Flashlight for Wedding Party Gifts - $100

jip911

Newly Enlightened
Was hoping you folks could point me in the right direction...
I would like to get my wedding party nice flashlights for attending but havent looked at flashlights in years... needless to say they have come a looooong way!

Anyways, I have a 100$ limit +/- a few bux... and would like to get them a nice flashlight. I have really been gravitating towards the JETBEAM lights as there fit/finish looks amazing. Not sure what size/lumens/etc something along the lines of a jetbeam III Military or a RRT-1 or RRT-2 Raptor would be on the large side... smaller would probably get more use??

Suggestions on a great light with a nice fit/finish?

Thanks
J

Burgess

Flashaholic
Take a good look at the Brand-New line of Quark flashlights,

from 4Sevens. It's his own "private" brand.

Everything about this new line says " First Class ". :thumbsup:

Even the packaging it comes in ! :thumbsup:

This oughta' give your Guests a good impression, indeed.

:cool:

Oh, by the way . . . .

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

_

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest (if budgets permits) that whichever lights you decide on, if they are available from 4sevens.com, maybe get them engraved as well. David offers laser engraving and it would be a nice personal touch to the gifts.

Toaster

Enlightened
I would veer away from CR123 powered lights unless you are absolutely sure these people will not shy away from ordering replacement cells online. Better to stick with AA cells. Something small and easy to operate like a Nitecore EZAA is probably a safe bet and will still have plenty of wow factor. Use the leftover budget to pick up some Energizer Lithiums or some Eneloops and a decent charger to go along with the light.

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you decide on I would keep it simple. I would go with aa batteries as they are the most common and cheap. They are more likely to get used that way. Also, I would look for single mode or multimode without sos and flashing modes.

Bronco

Enlightened
If you're really willing to spend $100, why not be a hero and go all the way. RA Twisty's for the house, at $99 a pop. :D

Just let them know that they're all now obligated to become flashaholics.

Last edited:

KuKu427

Enlightened
Moderation:

Dealer offer removed :tsk:

Last edited by a moderator:

mbw_151

Enlightened
The Ra EDC is a great suggestion. Three other high quality options are the Surefire e1L for outdoors types, the all around Surefire 6P LED or a Surefire G2 with a Malkoff M60L or M60WL. Just remember that any of these could initiate flashaholism, particularly the last ones.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix LD01 SS is a light amoung lights and would make an unforgettable gift for these guys!

Consider giving it with an Energizer Lithum disposable batt in place--sweet!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you want to have a $100 light get tossed in a drawer because a new battery costs them $7 at the grocery store. So we're looking at standard sized, alkaline batteries only.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what you should get depends on who they are.

Are they active/sporty type or are they not?

Get something like a Jetbeam Element EP3 ($58) which is stylish and elegant, yet still bright enough to have this wow factor for the average eyes.

If they're into the outdoors, especially @ night, something more aggressive like a Jet-I PRO ($67) would be better. Both uses 1 AA.
http://blackforce.stores.yahoo.net/jefl.html

If you know they'll only use it for a short duration each time (say <1hr), then something with AA is sufficient. Otherwise if you know they'd need some with higher duration, say 2hrs + of usage each time, they probably need something with 18650 batteries.

If you decide to get them something that uses CR123A or 18650, you better get them the batteries and charger. Obviously that'll add to costs.

In the end, it comes down to what they need.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix Stainless Steel LD01! :twothumbs Cool, classy, elegant, brilliant output, runs on AAA lithium, nimh, alkaline, and li-ion 10440; 3 levels... beautifully made, beautifully simple, easy for anyone to use; an incredibly useful light that's very small and handy... great for guys and girls! About $51 each... and add in a 4-pack of L92 lithiums! This is a convenient light they will definitely use and always appreciate.

Last edited:

jip911

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies so far!
There a 4 gents in the wedding, so were talking 5 lights... (I must have a new toy too)

There is going to be 2/2 blue/white collar guys here but 3 outa 4 would surely get some good use out of these, at work or play. The other... well he may need help getting the batteries in...

I had engraving on my mind when I was thinking of what to buy so that will be covered. and as far as batteries maybe AA's isnt a bad idea... again 3/4 would probably buy a charger/bats.

Anyways, Great advice so far. And thanks for the welcome.

J

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is going to be 2/2 blue/white collar guys here but 3 outa 4 would surely get some good use out of these, at work or play. The other... well he may need help getting the batteries in...

J
haha, i got 5 bucks that says its your brother in law!!

