Fenix LD01 with Matt Cucchiara Ti pocket clip

exodus125

Enlightened
A few weeks ago I had posted a thread asking for suggestions on a good pocket clip for a Fenix LD01. Right off the bat, Pontiaker, offered to help me out by modding the light with a custom Titanium pocket clip for free, even offered to replace the light with a new one if I didn't like it or if he messed it up in some way. At first I thought maybe he was kidding, but he was serious, what a great guy huh?

Well, yesterdya I got the light back. I am very pleased with the results. :drool:The light can still stand , as a matter of fact, the extra surface area from the clip end makes it even more stable. An additional bonus from a clip is that the light is now impossible to roll. Beautiful clip, still can't believe Matt was so generous as to offer to do this for me. :huh:

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

The space near the screws looks like a good spot for a tritium vial, haven't installed it yet, wanted to hear some input on it:

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

f7.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

THANKS MATT

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice! I carry my LD01 on the key chain, but I would not mind having one of my spare LD01-SS models modified with that. A black AlTiN coating would be very cool.

Maybe we need to get him to look at the EZ-AA thread about clips. That light needs a clip like this, and it looks like the same mounting would work. Color might be more of an issue for the EZ-AA though.

Since Pontiaker makes custom clips for a few things, I'm guessing we'll be able to order these soon?

Thanks for posting your pictures.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is it true that ny LD01 will actually be discernably brighter with a lithium battery rather than an alkaline battery?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the clip should not be shorter as to not extend into the head area, typically the clip would be shorter. The clip looks adjusted so as to not scrap the annodizing, but it could still get in the was when twisting.

Still I'd like a good clip and this seems like the first one so far.

recDNA

Flashaholic

When they show the curve for the 10440 stating at 100% is that 80 lumens or MORE than 80 lumens? If less than the curve shows the ordinary AAA never gets to 80 lumens?

Do they sell 3.7V 10440 AAA in stores? If not where would you suggest I buy them? Are they rechargeable? If I simply buy one does it come already charged?

I'm not a EE nor a Physics teacher!

Last edited:

nden

Newly Enlightened
Is it me or not.

I think it's kinda bulky to the light that small. I refer the original clip that comes with it (but I would refer something like the D10 clip)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
When they show the curve for the 10440 stating at 100% is that 80 lumens or MORE than 80 lumens? If less than the curve shows the ordinary AAA never gets to 80 lumens?

Do they sell 3.7V 10440 AAA in stores? If not where would you suggest I buy them? Are they rechargeable? If I simply buy one does it come already charged?

I'm not a EE nor a Physics teacher!

The 10440 will direct drive the LED. It will generate around 200 lumens or more out the front! :)

You won't find 10440's in stores most likely. Unless you like next to Lighthound or someone who carries them. :)

I order mine from AW directly in his for sale topic on CPFMP. Or you should be able to order them from lighthound.com and other online dealers.

Be warned, 10440 batteries aren't toys, they can be dangerous if not handled properly and can pose a risk even when used properly. I wouldn't recommend running a LD01 on TURBO for long periods of time as it will heat up very fast. The light just isn't designed to have the LED driven that hard for long, there is little mass to heat sink it.

Also 10440's aren't protected, so you run the risk of over discharging them (which can ruin them) or over charging them in a faulty charger, etc.

Be sure to read up on lithium-ion battery safety before fooling around with them. We don't want to see anyone on CPF go :poof:

recDNA

Flashaholic
The 10440 will direct drive the LED. It will generate around 200 lumens or more out the front! :)

You won't find 10440's in stores most likely. Unless you like next to Lighthound or someone who carries them. :)

I order mine from AW directly in his for sale topic on CPFMP. Or you should be able to order them from lighthound.com and other online dealers.

Be warned, 10440 batteries aren't toys, they can be dangerous if not handled properly and can pose a risk even when used properly. I wouldn't recommend running a LD01 on TURBO for long periods of time as it will heat up very fast. The light just isn't designed to have the LED driven that hard for long, there is little mass to heat sink it.

Also 10440's aren't protected, so you run the risk of over discharging them (which can ruin them) or over charging them in a faulty charger, etc.

Be sure to read up on lithium-ion battery safety before fooling around with them. We don't want to see anyone on CPF go :poof:

200 lumens! Unbelieveable! Can I use the AA version in my Fenix E20? It only has one mode so I imagine heat could be a problem.

I might just leave one 10440 in my trunk in case I need more light from my LD-01 in an emergency...unless the summer heat blows them up. I'll try googling Li-Ion battery safety and see what I get.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A few weeks ago I had posted a thread asking for suggestions on a good pocket clip for a Fenix LD01. Right off the bat, Pontiaker, offered to help me out by modding the light with a custom Titanium pocket clip for free, even offered to replace the light with a new one if I didn't like it or if he messed it up in some way. At first I thought maybe he was kidding, but he was serious, what a great guy huh?

f1.jpg

A wonderful gesture on his part indeed. Is he considering offering this service, for a fee, to others?

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that really turned out nice! I remember reading your thread where he offered to install the clip out of the blue, which was extremely kind of him.

I've been toying with the idea of fabricating a new clip for my D10. The stock clip is just too soft for my liking. That there has given me a few ideas. hmmm... :)

xp860923

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD01 is a EDC flashlight that can be clip it to my keyring, I carry it every day. lovecpf

Latest posts