i give up on bikes

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im not just meant to own one my shwinn Finlay got even worst when ever i quit pedaling it made a grinding sound from rear cassette when i pedaled it went away.so i just got rid of it im back to walking at least my shoes are good

DM51

Flashaholic
You don't seem to have had much luck with cars or bikes, Raggie. Maybe you should consider getting a horse, lol.

Litbobber

Enlightened
I got tired of mine getting stolen 3 of them,1 at bar 1 at the mall and 1 along side
of the house. I got a mountain bike that i ride but when not in use i keep it down the
basement.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol dm i sure dont have any luck with em.i was so mad ealier i thought id lose my mind but hect i still have too good feet and shoes knees are old though lol.i will never ever buy a Schwinn bike again

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I really regret to hear this...

As most of you know by now, I ride a lot myself and even used to work as a mechanic in a bikeshop. I truly think that the biggest disappointment is caused by the low quality bike you decided to invest in. Quality parts really do make a difference, I don't know any other sector where the 'you get what you pay for' expression is more true than with bikes & their parts.

Give it a rest for a while, forget about your crap bike, put a little money aside once in a while when you can, and somewhere in the future, buy a decent bike at a good bikeshop where they can give you advice to find the bike best suited to your wishes/needs (and keep in mind that a well maintained 2nd hand higher end bike will most likely give you a lot more bang for the buck). Learn to do the basic maintenance yourself and you'll have a great, low cost hobby/mode of transportation...

If you need any advice, feel free to ask me.

mechBgon

Enlightened
raggie33, sorry to hear of your latest episode of bike trouble. Next time you do need bike advice, try to answer peoples' questions so they can help you nail down the problem. We're not psychics, you got to help us help you :)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im starting to think the clunking sound was coming from the rear cassette all the time.it finally got to bad and broke completely.my next step is finding a old mountain bike in the trash to salvage the brakes of it to put on my old mtb.its a old gt mtb gears are messed up but i can rig it up for single speed

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
these are the cards we are dealt in life, the trick is to stick em in your spokes with clothes pins..
hey raggie it's always something; I have an old Trek 8000 I fixed up and got new tubes for -- so the squirrels bit holes through em both. Haven't ridden since.
but spend alot of time squirting the garden hose at the sqirrels..

This all as inspired me to bring the bike back to the shop and get punture proof tires..

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's totally possible to be misguided and underinformed and still have a fantastic time cycling (I do;))

Just writing so say maybe after giving up on your particular p.o.s. bike for a while you'll give other bikes a chance.
As written above, a bikes aren't equal.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

This one doesn't have any of those pesky cranks & gears ect..

54953.jpg

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sucks. Maybe hit up CL and see what bikes are available. The guys on the bike forum turn up lots of good deals on older rides.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a great older diamondback steel framed bike at a pawnshop for $20 bucks four years ago. That was the one I did a header over the handlebars two years ago and broke my upper ball on my left humerus. :oops: It only sustained damage to the front wheel.

A new aluminum rim ($100) and tire and it is still slogging along.

Try that with that newfangled aluminum or Carbon Fiber. :nana:

On second thought, don't try it. Flying over the handlebars isn't as fun as it sounded. :party:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Schwinn road bike that is more that 20 years old. I don't ride as much as I used to, but I guess I average around 50 miles a week. The only thing original on the bike is the Cro Moly frame and the fork. All the old Suntour Components were replaced with Shimano Components a few years back. Even the rims were replaced. The only 'fixing' I have to do every now and then is to pump the tires. I do take it apart and grease and oil the parts.

When you have a decent bike, all you should have to do is get on it and ride. Cheaper bikes always seem to need some adjustment before you can ride them.

Like others have said - save some money - get a good bike - preferably from a real bike store.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Like others have said - save some money - get a good bike - preferably from a real bike store.

+1 to that. In your case, raggie33, it sounded like the low-end quality of the bike was a contributing factor, but the poor quality of the assembly and tuning was the main problem.

I want to suggest a good-quality used bike, but I've seen many people burned that way, either by buying a bike that doesn't fit them, or by buying one that needs major repairs to be healthy, or they get an obsolete bike that they won't be able to get replacement parts for later. If possible, take the bike to a reputable bike shop for an assessment before you have to commit (not always easy, I realize).

Jaywalk3r

Banned
Quality parts really do make a difference, I don't know any other sector where the 'you get what you pay for' expression is more true than with bikes & their parts.

I completely agree.

Earlier this year, I spent $350 on a bike. Many of my friends thought I was crazy to spend that much money on a bicycle. What they didn't realize is that it was sheer luck that I was able to find a decent new bike for that little. If not for the fact that it was last year's model on clearance, steel framed, a single speed (i.e. only one chainring and rear cog, no derailers or shifters), had no suspension and had no disk brakes, I would have had to spend much more to get anything reliable. In other words, $350 bought me what I consider a real bike (albeit without frills), but it is at the extreme low end of such bikes.