Do we have any amateur architects in here?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to try something like 3D Home Architect. I used to use it several years ago to do "dream house" planning. It's fairly simple to use and it's really just all point/click/drag/drop designing. No special knowledge needed. The version I had years back even had a buch of sample plans you could use as a starting point. Several of them were similar to the barn style you linked to. I remember playing with one design with a "silo" on the side that was the stairwell.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, the problem is, I"m too damn stupid for some software.

I tried a couple of proggies but couldn't really make heads or tails out of them.

I know years I had something that I managed to use (somewhat at least).

I DID find someone in another forum I hang out in that said he'd help me so let's see how that goes. He was going to do it in autocad which is cool as I believe it's the most powerful program or at least one of the most powerful and he said there were some light versions of the proggy for 50 bucks I could buy.

By the way, I want to learn the program any way as I have some ideas/inventions I want to possibly draw to see if I can do something with them one day. Just a dream and all that.

Thanks

George

nobody

Newly Enlightened
George

Check your local AIA to see if any local architects will work with you on the design. Right now many architects are not very busy and may welcome working on an exciting residential project. Most people don't bat an eye at dropping a 6% commission on a realtor (!) but would sooner die than cough up a penny on professional design services...don't get me started.

Or--you should really check out SketchUp if you want to mess with a very simple UI on your own. I think it's still a free download. I have seen some 3D models done in SketchUp Pro (non-free upgrade to SketchUp) and it can help you do some very cool stuff very quickly & intuitively.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I don't think I can put any money on it for now even if the prices are low but that might come. I tried sketchup and I'm too stupid to figure it out without instructions and reading instructions is something I totally suck at.

Yeah, I know what you mean about people not wanting to pay architects.

I once had this sob wanted to buy a picture I had given my dad in a very nice frame (I took it) and when I gave him the price, he goes, hell, I can buy oil for that :(

What, so photography isn't worth anything? Moron. Most of the money were in the frame unlike some crummy frame you may get with an oil painting but no, it wasn't REALLY art then. Morons.

I think HoopleHead is a Google fan. What say you brother? :)