Zebralight H501 water leak => TOP Rate customer service!!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just a little heads up.. My 1-week old H501 took on water a couple days ago and now it will not stop the L-M-H cycle. It just keep going, and I can't get it to remain fixed at any selected level.

I had the light clipped to my shirt collar and went to wash my face. Water dripped down my chin a little and got into the rubber switch boot. (I think, because it worked fine prior to getting wet). I tried different cells and they all behave the same way.

So I contacted them for a repair... We'll see what happens next.

Just watch out near water, I don't think my particular unit was 100% water tight.

**EDIT**
I now realize this has already been discussed. here...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/228915

I don't think there is any value-add in opening old wounds. Mods please feel free to lock/delete my thread as you see fit, I have uncovered the information I was looking for.

**EDIT #2**
I have received my replacement unit from Zebralight and this one works great!! Overall I am happy with my purchase and even happier with ZLs prompt customer service. See the details in post #50 below

Last edited:

1anrm

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight Water damage (potentially)... H501

Hi there,
Same thing happened to me the first time I got my H501, I just washed it in running water to get rid of any oils from manufacturing and it started to 'dance' in all the modes anyway I took the rubber boot off and air sprayed it right away. When i took the rubber boot off I can see how easily water can go inside. It is not a very good seal. Please let us know what Zebralight has to say in this.
thanks

Foxx510

Enlightened

Thanks for the warning. I was planning to use mine fishing when I got my replacement, assuming it was waterproof.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Zebralight water-resistance?.... CAUTION!!

Hi there,
Same thing happened to me the first time I got my H501, I just washed it in running water to get rid of any oils from manufacturing and it started to 'dance' in all the modes anyway I took the rubber boot off and air sprayed it right away. When i took the rubber boot off I can see how easily water can go inside. It is not a very good seal. Please let us know what Zebralight has to say in this.
thanks

Thanks for the tip. I was reluctant to pull off the switch boot, so I removed the cell and blew a hot hairdryer into the tube and over the top of the light. I placed it on a warm windowsill to dry. Sure enough... good as new!! Works fine.

For obvious reasons I am hesitant to try and replicate the failure, but I am pretty certain the cause of mine going bonkos is water leakage. I can easily shift and move the switch boot, slide it back and forth within the cap. So it clearly is not a water tight seal. Almost all my lights have water tight switch boot seals, so I am very familiar with what one is supposed to feel /look like.

I sent an email to Zebralight and the CS rep told me they will be opening up a US service center towards the end of the week. She said she'd get back to me later in the week to arrange a CS return. I still want to RMA it and see if their techs can improve on the water resistance.

For now I'll just have to be more carefull with it. I am not sure if my unit is a discrepancy, or if it is the norm. Based on my isolated incident (and feedback from the other member in this thread), I would hesitate to recommend one of these if you are into outdoor/extreme use and need water resistance. Mine failed within 3-4 minutes of (what I would consider) light splash water exposure. I am certain shallow submersion or a heavy rain for any time duration would kill it.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I was playing around with mine last night and I can use my fingers to spin the rubber switch boot if I grasp it firmly. So its definitely loose and not creating a water tight seal. I am not sure of this is intended or not, but its just an observation.

The intent of this thread is not to berate a great product (H501), thats backed by a great company. There are FAR too many strengths that easily outweigh its weaknesses. I completely recommend the H501 to anyone, looking for a floody task-light.... just don't get it wet. I could envision a member getting it dirty and running it under a faucet to clean it off, thinking its splash resistant.

If you do get it wet, use a hairdryer to dry the inside and warm the outside, set it on a warm windowsill to dry for a couple nights. If that still doesn't do it send Zebralight an email requesting service-repair.

