Opalec Newbeam vs. BB400 vs. Inretech AA Mods ??

jtice

Flashaholic
I'm tring to deside...
Which would be the best for the money.
The Opalec Newbeam
The BadBoy 400 Q3L which I think is out of stock now.
or The Inretech Moded AA MiniMag?

I am pretty sure that the Newbeam is more of a flood light,,, which is good for certain things, but most of the time, I prefer a focused beam.

So, I think the BB and the Inretech are more focused.
Which of those two are the Brighttest, and most focused.

Ive heard alot of great things about the BB400 Q3L. And as far a price ,,, I would think its better. Its $45 just for the mod, not including the Mag.
Inretech sells the mod already in the MiniMag for $35.
$25 for just the dropin.
If the focus is not as good on the Inretech... can I replace the optic with a NX05?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The BadBoy and the Intetech both come with NX05's! The real difference between the two, is that the BadBoy is regulated and the Inretech is direct drive.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really a trade-off between brightness and runtime, the BB will be substantially brighter but the Inretech will run a lot longer.

jtice

Flashaholic
AHH, ok, thats is probably why the Inretech is so cheap then huh?
Sence it doesnt have the converter board, and is direct drive? OK, thank.

Now,.... if they would just make a CYAN BadBoy I'd be set !!!

jtice

Flashaholic
The Opalec is probably not much dimmer, but it has NO OPTICS. And has 3 led's, making it a flooding light. Like I said, , good for certain tasks. Reading maps, under the hood of a car, in a tent, etc. It will not "throw" light long distances.

I'm not sure about actual lumen ratings or anything.

From what people are saying... the Opalec= soft flooding light
Inretech= smae focus as BodBoy, but not as bright.
BadBoy=focused beam, brightest of the three. (and most expensive,,, of corse)

Does anyone know if they are going to start making CYAN BadBoys?

B@rt

Flashaholic
A 5 mm LED is rated at 1 Lumen, while a Luxeon produces over 15 Lumens... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I am pretty sure it will be substantially dimmer than the LS lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

btw, the 5mm LEDs do have lenses, They are incorporated in the housing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Bart....
I see that the Opalec suplies a "thing" that looks kinda like a lens,,, but I thought is was just a retaining ring holder for the leds.

It looked black in the pics? hmmmmm

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if they are going to start making CYAN BadBoys?

You can always buy yourself a Cyan emitter and solder it in place of the original LS... Or you could have some of modders here do it...

And Bart meant the white plastic cone that is, essentially, the LED dome... Essentially, the LS is double-optic'ed, since the LS itself has a dome (which acts like an optic) and the NX01/05/30... The Opalec only has its LED domes...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Opalec Newbeam vs. BB400 vs. Inretech AA Mods

jtice,
I don't have a newbeam but something that is pretty much the same thing. A Streamlight Batonlight running on 3N cells with 3 Nichia LEDs. It gives off a soft white flood light that has no "throw" and is not very bright.
Have two BB400 Q3L lights (that is why they are out of stock!) One in a Brinkmann Legend and the other in a Minimag with Kroll tailswitch. I switch out between the NX05 and McFlood optics. No question about it, the BB400 Q3 blows the Streamlight away! Much, much brighter with either the NX-05 optics or McFlood. Once I get my Arc AAA and either the X1 or Firefly, the Streamlight is leaving the collection.
The newbeam will give much longer battery life, the BB400 Q3 is about 3 hours, newbeam is at least 10 hours. For retina burning 2AA power, the BB400 Q3 is hard to beat. The Inretech 2AA Luxeon is an awesome compromise, it will burn for days (weeks) and be much brighter than the Newbeam for as long as the newbeam runs. Then it will get gradually dimmer for the next few weeks.
For the price, I would put the Inretech as first choice. For max brightness, the BB400 Q3L will not let you down. Since the Inretech runs longer and brighter than the newbeam and the BB400 Q3 is much brighter...whey would you get a newbeam? The McFlood aluminum optics would fit in the Inretech perfectly and give you a better, brighter, whiter flood than the newbeam and the batteries would last longer.
When my mini-LGI gets back from Iraq, it will be the host of the McFlood as my second EDC.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
I have an Opalec coming my way. It's purpose is to be a light just to have in my truck. I guess I should get me a BadBoy too since it seems to get great reviews here. What I really want is a NexNeedle. Maybe I'll ask Mr Bulk and see what he will say.

jtice

Flashaholic
BentHeadTX.....

Hmmmm, nice. I have just started learning about the Inretech. Wow, your right, the heck with the newbeam!!! Heck, you even get the MiniM*g included in the Inretech one !!!, plus it comes in more colors.

I will get instead of the Newbeam. Then I was thinking of getting a BB400 Q3l... but,, now I see on thier site, that they have a MM600 Q3L !!! I'm sure its much brighter right?
How do you think the runtime compares to the BB400?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jtice, where did you see the MM600????

BTW, Mag had a little run-in legal-wise with a favorite company here awhile back, and some people, myself intially, are still fuming about Mag's legal wranglings... Hence the intolerance to spelling M*g or Gag or M$g, etc...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

jtice,
They have a BB600 Q3L? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Sounds like a nasty dropin but I would wonder about getting rid of the heat in a Minim*g? A Brinkmann might do it. For $25 get the Inretech and if you want to change it out (or just do the CPF thing and buy them both) you could put in the BB400.
From what I understand, M*g sued Arc because they think that the AAA looks too much like the M*g Solitaire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Soooo, we tend to use the * to protest in a way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

!!!! M*G !!! Those F**K**S !!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I will protest... by buying a M*G.. and ripping its guts out !!!

And replacing them with cool LED's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I have a Cyan MadMax which is one bright puppy...hurts my eyes if I shine it a something white that is too close. I don't know what their policy is about custom sandwiches, but I'll betcha that if you ask real nice, they might put one together for you.

In my experience, the Newbeam is great in a car, the light is very smooth and does not overpower your night vision. Ane remember. the Newbeam is the only light with a low power alarm!

jtice

Flashaholic

FalconFX.....

If Im looking for the brightest MiniM*G dropin,,, shouldnt I go for the MM+ ?

Pro..Cons..