Acebeam        

Thread: JetBeam Raptor RRT vs. Fenix TA20 (question)

Default JetBeam Raptor RRT vs. Fenix TA20 (question)

I know, I know, these babies are quite new and there isn't a lot of info yet.

I'm overly anxious because I think the Fenix TA20 would make a perfect weaponlight for my AR. Besides the mult-level selector switch, the real selling point for me is the compression spring on the positive end which will keep the batteries from banging around under recoil.

I thought I was sold on the Fenix until I stumbled across the JetBeam Raptor series. My only confusion relates to the way JetBeam describes one of the RRT's features;

Floating positive end, designed for better contact
    Does anyone have a guess at to what this means? Can I assume it means the batteries have compression springs on both ends just like the Fenix TA20?

(this is the feature on the TA20 to which I'm referring)

Default Re: JetBeam Raptor RRT vs. Fenix TA20 (question)

Nevermind...

The Raptors has a spring in the positive terminal, but it gives less than 1 mm movement. I have the RRT-1 and it is one of my most solid lights, it gives the impression of a much better construction than the Fenix TA30 light. The SS bezel and tail part part of this, but also the smooth moving ring gives a better impression.
    I real use I would prefer that the click stops on the ring was a bit more pronounced.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    The Raptors has a spring in the positive terminal, but it gives less than 1 mm movement.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Are you suggesting this amount of movement isn't sufficient for recoil-absorption? Can I assume the Fenix TA20 allows more travel?

Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter View Post
    Are you suggesting this amount of movement isn't sufficient for recoil-absorption? Can I assume the Fenix TA20 allows more travel?
    No, I do not know how much is needed for recoil absorption and how hard the spring has to bee. The spring in the TA30 has a longer travel, but I do not know if it is better.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

I have a TA30, the forward compression spring is pretty compressed when the unit is assembled with batteries. There is probably a small amount of movement during recoil however, there is allready so much pressure that the small amount of movement is all that is needed. I have run a TK11 on my AR, this light has only the tailcap spring. It has never shown any problems due to recoil. The main reason these lights are incorporating the inner spring is because of the circut board. Older incan lights did not have this sensitive piece. They only had to worry about the bulb. LED lights don't have to worry about the bulb anymore, now they have to worry about the circut board.

Both of those lights would work very well as AR platform lights. The Raptor would probably have more throw while the TA20 would have more flood. Pick which one suits your mission requirements and shoot to your hearts content.
    Last edited by msloshooter; 06-12-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: stupidity