Last edited:

SilentK

Enlightened
Re: *WARNING* Zebralights + water resistance

I think this may be a bad case of quality control as far as the switch goes. Seeing as not to long ago, after a party, i found my zebralight at the bottom of an inground pool. Dont know how it happened (i think someone wanted to go night swimming and asked if they could use my light) It was left on medium or high, because i tested the cell when i got home and it was drained. i slamed a new cell in, she worked just like the day i got her. I also know of some other members doing the "sink test" with theirs and it worked just fine. i just dont see how the same product could be 8-9 feet under water for hours and still work, yet someone else drip water on it and fry it.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I threw my zebralight into a pool at a partyh where the pool lights were out. I left it on, and about an hour later when i happened to look at it, it was cycling. i dove in and grabbed it. Changing out the battery didnt work. so when i got home, i unscrewed the top, and when i put it back, it was working fine.

I have also heard similar stories from other zebra light water users.

Crenshaw

SilentK

Enlightened

I would be willing to pay $15-20 more if they had better water resistance and tightened up quality standards. there are way to many people with zebralights that are starting to not work. i am just happy i did not get a screwed up one. :twothumbs

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

They should do a recall. Meanwhile, super glue or silicon epoxy applied between the push button and the light body should prevent water from getting inside.

dcycleman

Enlightened

yup, I remember a heated thread not too long ago about zebralight quality and water resistance. so much for their IPXBULL$%^ standard.

Mikellen

Enlightened

Have there been any concerns about water resistance (lack of) with the H50 or just with the H501 version? Is the H50 more water resistant?

Thank you.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I seem to have found it... Its a locked thread so I don't see the point in re-hashing and beating on each other over specs, standards and marketing claims.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/228915

Mods feel free to lock my thread... I have uncovered the information I was looking for.

;)

Last edited:

Haz

Enlightened

I wished they make a twisty version, similar to the H50, so it's more water resistant, or redesign the switch.

lebox97

Enlightened

is this the best way to check for this concern?
I tried this on mine and am unable to move/spin the boot which makes me feel a bit better...

I have no intention or expectation of going swimming with this light - but it would be nice to feel confident that a sudden rain downpour is not going to be a concern - while I am trying to get where I am going! :oops:

cheers

I was playing around with mine last night and I can use my fingers to spin the rubber switch boot if I grasp it firmly. So its definitely loose and not creating a water tight seal.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

When I switched the cover to the GITD for my H60, I also thought that the cover might not be so watertight. So I added just a little bit of silicone grease used to seal underwater camera housings.

At least it is a bit of prevention.

I much prefer the operation of the H50 which I have no fear of water problems.

I wish Zebralight made an 18650 powered headlamp with the twist cap like the H50. Much better to have a simple bombproof design than a slick UI

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Mods please do not lock this thread yet. I have been in contact with Zebralight and I would like to use this as a chance to report on their customer service (which to this point has been A++).
;)

Patriot

Flashaholic

Hi Kramer, I'm actually glad this thread is here since I didn't know about the water entry issues. I'm going to go silicon my two lights because I'd be annoyed if they failed from a little water drizzle, never mind washing it off in the sink. So much for IPXWhatever.

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

is this the best way to check for this concern?
I tried this on mine and am unable to move/spin the boot which makes me feel a bit better...
After reading this thread, I had to check mine. I can spin my boot by pinching it between two fingernails. It's not very comforting knowing this. I can imagine the day(night) that I may need to use this in the rain sometime. What am I gonna have to do, put a plastic bag over it! :shakehead I love this thing though. It's the most unique, & handiest light I own.

DM51

Flashaholic

Mods please do not lock this thread yet.
I saw your earlier request (yesterday) to lock it, but I decided then that it was best to leave it open, in the hope that it will not follow the same pattern as the other thread you referenced.

It will be interesting to hear the response from CS.

Mikellen

Enlightened

So just for clarification; is the mechanical design of the H50 more, less, or equal to the H501 in regards to water resistance? I recently purchased the H50 and H501 and one is my inside use light and the other is my outside use light.
I'm wondering which Zebralight would be more water resistant for outdoor use.

Thanks for any replies.