Proof of Concept LED Project

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
So cool!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shrap

Enlightened
It looks like it bolts to the holster - nice work. FWIW, its the exact same phone that I own (Motorola StarTAC).

Doesn't Nokia have a gimmicky phone with a flashlight, FM radio, and MP3 player out now?

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
As along time Star Tac user myself, I would love one of those, especialy since since my OEM model is about to crack at the clip attachment point.

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree with Benthead, I've wanted a cell phone with a light in it for a long time. There's already that nice fat battery pack to power it, so you'd just add the LED.

In fact you could make a Star Tac battery pack with an LED built into one corner, 3.6 volt direct drive with a little pushbutton on the side to activate it. That would make a dandy accessory to sell in phone stores. You could do something similar for some other phones like the Nokia 5100. Unfortunately, most newer phones have completely internal batteries, so a LED would have to be built into the phone itself, which is harder.

I think paulr has it all figured out. I agree totally with him. The manufacturer did want the lighting on the carry clip, so thats what we did. They liked the concept enough that they are sending one of their future phones. The next prototype will be more than a wimpy model and will be made for a Sonic. If I could score (beg/borrow or steal) one of these it could make me replace my beloved Nokia phone.

Apoligies/ Explanation

It was brought to my attention that the above poster "Gransee" is Peter Gransee father of the ARC Flashlight Company. Peter was gracious enough to extend a compliment about this project and I replied that the next revision would use a competitors light in it. I should have just kept my mouth shut. I was just plain rude. I should not have shared anymore additional information about future projects (this would of also saved me an *** chewing here).
I am sorry and here's the only explanation I have:
I know who Peter is (and have spoken to him last week) but I did not recognize him as the as the poster. This is completely my fault. How could I have misidentified him? I don't know but I did. I strongly believe that he has an excellent product. I belive it so strongly that we sell his product http://www.countycomm.com/light3.htm . Lets put on our businessman's hat: The ARC costs less (at $16.50 and is a good light) however, there is already a established business relationship between CMG and our company. We have proven ourselves to CMG and CMG has proven themselves to us by filling all of our contracts on time to specification as agreed to. It only makes common sence for us to work with companys we have a good relationship with. Perhaps we will have a relationship with ARC in the future.