PD30 Arrived... wow!!!

EOppie

Newly Enlightened
0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in Connecticut

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|-------------x------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster

I currently have been looking at the following
Fenix LD01; Fenix TK11; Eagletac T100C2

Open to opinions and other recommendations :poke:

Last edited:

EOppie

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix LD01; Fenix TK11; Eagletac T100C2 Which One?

Any opinions would be appreciated :thinking:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm afraid none of your 3 choices fit your requirements. LD01 isn't a clicky, both TK11 and T100C2 (including LD01) don't have strobe features.

I would recommend Nitecore Defender Infinity, Fenix PD30 or LD20, these will fit most of the above.

Last edited:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm afraid none of your 3 choices fit your requirements. LD01 isn't a clicky, both TK11 and T100C2 (including LD01) don't have strobe features.

I would recommend Nitecore Defender Infinity, Fenix PD30 or LD20, these will fit most of the above.

+1 :thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

I quite like the EagleTac you listed. It does not have strobe but it's a good light.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

The PD30 is a great suggestin. It seems to fit your needs well and it is a very good quality, reliable light. But, I might suggest the P3D Q5 instead. It beam is has a little more flood, but also a bit less throw. You mentioned you would like something with more flood. It's beam is also a bit smoother. You get a great transition from spot to flood. Also, you can get them for about $5 or so less than the PD30. The P3D is the previous version of the PD30 and there are still some left. Battery Junction has them and use the coupon code CPF2008 for 5% discount.

There is one for sale in the cpf marketplace forum. It is olive(love that color) and it is a great price. If you do go with the P3D, make sure you get the Q5 Premium edition. The others have lower output.

EOppie

Newly Enlightened

Well the strobe feature isn't critical...nor is the clicky

However the P3D Q5 doesn't seem to have them either :)

I was basing my list on another thread about an EMT looking for a light, however I am not sure why he wants more throw and less flood. I use a light more for searching around a scene or a person's house...

EOppie

Newly Enlightened

Hmm for some reason I now am liking the Fenix TA30 :) I think just because it looks cooler to me...that's sad

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

Hmm for some reason I now am liking the Fenix TA30 :) I think just because it looks cooler to me...that's sad

The TA30 is a very pretty big light. You really need to look at it compared to other lights. It takes 3xce123's so it makes it very long, but it also has great runtime on high(3.5 hours:thumbsup:) It isn't something you can carry in your pocket if that is important to you. But yes, it is a very good light.

Toaster

Enlightened

You may want to consider the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2. It has L/M/H/Strobe, adjustable focus, and takes 2xCR123 or 1x18650. Looks to be better built than the Fenix TA30/TA20 and should be a lot less annoying to carry since it doesn't have a ridiculously aggressive strike bezel. Doesn't have a clip and doesn't come with a holster. But given the smooth design of the body, finding a generic holster to fit shouldn't be a problem.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 Raptor II

But a little bit pricy imo..

EOppie

Newly Enlightened

+1 Raptor II

But a little bit pricy imo..

Wow, that does look like a nice light...however it is a bit out of what I am looking to spend at first.

EOppie

Newly Enlightened

So I think I like the PD30 Black Premium Q5 the best.

If not, hey an excuse to buy another light :)

I would be interested in a glow in the dark cap for the clicky, so I guess I will start my search

http://www.batteryjunction.com/4parc390reli.html

Last edited:

EOppie

Newly Enlightened
Re: Which One? * Decided on PD30, now what battery option?

I would like to go the rechargeable route, since I don't want to be buried in old cells quickly...and an empty wallet!

This charger/battery set seems to be recommended with the PD30 a fair amount, I assume it will work okay?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/4parc390reli.html

EOppie

Newly Enlightened
Re: PD30 Arrived...Holy Crap!!!

So my PD30 Arrived one day after ordering it, as I didn't realize till I saw tax added that BJ is just up the road from me.

All have to say is I am hooked lovecpf

Thanks to everyone for steering me towards this light. It is mind blowing to be the amount of light it throws for such a small form factor.

All I have to say is I am hooked now :twothumbs

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PD30 Arrived...Holy Crap!!!

Glad you like it, of all my lights its my favorite.The OD finish BJ sells is really nice to if you ever want to get another.

Also if you wanna EDC the PD30 I would suggest ordering a P3D holster from lighthound. Those style holsters are much easier to use especially if you use a lanyard.

Last edited: