Lowest price, made in USA, metal, LED flashlight?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Least expensive, made in USA, metal, LED flashlight?

If you want quality, then Peak or Arc but then your sigline does not match your question... :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic

you could DIY a P60 drop in and use it in the Malkoff 18650 host. You'd have to find a 17mm USA made DC-DC board and a source for yellow-backed XR-E emitters. Alternately you could DIY a resistor direct drive circuit, using a USA made resistor (if they even exist).

So if you pick components carefully the only thing not USA made would be the reflector/pill assembly.

**edit**
I forgot the emitter "slug"... the thing the XR-E is soldered too. I don't think those are USA origin. I think you probably could fabricate one out of an old solid-copper penny (USA made for that too...LOL).

I am not sure where thermal epoxy is made.

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

... not including DIY's. Surefire 6P LED - $89.

sonrider657

Newly Enlightened

Are Pelicans still Made in USA?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Terima kaseh, TA. I am familiar with Seoul Semiconductor, their origin and their products. :thanks:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Malkoff MD2 and M60 drop-in both U.S.A. Made and arguably the best out there. Plus, with Gene's 2 mode ring it is nearly perfect.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

That combo is about $116 and I do agree it is nice - but it is not the least expensive. Not looking for what is best or otherwise - just doing some market research on pricing strategies for a "Made in USA" light.

nbp

Flashaholic

Inova?

I think they're made here.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is my impression that with companies like Inova, Streamlight, Pelican, etc., some (if not most) of their product line is manufactured offshore - particularly at the lower end of the price scale.

My local Target stocks some Inova's (Bolt series if I'm not mistaken) in the $30-60 price range. I will check to see what the packaging states as to their origin of manufacture.

Marduke

Flashaholic

You could also check one of the dozen or so "what lights are made in the USA" threads.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

That combo is about $116 and I do agree it is nice - but it is not the least expensive. Not looking for what is best or otherwise - just doing some market research on pricing strategies for a "Made in USA" light.

On the one hand it is the least expensive because those components are going to last you a lifetime and so the breakdown of cost versus years of usage makes actual on time hours very very cheap.

You can probably find a $30 light but it really won't last. and so if it breaks in 2 years for whatever reason, which then becomes the cheaper light?

Inova lights are made in the USA, they have the low budget "bolt" series that are sold in stores like Fry's Electronics out here on the west coast. You can get one of those to run on 2 AA batteries at a fairly lower cost.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

The Inova T1 is USA made for about ~$20 IIRC. this is the lowest priced I can think of.
Are streamlight microstreams USA?
Peak has some that are not way over the top.. $$$ wise.

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Batteryjunction lists 2 models of the T1 - 2007, 35 lumens, MSRP $53.95, 2008, 100 lumens, $69.95. Does say that both are "Made in USA". So far, this may may be lowest priced light - $69.95.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

The Microstream is one of Streamlights many Made In China products. The Streamlight website has a 'product facts' pdf for each of their lights. Scroll to the bottom and it will either say Made In China or Assembled in USA.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

On the one hand it is the least expensive because those components are going to last you a lifetime and so the breakdown of cost versus years of usage makes actual on time hours very very cheap.

You can probably find a $30 light but it really won't last. and so if it breaks in 2 years for whatever reason, which then becomes the cheaper light?

Inova lights are made in the USA, they have the low budget "bolt" series that are sold in stores like Fry's Electronics out here on the west coast. You can get one of those to run on 2 AA batteries at a fairly lower cost.

I have changed the title to say "Lowest price" to more clearly indicate what I am after. Terms like "cheapest", "best", "most reliable", "most rugged", etc., are purely subjective terms that reflect the opinion of the poster and not necessarily something that is factual.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

EagleTac Maybe?

IIRC, the metal Pelicans are made in China.

Latest posts