Dropin for 3P size

Moka

Enlightened
Attempting to decide which drop-in to use for my newest aquisition... (well its on it way at the moment... :D)

Got myself a Leef 3P clone, came with a LumensFactory D26 LED dropin...
Wondering whether to keep that one and just use that or get myself an M30 from Gene???

Throwing it out there... Which is better and why etc...?
I'm looking for a thrower... So if anyone has experience with these, I'd love to hear from you as to which one throws further and better...

Cheers,
Moka

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Hi Moka,

The best P60 module for your 3P is the Dereelight 3SD R2 with a smooth reflector. This is the best set-up for throw.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Moka,

The best P60 module for your 3P is the Dereelight 3SD R2 with a smooth reflector. This is the best set-up for throw.

+2
If you want a thrower you will find the Dereelight R2 smooth reflector to be the ultimate thrower. Now, get a 22mm aspheric from DX and it will double that throw:twothumbs at the expense of overall lumens of course.

If you get the Dereelight get the single mode up to 4.2v. My 3 mode version makes 202 out the front lumens as tested by MrGman, but it seems you might get over 220 with the single mode.

Moka

Enlightened
Well I was really looking for single speed :grin2: So the Dereelight single sounds better....
How do the aspheric lenses work with the Bezel??? Never used them before... Can you get bezels with already installed? Or is it DIY:devil:

:shakeheadDX appears to be down atm...
Oh well, my wallet will get a slight reprieve :crackup:

Any other I should consider...?
I decided I should get another malkoff, just because :laughing:

Whats the runtime like of the Dereelights?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Malkoff M30. Also Lumen Factory sells 3.7-4.2 drop ins. Use RCR123, of course, and/or CR123 with Malkoff M30.

Bill

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I was really looking for single speed :grin2: So the Dereelight single sounds better....
Whats the runtime like of the Dereelights?

The single cell Dereelight Drop-Ins (the 3SD and 1S) are high powered, and drive the LED at 1.2 amps. Consequently, they draw between 1100-1300 mA (1.1 to 1.3 amps) from the battery. That's right at, to about 200 mA over the safe limit for an RCR123. Runtime would be about 22-30 minutes. :)

Moka

Enlightened
The single cell Dereelight Drop-Ins (the 3SD and 1S) are high powered, and drive the LED at 1.2 amps. Consequently, they draw between 1100-1300 mA (1.1 to 1.3 amps) from the battery. That's right at, to about 200 mA over the safe limit for an RCR123. Runtime would be about 22-30 minutes. :)

How would the IMR 123 that AW sells stand up to that kinda current draw??? Would that be ok?

Also can anyone answer the question about the aspherics? Can you buy 3/6/9P compatible bezels with them already installed or would I have to DIY it? If so any tips how... =P
I wouldn't mind turning my 3P into an aspheric throwing mosnter =P
Although I think the malkoff will spend most of its time in there...

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would the IMR 123 that AW sells stand up to that kinda current draw??? Would that be ok?

Yep, absolutely fine. The IMR cells would hardly break a sweat at that current. :) Plus, the 3SD and 1S Drop-Ins have built in low-voltage protection.. something you'd want for the IMR cells so they don't get discharged too low. Not a safety thing, just keeps from ruining your cells.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
The aspheric lens is a d.i.y and tricky to focus the R2 perfectly. Although you lose some lumens, it is made up for in lux and throw. I get 24 minutes of runtime using IMR 16340 cell. It's a nice pocket rocket, but i prefer the Dereelight module option over the aspheric.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The aspheric lens is a d.i.y and tricky to focus the R2 perfectly. Although you lose some lumens, it is made up for in lux and throw. I get 24 minutes of runtime using IMR 16340 cell. It's a nice pocket rocket, but i prefer the Dereelight module option over the aspheric.

I agree.... using an spheric in a P60 single emiter drop-in is a DIY deal, but the 22mm aspherics focus perfectly. In the past I would purchase a 26mm aspheric from DX or KD thinking logically, but in reality the smaller diameter aspherics are what you want and will simply drop-in in a D26 size R2 or Q5.

I may have to do a review June 14, 2009 to help others achieve the most possible throw from an R2 P60 type aspheric combo.

I must sleep now, but soon you will all see....

Moka

Enlightened
I agree.... using an spheric in a P60 single emiter drop-in is a DIY deal, but the 22mm aspherics focus perfectly. In the past I would purchase a 26mm aspheric from DX or KD thinking logically, but in reality the smaller diameter aspherics are what you want and will simply drop-in in a D26 size R2 or Q5.

I may have to do a review June 14, 2009 to help others achieve the most possible throw from an R2 P60 type aspheric combo.

I must sleep now, but soon you will all see....

A review/instructional post/thread would be AWESOME! :twothumbs
If you were to do one please post a link on here, I'll have to keep an eye out for it as well :thumbsup:

I think I'll probably end up getting/keeping all three...
The Lumensfactory one is coming with the setup, so don't exactly have to shell out for that, and the M30 will always be a welcome addition to my collection, I could even use it in my C2 with an 18650 or something there abouts :D... So many options I've not thought of...
And then you kind people go throw this Dereelight and Aspheric idea into the ring... No Wonder I'm :broke:

PS: I'm assuming DX is dealextreme... What KD?

Cheers, Moka

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
A review/instructional post/thread would be AWESOME! :twothumbs
If you were to do one please post a link on here, I'll have to keep an eye out for it as well :thumbsup:

I think I'll probably end up getting/keeping all three...
The Lumensfactory one is coming with the setup, so don't exactly have to shell out for that, and the M30 will always be a welcome addition to my collection, I could even use it in my C2 with an 18650 or something there abouts :D... So many options I've not thought of...
And then you kind people go throw this Dereelight and Aspheric idea into the ring... No Wonder I'm :broke:

PS: I'm assuming DX is dealextreme... What KD?

My deerelight at 100 yards (Google earch) wouldn't illuminate a palm tree by my house. I then put a 22mm Deal Extreme aspheric lens and it reaches it plenty bright too. You do loose all your spill.

I have been trying to do a review on a DIY to let others know, but I have been lazy. The 22mm aspherics are about $5 dollars at DX or KD.

Jose

Cheers, Moka

oldpal

Enlightened
Attempting to decide which drop-in to use for my newest aquisition... (well its on it way at the moment... :D)

Got myself a Leef 3P clone, came with a LumensFactory D26 LED dropin...
Wondering whether to keep that one and just use that or get myself an M30 from Gene???

Throwing it out there... Which is better and why etc...?
I'm looking for a thrower... So if anyone has experience with these, I'd love to hear from you as to which one throws further and better...

Cheers,
Moka

I have a SF 3P and ordered a M30WF from Gene. Not much throw with it, but the beam is beautiful and this old 3P looks great with it.

Hugh

Moka

Enlightened
I'm considering an M30W... Later down the track when my wallets recovered from this pounding...

I'll probably get myself a 2nd 3P clone to house it as thus far I really like this setup...

As for this one, it arrived... :-D
With the lumens factory dropin, which is very nice btw... I've ordered an M30, and will be getting a dereelight dropin and aspheric when I get a 2nd bezel...

Damn you all for costing me so much... Lol