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix Stainless Steel LD01! :twothumbs Cool, classy, elegant, brilliant output, runs on AAA lithium, nimh, alkaline, and li-ion 10440; 3 levels... beautifully made, beautifully simple, easy for anyone to use; an incredibly useful light that's very small and handy... great for guys and girls! About $51 each... and add in a 4-pack of L92 lithiums! This is a convenient light they will definitely use and always appreciate.
I got one for my best friend's 21st present. To be honest, I regretted it badly.

I tested it out to make sure it works, etc. The PWM (flickering) is absolutely horrible, especially when the AAA battery is rechargable. In prolong usage during medium/low modes (30 mins +), it'll sometimes turn off by itself for no reason. It is the worst "high quality" torch I ever got.
But his birthday is just a couple of days away, I didn't really have a choice.
Given my friend isn't a flashaholic, he still really liked it though.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Peak Pacific stainless steel about $60

pacificttaa250x187.jpg

Give them a ring and ask for Curt or Robyn Toll Free Phone Number: 1 ( 877 ) 881-7325.
It would look incredible engraved order the highest power level "SP" and run it on a standard lithium AA available nearly anywhere.
Not sure if they can provide the engraving but ask, they are great folks to deal with and the light will literally last a lifetime.
Norm

Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies so far!
There a 4 gents in the wedding, so were talking 5 lights... (I must have a new toy too)

I had engraving on my mind when I was thinking of what to buy so that will be covered. and as far as batteries maybe AA's isnt a bad idea... again 3/4 would probably buy a charger/bats.

Anyways, Great advice so far. And thanks for the welcome.

J

Well, if one of your buddies is technically impaired (as I am:eek:), I would stay away from lights that take 2 CR123a batteries, and lights that need 1 RCR (a rechargeable CR123 battery). Bad things can happen if you are not careful. But, you might want to get one of these lights JUST for your brother-in-law. :D That leaves you with 1 x CR123, 1 X and 2 X AA lights, and 1 x AAA lights.

If they guys aren't practical, or budding flashaholics, CR123a powered lights may end up in the drawer, once they see the cost of these batteries at retail outlets. If they order all their stuff online anyway, no problem. But even then, they have to be sure to order GOOD cells...not some off brand cheapie junk at the lowest price off of Evil Bay.

So that leavs you with AA lights and AAA lights.

As much as I like the AAA cell, I don't think you are going to get the 'wow' factor out of an AAA light from anyone but a flashahiolic or a techno-geek. And even they may quicky be craving more runtime than the little AAA cells can offer.

Lights that take two AA cells can offer great output and long runtime on lower output modes, but they are pretty large to be carrrying around all the time. Most of us can't really carry a holstered light around all day without raising some eyebrows, so a light should be able to fit in a pocket, and be of compact size. Which means you will be looking at 1 x AA lights.

Flashlights are kind of a tough gift item. Oddly, even among guys who dig their IPhones, knives, guns, computers or other gadgets, flashlights still generally are met by a big "Yawn....." Unless the guys are flashaholics (whether they know it yet or not) OR, have a practical mindset and realize how useful the light you gave them will be for work, or play/hobbies, they may be singularly unimpressed. You don't want to get the dreaded 'WTF-is-this???' look.

So, I'd suggest something that is of high quality, has a 'wow' factor to impress the uninitiated, but doesn't have any gimmicks, and can be really usefull. This means, at least one real bright setting (by layman's standards) and at least one lower setting for usable light for an extended runtime. The operation of the light should be simple, but also allow guys who like to fiddle and adjust everything to do just that to their hearts' content. At least, it will keep them interested in playing with the things for awhile. This means I think the ideal UI should allow for simnple operation, and customization.

I would suggest you check out, from 4 Sevens, the Nitcore Defender Infinity and the Nitecore D10. Both have UIs that can have at least one light level set by the user to his liking, and access to a bright "high" level anytime. The D10, I belive, has more options for messing with the pre-set light levels, while the Defender infinity has a simpler interface allowing for two different levels of light to be easily accessed. The Defender Infinity is about $75 - $80 dollars and the D10 about $55-$60 dollars. Another neat thing you may be able to do with the D10 is get a piston (that's the 'switch' on the D10) cover that is cut to accept a tritium (glow-in-the-dark isotope) vial which can be used to locate the light in darkness, and just to look cool. (And no, I don't think tritium vials are gimmicks.)

There are some review in the "Review Section" of the board on both the Defender Infinity and D10, so you can see what these lights look like and understand the differences in the way they operate.

Good luck, Oh, and congratulations on your marriage. :twothumbs

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
A lot of the lights these days are using the cr123 batteries. I wouldn't think most people would mind if they had to order extra batteries. You could get a light like the Nightcore Extreme and still have $$ left over to include a few surefire 123 batteries!!! I use the extreme as my everyday carry and have had no problems so far.