AA replacement for p1dce q5 as EDC

heathen

Newly Enlightened
I have been edcing a Fenix p1dce q5 for a couple of years now but have been thinking about a AA or possibly AAA light as a replacement. Or if there is a single cr123 light that is great enough I might be convinced to stay with that battery type.

I love the low and high modes of the Fenix (supposed to be 16 and 95 lumens). So I need at least two modes with similar output, with any extra output being a bonus. I also like the small size but a slightly larger light is okay. I also think the beam is about perfect on the Fenix. Pretty good spill with a nice hot spot for decent throw. On my dream light I would want similar output as the Fenix, with a low low also, and of course a super bright high would be cool too if not as useful. Also a clip for using the light clipped to a hat brim, also good throw and long runtime ( I'm not asking for much I know. LOL). Clicky or twisty, doesn't really matter to me. I'm looking to spend $150 or less.

I've been looking at the Nitecore D10 and the EZAA. Will the output, runtime, and beam of these two lights compare favorably with the Fenix? I Like the UI on these lights as well, but don't necessarliy love the Fenix's UI. Are there any other lights I should look at? Are there any single cr123a lights that meet most or all of my wishlist criteria? If so it might convince me to stay with a single 123 light.

I call upon your infinite knowledge and wisdom! Thanks for any help in draining my wallet.:D

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Just go with the LD10/20, it's essentially the same as what you have now, with the clicky interface. I also EDCed a P1 for some time and found myself wanting a clicky; so when I switched to an L1D it was just what I was looking for. And the clicky is much faster and easier to use than the P1D's twisty, you'll be glad you made the switch.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
first off, a clip for a many lights which do not come with one is easily accomplished for just $3.95. i've purchased several (ok, ok,... many) MiniMagLite Accessory kits from Campmor.com for $3.95 each. besides some clear and colored filters and a filter holder (which is the correct diameter for E-series Surefire lights, but needs to be cut down in terms of height using an X-acto or utility/razor knife for it to work properly on E-series lights) you also get a lanyard, and a barrel clip.

the barrel clip easily fits any AA light that i have (with the exception of the Fenix TK20), and also fits many CR123A lights (e.g. Nitecore EX10, LiteFlux LF5XT, Fenix P1D-Q5, among others - though it won't fit larger diameter CR123A lights like the RA Twisty or NovaTac 85/120-series of lights). the clip can be spread using finger strength alone and can be placed on the light for either bezel up (which also permits "hands free" use by clipping it to a ballcap visor) or bezel down carry. i haven't scratched the anodizing on any light when forcing one of these clips on the light.

as far as suggestions for a different light, right now i've really gotten hooked on the three LiteFlux light that i own, viz. the LF3XT using 1xCR123A, the LF5XT using 1xAA, and the new LF2XT using 1xAAA. all three of these light are highly user configurable/programmable (programming is made much easier due to graphical flowcharts that CPF member Orcinus has published to this website - just search for them).

the newer LF3XT and LF2XT actually have two totally different UI's built right into them and it is easy to switch back-and-forth between them. one of the user interfaces is very similar to the Nitecore D10 and EX10 UI (it has so-called "infinitely" adjustable light output).

if you select the FUI (full [functioning] user interface) on the LF3XT or LF2XT, which is also the sole UI on the AA powered LF5XT, you can program a very low level as one of your output levels. you can further configure the light to have anywhere from a single output level up to five output levels, and anywhere in between (i.e., 2, 3, or 4 output levels) and you can configure/program the brightness of any of these levels. very flexible to say the least. you can configure/program the light to work precisely the way you would like it to work. of course any output level can be configured to output various beacons or strobes if you so choose.

i've purchased all of my LiteFlux lights at EliteLED.com. i've made multiple purchases from them with no problems with any purchase. they ship clear cross country to me and i get the light 2-3 days after placing an order (using USPS Priority mail) as they always seem to ship the same day that i place the order.

light-reviews dot com has reviews of these three LiteFlux lights (including beamshots, runtime graphs, and Lux output levels) which you can compare side-by-side (up to three comparison at once) with any light that he's tested on his website. you can easily see how they compare to the P1D.

hope this info helps.

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
another option, if you're really hooked on the P1D (as i am), you can do what i did many months ago. at Lighthound.com you can find a custom body (by Leef - a well known CPF manufacturer of fine, high quality custom bodies of various sorts) with a McClicky button/switch in the tail. this custom body accepts the P1D head (CE or Q5) which just screws into/onto the custom body just like the head does in the standard Fenix body. this custom body does NOT add any additional functionality to the P1D other than to turn it into a "clicky" light. you still use 1xCR123A for power. the light does grow just a bit in length when using this body. in fact, it is just very slightly longer than a Fenix P2D which is, in turn, a bit longer than a stock P1D.

just a thought.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
P1D replacement

oh, here's another thought - something which i've recently done.

i purchased, from EliteLED dot com, a special that they had. i purchased a Fenix L1T/L2T head with a P2D body.

the LxT head+P2D body is shorter than a P2D and just very slightly longer than a P1D.

you end up with a two-level light (controlled by tightening the head for high and slightly loosening it for low, but turned on-and-off via the tailcap clickie switch) with an ~16 lumen low and an ~150 lumen high. it turns out to be a pretty cute lil' light.

however, this solution won't give you the LOW Lo-level that you might be after (go with a new Quark light from 4sevens dot com, or the LiteFlux lights, or a Nitecore light to get that very low low level output).

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been edcing a Fenix p1dce q5 for a couple of years now but have been thinking about a AA or possibly AAA light as a replacement. Or if there is a single cr123 light that is great enough I might be convinced to stay with that battery type.

I've been looking at the Nitecore D10 and the EZAA.

I call upon your infinite knowledge and wisdom! Thanks for any help in draining my wallet.:D

I have EDC'd P1D CE for a few years as well,:) and I have recently felt the need to seek that same CR123 performance in an AA light. After much review here at CPF, I am waiting on a neutral tint EZ AA from 7Sevens.

I you seek somethig about 2/3 the size of the P1D CE and are willing to use a more 'exotic', yet rechargable CR14250 cell, The Lummi Raw Ns or Al is a work of functional, durable, finely machined art with performance and power that is truly is awe inspiring! :devil:

heathen

Newly Enlightened
Some great info guys. I'm researching these lights now. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some great info guys. I'm researching these lights now. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Well here is my thoughts...buy a Quark AA...a 14500 batt...and a charger that can charge both 14500 and 18650 batts.

You will probably want a quad 300+ lumen light in the near future if you don`t already have one and most of them use a 18650. So a charger that can handle both might save $$$...even if you don`t need the 18650 capability now.

My second choice would be a Nitecore D-10 R-2...I just love the operation of this light.

trickyvic

Newly Enlightened
I would go with a D10, LD10, EZAA, LD01. I second the recommendation of the PD20, it's the only CR123 light that I still use in my EDC rotation.