Maglite Solitaire Replacement Suggestions

soli

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, short time lurker who is introducing him self to the wide world of torches.

This post may be a little more thinking aloud than questions but all input welcome.

I've currently get a Maglite 3d and a couple of Solitaires of which I am looking to replace the latter with a 1xAAA LED torch. The 3d I'm going to mod at a later date :)

I had considered modding the Solitaires however I'm thinking the Tektite LT-3 Drop-In option is a little expensive for what it is and other homemade option is a little too hackey :)

So that leads me to buying a whole new torch, oh no! ;), It's a little wasteful when I have something I can mod but.... My requirements being it takes 1xAAA (I'll be running Eneloop) and is roughly the same size as the solitaire, a pocket clip wouldnt go a miss either, cost aiming for the 50-60euro mark.

I've been poking around the CPF and other sites for a little while and I believe I've narrowed it down to two torches, eventually after finding that each manufacturer has released 1 or 2 new versions.

They are the Fenix LD01 or the slightly newer LiteFlux LF2XT.

I'm a little torn between the two. From what I can see both torches or at least previous generations get favourable reviews on here with I'd say an almost even split in popularity. I've been looking over the flow chart for the LF2XT and I think my brain is close exploding, and this has me wondering whether it's over kill. But on the flip side does appear to be worth the little extra money, coming in a nice presentation box and there are several additional accessories.

From looking at Light-Reviews Compare tool, while I'm sure I'm reading it wrong (anyone care to correct me) the LD01 appears to perform better, outputting at a higher LUX and for a longer duration on 1xAAA.

Finally, If anyone has any other suggestions that I may have overlooked that'd be great.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So that leads me to buying a whole new torch, oh no! ;), It's a little wasteful when I have something I can mod but.... My requirements being it takes 1xAAA (I'll be running Eneloop) and is roughly the same size as the solitaire, a pocket clip wouldnt go a miss either, cost aiming for the 50-60euro mark.

I have collected a lot of AAA lights here: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Review AAA UK.html and I am working on expanding the roundup.

If you want an even smaller light, I have also made a roundup of them: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Review below AAA UK.html

Some of these lights are brighter than a 3D mag, and this includes both AAA and smaller lights.

copperfox

Enlightened

I hear where you're coming from about the buying vs. modding something you already own. Unfortunately, as you've likely already discovered, the Solitaire is not very easy to modify. I have one, but I've given up on modifying it.

I haven't found too many 1xAAA lights with pocket clips. There is the Streamlight microstream, and the Akoray K-102 from Dealextreme, among others.

I may be biased towards the LiteFlux LF2XT because I just ordered one, but here is why I chose it over the Fenix:

- LF has a neutral tint emitter and totally artifact-free beam
- LF has button clicky which I prefer
- LF has built-in pocket clip, which I wanted (Fenix's could come off)
- LF has a lower low mode which I will use sometimes

I wouldn't worry about the seemingly confusing UI of the LiteFlux if I were you. I had a Novatac a while ago, and once you get used to it, it's easy.

You can also check out the new Lumapower Avenger GX which should be released very soon. It's a 1xAAA, XP-E R2, 3-mode, rear clicky, pocket clip, with memory. There is a thread about it in the marketplace.

Last edited:

soli

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all so far for the links and suggestions. Both the AAA collection and the clip mod had popped up on my radar the other day.

As copperfox pointed out the LF2XT has a clicker switch which I think may just tip the balance. Also when I factor in shipping costs it is only working out about 2euro more expensive than the LD01.

Of course the other option is to do what HKJ did and get them all :)

The Lumapower Avenger GX certainly looks impressive. I'll have to do some reading up and see how it compares and I don't see a price off hand although based on other models it should be comparible.

I note that both the LF2XT and the Avenger GX have a Cree XP-E where as the LD01 has a XR-E. Is this something worth taking into account for someone who is still a layman.

