Reading on a plane (coach class)

batman

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Long time no post but I've been reading up lately. I have a question as to what type of light might be perfect for reading while on long flights across the pacific. I often fly across the pacific in darkness(12-16 hour flight in coach class)..and I would like to read without using the overhead light because it's too bright and distracting for other passengers to sleep.
I think the photon freedom's lowest output might be perfect, loooong runtime, and discreet enough to put in my carry on.
Any other suggstions? Would the LOD-CE on low mode be too bright for my needs? (advertised as 10 lumens so i presume acutally about 6 torch lumens.)

batman.

EDIT: This post was supposed to go in the general flashlight discussion forum. I do apologize.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Pelicanlight VB3 2220 would work well. It sits in your pocket and flips up to turn on. Also the Versabrite, tho a little larger, it gives a little more flexibility in aiming the light.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the red output of the Petzl E+lite headlamp?

Very very tiny (runs on two CR2032 button cells) and it is easy to either wear on your head (dont get better for reading) or clip to your shirt... It is fully 360 deg rotatable as its mounted on a ball joint. On top of that, it is also a great headlamp with 5 modes and is rather inexpensive ($19 to $23). I carry one with me everywhere in my EDC bag.

http://www.botachtactical.com/peehe.html

http://www.rei.com/product/749039 - great pics here.

I use this exact setup on planes and buses at night - works like a charm :twothumbs

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Zebralight H501 clipped to the front shirt pocket is excellent for hands free reading and also very discreet.

dilbert

Enlightened
Zebralight H501 clipped to the front shirt pocket is excellent for hands free reading and also very discreet.

The H501W on low is my preferred reading light. It's good on planes, in cars, camping, or even in bed. I usually use the headband though, for that extra nerd factor.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Photon Rex is another to consider. It's been my #1 "reading in bed" light for awhile now. Works like the Freedom, but charges from other batteries, and is surprisingly bright when needed.

For a little more money the new LiteFlux LF2XT also has a nice variable output and a good beam for reading, while running on 1 AAA.

Geoff

Kremer

Enlightened
I used my L0D last year for that and it was great, maybe borderline too bright, but still less than the overhead by far. I tucked it over my ear for a bit, then stuck it in my shirt collar, aiming it how I liked.

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I use a Nitecore Extreme on the lowest setting with a Surefire F04 diffuser. Really nice white light. Of course, you have to hold the thing, so some of the hands free options people have mentioned might be better.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the red output of the Petzl E+lite headlamp?

Very very tiny (runs on two CR2032 button cells) and it is easy to either wear on your head (dont get better for reading) or clip to your shirt... It is fully 360 deg rotatable as its mounted on a ball joint. On top of that, it is also a great headlamp with 5 modes and is rather inexpensive ($19 to $23). I carry one with me everywhere in my EDC bag.

http://www.botachtactical.com/peehe.html

http://www.rei.com/product/749039 - great pics here.

I use this exact setup on planes and buses at night - works like a charm :twothumbs

Shouldn't have read that! :ohgeez:Now I'll have to go out and order both, Zebralight for runtime and Petzl for the Red. lovecpf:broke:

batman

Enlightened
Ok, i've looked at every single light so far that you guys recommended. I like the new liteflux LF2XT and Lumapower avengers..Liteflux and lumapower both seem to be introducing the best AAA lights, but it's a close draw between them, the zebralight h501w, or just a simple photon freedom/rex.

Is the Zebra H501 w/ pocket clip too fat to be EDC'able? At this point if the Zebra H501 is thin enough I might squeeze the trigger on it rather than a Lumapower or Liteflux.

This is really getting great!

Batman

Last edited:

Rexlion

Enlightened
The new Quark AA or 123 would work. Just set the light level where you want it and clip it to a ballcap brim. Although, it wouldn't be as easy to set an angle on the light as it is with most headlamps. But on the upside, the Quark would be a nice EDC besides.

da.gee

Enlightened
The 501 is nearly identical in dimension to my Muyshondt Nautilus which I EDC so I would say, yes, it is EDC-able.

batman

Enlightened
Yeah i think the zebralight would be the most practical..it also has a hard hitting "high mode" incase the unthinkable does happen on the plane.

-In the AAA form factor I'm a little confused. Is the Fenix LD01 with it's direct drive operation still brighter than the new LF2xT or the Lumapower Avenger GX?

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
Thanks to this thread, I talked myself into needing a Zebralight 60W.I read with my headlamp on and the low on my EOS is too high. Looking forward to another W tint.