Got an ARC-P (AAA) a few years ago. Is the Fenix E01 brighter?

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Love my ARC-P
At the time, it was an amazing combination of size, runtime, and lumens.
Looks like the Fenix E01 is similar,and puts out a stated 10 lumens.
I have been looking for a review to see if users have confirmed this, but I have not found it so far. it made me wonder what the out put on the P is? Of course, I bet there are different versions of the Arc-P, but surely the one selling now, is not the same as the one from 3 years ago.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Your +P is most likely a Nichia CS. The E01 is brighter for the majority of the runtime, and has a much longer runtime.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc-P was Nichia CS awhile back, then it was the Nichia DS, which was pretty bright. The Current P is Nichia GS, which is the same LED used in the E01. I believe someone did a comparison between the ARC-GS and the E01. Search for it. I believe the current ARC AAA (non premium) is CS

For fenix, the E0 used Nichia CS, and after that it was immediatly the E01.

Crenshaw

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be brighter, but I still like the Arc-P better. I very much prefer the quality of the Arc light over any Fenix.

loanshark

Enlightened
It may be brighter, but I still like the Arc-P better. I very much prefer the quality of the Arc light over any Fenix.

Really? My Fenix lights have all been top notch. I may have to try an arc. Where is a good place to get one?

Haz

Enlightened
For the best bang for your buck, i think the Fenix E01 is ahead, $15 vs $50 is hard to beat. The E01 has better efficiency, so it will be brighter for longer.

If you are to compare both GS ArcP and E01, the Arc will brighter initially, maybe 30 mins, because it's driven harder, but for the remaining hours remaining the E01 will be brighter.

The ArcAAA is smaller, which may make alot of difference in a tight jeans pocket, so if you want the smaller size, i think ArcAAA is the way to go.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are good

I like the Arc better though. The Arc is brighter (even the CS LED version), has a more durable anodized coating, better o-ring sealing (the fenix is poor), smaller form factor,wider beam pattern, does not have a battery spring on the negative side of the battery that can disintegrate (if you have a leaking battery), a more robust battery contact on the positive side of the battery, and a nicer fit and finish. However, the fenix does have a much longer run time.

Buy both and try for yourself.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
yes.

My E0 is ~6 Lumens (similar to your Arc). Current GS emitter E01 and gerber UI lights are slight but noticeably brighter than the older CS/DS lights.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are good

I like the Arc better though. The Arc is brighter (even the CS LED version), has a more durable anodized coating, better o-ring sealing (the fenix is poor), smaller form factor,wider beam pattern, does not have a battery spring on the negative side of the battery that can disintegrate (if you have a leaking battery), a more robust battery contact on the positive side of the battery, and a nicer fit and finish. However, the fenix does have a much longer run time.

I dont wish to start an arguement.. but how is the O-ring seal on the arc make the one on the fenix "poor" they are both rather small o-rings.

Personally, i prefer battery springs as opposed to a battery pedestal (battery crusher)

Crenshaw

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont wish to start an arguement.. but how is the O-ring seal on the arc make the one on the fenix "poor" they are both rather small o-rings.

Personally, i prefer battery springs as opposed to a battery pedestal (battery crusher)

Crenshaw

No argument needed. both are good lights I just prefer the Arc.

I found the fenix is not as water resistant as the Arc.If you take the o-ring off, it is a lower quality o-ring. I discovered this while white water rafting.

As far as the battery spring, I guess its a matter of personal preference. I know I wont over tighten the head to crush the battery, but I am still at risk of a leaking battery.

Something else to add, I have found on one of the lights it had very little epoxy on the circuit board. I believe other members have found the same thing with their e01

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Both are good

The Arc is brighter for the first half hour, the E01 is brighter for the next 12 or so hours....

The more durable anodized threads which reduce galling and flickering are also a big plus, along with the more robust body construction. I find the E01 to be MORE water resistant, since many of the more recent Arc have a nasty habit of having an exposed o-ring when turned off.

I also have a personal preference to actual regulation, efficient circuit, and a non-battery crusher design...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my ARC's, but they aren't perfect. At least not all of them. I paid $55 to get an ARC GS ($5 shipping) and this is what I got.

Doesn't matter how good the o-ring is if it's exposed:

If that wasn't bad enough, the emitter was so far off center I'd have to point the light away from my target to light it up:

How about the HA?

ARC quality? Maybe on most units, but not this one. Poor quality control. This PREMIUM light should never had been sent out the door.

ARC did replace this light for a good one, but I paid for the return shipping and waited nearly a month for a replacement. So I have a pretty nice ARC GS that cost me about $60.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc is brighter for the first half hour, the E01 is brighter for the next 12 or so hours....

The more durable anodized threads which reduce galling and flickering are also a big plus, along with the more robust body construction. I find the E01 to be MORE water resistant, since many of the more recent Arc have a nasty habit of having an exposed o-ring when turned off.

