Ultralight Flashlight for backpacking?

Red_Fox

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and don't really know much about flashlights. I'm looking to get an ultralight flashlight to use as a headlamp (via Jakstrap). I don't care if it uses AAA or AA batteries, and price is not an issue. What I do care about is that the whole setup (including the Jakstrap and the batteries) weighs 2 oz or less. The Jakstrap weighs 0.7 oz, so the flashlight with the batteries should not be more than 1.3 oz. I want to get the best possible flashlight for the weight. So what is the best flashlight, "pound for pound", in the weight range I specified? The possibilities so far are a Fenix LD01, Liteflux LF2X, and NiteCore EZ AA. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
1.3 ounces = 36.85 grams.

Just take that to the manufacturer www sites and find one that meets your requirement.

4-sevens for starters, they typically list weight specs for all their lights.

Gary123

Enlightened
You're looking for something extremely light. The Zebralight 501 (AA) with its lightweight strap and AA battery weighs 2.22 oz. You may be limited to AAA flashlights as headlights. In that case you will have relatively short runtimes and may need to carry extra batteries.

There is also a CPF Subforum for headlights, look on this page http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single AA cell weighs about 1 oz. so I doubt you will find a light that fits your weight requirement - including those that you mentioned.

Red_Fox

Newly Enlightened
"A single AA cell weighs about 1 oz. so I doubt you will find a light that fits your weight requirement - including those that you mentioned." -rmteo

A single AAA battery weighs 7.8 g, so that means the flashlight would need to be 29 oz or under. Both flashlights I mentioned weigh less than 29 oz according to the official website.

"In that case you will have relatively short runtimes and may need to carry extra batteries." -Gary123

The light will be used approximately 20-30 minutes a night on low or medium setting. High setting will rarely be used. I presume the runtimes should last me a couple of days, and usually give me enough time to get to my next resupply point before the battery dies.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
If you want to use the jackstrap, you can try either the fenix E01 or the Fenix LD01.
They both run off of 1 AAA battery. The E01 is cheaper but only has one output mode. But it will last around 10 good hours of light before you would need to change the batteries. The LD01 has 3 output modes ranging from 8 hours to one hour depending on how bright you want it. They both way under 15g without the battery.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single AAA battery weighs 7.8 g, so that means the flashlight would need to be 29 oz or under. Both flashlights I mentioned weigh less than 29 oz according to the official website.
I was looking at the weight of an AA NiMH, 28gm. Did not think that you would find an AA light that weighs 8gm. or less. AAA is another story.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Aeon would do nicely! That is what I took on my last backpacking trip. I don't know what it weighs though. 35+ hours on low and a high beam that kicks ***.

An Arc AAA with a DS or GS LED and load it with lithium cell is also a good choice.

BTW welcome to CPF!!!

Ubi

Newly Enlightened
The EZ AA seems like it will fit your requirements.

EZAA (0.7oz) + Lithium AA (0.5oz) + Jakstrap (0.7oz) = 1.9oz

Runtime (this is probably accurate for the cool white emitters only)
130 lumens for "up to" 90 minutes
15 lumens for "up to" 20 hours

Best thing is you could request for a warmer emitter which gives better colour rendition and depth perception which is pretty useful during your night hikes.

Your other alternative if you are not using the flashlight for hiking at night would be just to get a couple of photon microlights which is cheap and light

AusKipper

Enlightened
I have both the H501 and the LD01 (in Stainless Steel).

I would say, if its going to be your ONLY light, go for the LD01, just because it throws a bit further. The flood wont be as good of course, but you cant use a floody light to light up something at a distance, but you can use a throwy light to light up something close (not that the LD01 is really a "thrower").

Add in stainless steel (for the LD01) and you have an ultra durable, weatherproof, scratchproof light.

If you will be taking a torch of some sort, with a bit of throw, ignore everything i have just said, and get the Zebralight H501. Most of the time its beam is more useful for camping than the light from the LD01.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
never get just one light if you are going out that far. always have a backup!

so what is your main light if this is the ultralight one for headband?

zebralight h501 is my advice too. it has its own headband and runtimes are fine. good for closeup work at campsite and lighting the immediate area in front of you when walking.. its all flood beam so it really dont work at longer distance.

spare battery is very important.

so if your main light uses cr123 batteries. get your other lights use the same battery. (zebralight h30 then)

if you choose h501 get something like ezaa with it, as it runs on AA too. that way you only basically need to have only 1 battery in your backpack that works on both lights. or the battery in your backup light is the spare if you really are going extremely ultralight.

one flashlight is none. they can fail. always have a backup light source. and in case of disaster have a spare. you might get stranded for longer time. injury or something like that. same goes for food. always prepare to end up beeing there atleast one xtra day.