Surefire M951 Weaponlight - How to replace lamp?

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I just received a Surefire M951 Weaponlight to mount on my AR-15. I've heard of guys here swapping the P60 for other lamps like the M60 and others. I'd like to drop in a M60 in mine, but I have no idea how to separate the head from the collar! It seems like there is some kind of superglue or loctite holding it together tightly... is that how it is supposed to be? I would assume the P60 is supposed to be replaceable, since it is an incan lamp. Can somebody give me some tips on how to do this?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire M951 Weaponlight - Drop-in?

There's no adhesive used in the fit. Typically they aren't usually as tight as you've described but you may have to use a strap wrench or mouse pad to get enough friction to rotate the head.

BSBG

Enlightened
Can somebody give me some tips on how to do this?

As Patriot said, it shouldn't be that hard - usually just grab and twist.

Try warming it up first - place it in the sun for a an hour and see if that helps.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Can you share any photos please?

The M95 features the LU60 Lamp Module.

The LU60 Lamp Module consists of the "M2" Shock Isolated Bezel, the P60 Lamp Assembly, and the LU60 Lamp Module Adapter Collar.

The Lamp Module Adapter Collar allows the Lamp Module to attach to the Millennium Universal Housing Body (called the MH90).

The current version of the LU60 Lamp Module Adapter Collar has notches cut into both sets of threads to enable it to be removed from the Shock Isolated Bezel, or the Millennium Universal Housing Body by means of a suitable screwdriver shaft (etc) or the back of a strong blade (etc).

Here is a photo of an early version of the adapter collar:
SureFire%20LU60%2064.jpg

Here is an example of a later version of the adapter collar:
al-lu60a.jpg

I'm not able to post photos of the current version but you can email for them if you want.
Edit: or see it here

SureFire has never wet-sealed (glued) any of these threads as the P60 is a user-replaceable consumable. The reason why SureFire have cut notches into the Lamp Module Adapter Collar threads is because they can be a pain to unscrew from both the bezel and from the body as it's difficult to get sufficient grip (regardless of the styling SureFire use) without the appropriate (sic) wrench.

Please let us know how you get on!

Al :)

Last edited:

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Which version of the bezel you have doesn't seem to be a factor.

If your Lamp Module Adapter Collar does not have the notches you'll need a wrench of subtle size to assist unscrewing. The more suitable the less chance of mashing up the metal...

kindred_spirits

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys!!! The collar did indeed have the notches, so it was a breeze to unscrew! Should of known in the first place!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you bore with a simple tool that attaches to a hand drill like I did, you can then fit any P60 drop-in. I used a Malkoff M60 and M60 MC-E.

P1190009.jpg

Also,
If you have a Surefire A21 universal housing body, it will attach to the adaptor and you will have a mini Surefire 3P.
P1190010.jpg
P1210032.jpg

Last edited:

Alloy123

Newly Enlightened
bigchelis

Can you please post more info about this "boreing" you speak of? I have SF M952 and have had no luck in locating a suitable drop in p60 style led lamp. Or better yet, if I sent the lu60 module, could you bore it for me?

Thanks!