I also have a personal preference to actual regulation, efficient circuit, and a non-battery crusher design...

The Arc is brighter than the e01 for more than just the first half hour, its at least over an hour if not more when using alkalines. That is also when it is run continuously. During Intermittent use, its even longer due to the recovery rate of alkaline batteries. The Arc will also give flat brighter regulation if you use Energizer lithium.

The fenix is not more water resistant from my experience with them, Just look at the o-ring gland and lower quality o-ring being used.Maybe mine are the exceptions the same way some people have exposed o-rings in there arcs.One way to find out is to bring your lights to a rolex dealer and have a water resistance test done on both lights and find out for yourself.

But I am not here to get into a pissing match, if you love your fenix GREAT!! Its a great light for the money.

To the original poster.

You might want to check out the new Peak Eiger. It looks promising. Its similar to the Arc but uses a rebel led and is available from 6 to 100 lumens with decent runtimes depending on the lumen level you choose. But then again its a new design that has not been tried and tested.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the original poster.

You might want to check out the new Peak Eiger. It looks promising. Its similar to the Arc but uses a rebel led and is available from 6 to 100 lumens with decent runtimes depending on the lumen level you choose. But then again its a new design that has not been tried and tested.
I want to check out that Eiger, myself.

My Arc AAA-P is an older one, and it is much better made than any Fenix I've ever seen. As it should be, at triple the cost of an E01.
I don't doubt the quality issues people have voiced about Arc, however disappointing they are to hear and see. It's not the first time they've passed obvious problems that should have never been packaged on to the customer(mine is a replacement for a faulty one), and I'm not a fan of the company at all. I don't keep track of this stuff, but had, however, hoped that I could buy a newer Arc AAA with the same level of quality as the one I have now, but with the updated emitter at some point-like if mine ever finally dies, or is lost.
I've had several of the E01s. Bought one for myself whenever I bought some as gifts, and have ended up giving away all of the "keepers", too. None of the people I've given them to have had any complaints, I just don't care for them for various reasons.

I hope that new Peak is something I'll like. Had a couple of the Matterhorns, and gave those away, too.
I'm really picky about a keychain light, and am at a loss right now to choose a replacement should I need one for my Arc. It's a matter of form and quality, since any of them is bright enough, and has plenty of runtime for me.
The only thing I've seen that I would carry in that size range is one of Fred's custom Killer AAAs, and it's fatter(plus over $100).

paulr

Flashaholic
The early Arc GS's had some problems that got sorted out as far as anyone can tell. That is probably what WadeF had before Arc replaced it. My unit doesn't have any such problems. I've had about 10 Arc AAA's over the years, with their various limitations, and I've enjoyed them all. I've also had a few E01's and I can't dispute that they're more cost effective than the Arc's in pure functional terms, but as soon as you own more than one small flashlight you're already not in it for pure utilitarian purposes. So it's mainly a matter of whether you're spending within your means and getting satisfaction for it, not about how much any particular light costs.

If you're after pure lumens then neither of these lights is going to satisfy. They are long-running, low powered, no-frills close range lights. For higher power, I'm pretty happy with my Fenix LD01 in stainless steel (about 10x as bright as the E01) and will confess that I carry it more often than I carry an Arc these days. I don't feel the sort of affection for it that I do for the Arcs though.

There were some long threads on the E01 when it first came out, and my conclusion was that its actual output is around 5.5 or 6 lumens, the 10 lumen figure being the notorious "bulb lumens" or some such nonsense. The Arc GS is somewhat brighter with a fresh battery, but runs at higher current so drains the battery faster. The Arc circuit is also designed (on purpose) so that the light dims noticably as the battery wears down, to optimize battery performance and give you a bit of indication of what condition the battery is in. The Fenix stays at constant brightness through the entire run, til it reaches a brief poop-out at the end. I prefer the Arc approach but lots of other users like flat regulation better.

The current spiffiest of these lights is the new Arc/McGizmo collaboration in titanium, at around $150. My flashaholism is sort of in remission so I haven't brought myself to spring the cash for one of those, but will probably do so eventually.

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc-P is from an American company and is made in America. While E01 is from a Chinese company and is made in China.

Think if you're paying more you'd be paying for the quality?
To be honest, it's really a hit or miss thing. But one thing is for sure, you'd be paying more to keep the Americans employed than keeping the Chinese employed lol

I never had am ARC, but my E01 is pretty damn good for the price, and I can't see how much better can $35 extra make.
As if you'd go SCUBA diving with these lights!
As for the anodization, i trust the ARC would last longer, but you pay 100%+ price premium for it, and by the time you see the difference, a newer model would be out already.

So if you guy want to feel better for helping the US economy, go for ARC. If you's want a light that's practically as good as the ARC-P AAA @ steep discount, just go for the E01.