I guess I'll be doing some more reading up over the weekend.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
with all the solitarires I had in my life, I got mad instantly. Crap as crap can!
mechanically good, as is usual with with maglites, but connection problems leading to even less light than when good.
That light class is the one that most suffered from led invention.

direct replacement: Fenix E01
(with is hell of a more rugged and cheap also)
... the lights You mentionned are some steps in output above (thus quite some steps in runtime less) and therefore no replacements, imho

soli

Newly Enlightened
with all the solitarires I had in my life, I got mad instantly. Crap as crap can!

Yeah they do leave a lot to be desired. Mine were all gifted to me. They were quite popular to give as presents back when they first hit the streets

direct replacement: Fenix E01

... the lights You mentionned are some steps in output above (thus quite some steps in runtime less) and therefore no replacements, imho

A very good point, I had looked at the E01 but, while the Solitaire only had one setting I felt I was happy not going for a direct replacement and essentially levelling up as it were but meeting my above mentioned criteria.

I'm aware I'm going to sacrifice battery life going for something fancier. Comparing the manufacturers run times (taken with a pinch of salt) the Solitaire gets 3.5hrs continuous at about 2.5 lumens and the LD01 at 10 lumens (low) does 8hrs going down to 1hr on high (80lumen) which is acceptable to me.

Helstar

Newly Enlightened
My favorite lights are the AAA format. I am still new to the world of torches. But, I will say that I bought an AKOray k-102 for DX and I am loving that light alot!!! It is less ten dollars and small, this is a good replacement for a solitare.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well both lights LD01 and LF2-XT are great lights, I think you'll be happy.

I would consider the Streamlight Microstream if you want a nice light, single mode, for a great price; BUT you can make that your gift light while you get a REAL NICE LIGHT.

The LD01-SS (stainless steel version) is really nice and tough.

The LF2-XT is very new and some problems are being discovered. Still it is a great light, and if the small issues scare you maybe just weight for LiteFlux to respond.

If your going to stick with regular AA, AA NiMH, or AA Lithium cells, then I might lean toward the LD01.

If you think your going to invest in Li-Ion recharger and cells, then the LF2-XT would be the one. Programming the light is more complicated than it needs to be, and I way prefer Ra and NovaTac programming, but you usually program it one. The LF2 also has the CUI mode, so right out of the box you can get great functionality with no programming.

So have I made it easier? I doubt it... some people have managed to get a Microstream apart and put the clicky battery tube on the the Fenix lights.

So what battery, clicky, or twisty, and your courage level... think about all those and pick a light, if you don't like it.... sell it and get the other.

LD01-SS safe, LF2-XT a little less safe, more functionality, and the beauty of customization.

1..2..2..1.....1....1...2...2...2...2..2.....1.1.1.1.:poof: 2

soli

Newly Enlightened
The LD01-SS (stainless steel version) is really nice and tough.

I was looking at this, is there any benefit of getting the SS over the Aluminium version other than a slightly harder wearing material and the 'Special Edition' moniker?

The LF2-XT is very new and some problems are being discovered. Still it is a great light, and if the small issues scare you maybe just weight for LiteFlux to respond.

I've been keeping my eye on this, and while it probably isn't as bad as it appears I do have general bad luck with these things and if a problem exists I get effected.

So I think I'm gonna run with the LD01 for the time being. And possibly get the LF2 XT at a later date, after all I do have 2 Solitaire's I can't be replacing just one ;)

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was looking at this, is there any benefit of getting the SS over the Aluminium version other than a slightly harder wearing material and the 'Special Edition' moniker?

It is not a slightly harder material, it is much more solid and also a bit heavy.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I'm aware I'm going to sacrifice battery life going for something fancier. Comparing the manufacturers run times (taken with a pinch of salt) the Solitaire gets 3.5hrs continuous at about 2.5 lumens and the LD01 at 10 lumens (low) does 8hrs going down to 1hr on high (80lumen) which is acceptable to me.

Well, the Solitaire runtime is a bit less than that. Runtime to 50% is a whopping 12 minutes...

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
this :green:

53400393.jpg

soli

Newly Enlightened
Despite what I said above, I've placed an order on an LD01. Thanks all for the input.