict standards for electrical appliances for use in hazardous locations. You can easily check the rating of flashlights since they have markings on the casing identifying what organizational approvals they have and what environments they are safe to use in.

Streamlight, Pelican, etc has a pretty decent list of choices...but concerning 18650s... :thinking:

Last edited:

A380

Newly Enlightened
18650's exclusively? Yes, actually because he allready have them and the charger to.
Eagletac T10L seems a nice choice. I've read some good reviews here in the forum, but I'm not able to find eny beamshots. Could you help me?
Two modes are really usefull (much better than having onehundred and a half with useless strobes), specially when you work on a really short range and for extended runtime.
Illum, it would be great to have the A380 :D but only A320 and md-80 series.
http://www.flightglobal.com/airspac...-spanair-md83-on-finals-for-09-at-bristol.jpg
http://www.visitingargentina.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/a320-air.jpg

Very interesting reference, but we don't make overhoulings so not risky situation like being inside fual tanks.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I work also in aviation and in our company a lot of people are really happy with the MTE p7 lights. They're cheap, really reliable and bright. Our company put every guy a maglite 2d (or is it c?) in his toolbox, but thats real crap as long as it's stock...
So, i'm also pretty happy with my mte and i sold already 30 of them incl. additional stuff (charger+batts). You can get the MTE lights as 2-Mode on DX, but they're not original MTE.
I wouldn't think about taking a normal light into a fuel tank.
We're working on boeing 757+767, and we'll probably get A320's next year additional...

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
THIS thread here has some good beamshots of the Eagletac T10C2, which as the same reflector as the T10L (it was the 2 CR123 version of the T10L, but it got replaced by the T10LC2, which has a slightly different reflector). The shots of the T10C2 should be essentially exactly the same as the T10L. The T10L also has very good regulation, so it won't dim at all; it just goes out. However, the low mode is pretty long for its brightness level, so your friend shouldn't have problems as long as he has some spare batteries.