Narrowed my first flashlight down to Eagletac P100A2, P100C2, or T100C2.

tracerit

Newly Enlightened
This will be my first light and I'll be using it when walking home at night.

P100A2
+uses AA batteries
+cheap
-longer than the C2

P100C2
+longer runtime than the P100A2
+cheap
+shorter than the P100A2
-uses CR123A batteries (worried about "exploding" issues)

T100C2
same pros/cons as P100C2, but if I go with the P100C2, shoudl I just spend the extra $$$ on the T100C2?

where can i buy any of the above flashlights with the 8% discount?

if I go with AA batteries, it seems the general consensus are the Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables. However, if I go with a CR123A rechargeable, are the Tenergy batteries/chargers the best?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy them at PTS, and you can get the PTS discount for CPFers by contacting Mike@PTS here on CPF
Pacific Tactical Solutions Inc. CPF Discount, start here>> PTS Account
Then PM me your last name and email so I can set your account for the discount.
Or just place an order and add your CPF name to the comments box and we'll apply the discount.

Also you can buy Eagletacs at 4sevens.com and flashlightconnection.com

The nice thing about the T100C2 is the fact that it can take a larger 18650 cell which trumps CR123 cells in capacity. The T100C2 is quite a thrower. I like it better than the P100C2.

As for AAs, I'm a AA fan myself and yes eneloops are the way to go.

CR123 lights are a bit fatter but shorter, which some people like. You don't need to worry about a quality CR123 primary cell exploding. Just don't expect dafety form lowball ebay cells. As for RCR123 cells, AW cells are highly reguarded here on CPF. The Tenergy RCR123s I have work oaky but are a bit overrated in terms of capacity but nothing terrible. I'd take them over most of the cheap-o ultrafire cells.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phantom said it all. I personally prefer AA too, so I went for P100A2.

strinq

Enlightened
I have tried them both side by side doing indoor and outdoor comparisons.
If you're not going to 'get into' flashaholism go for the P100A2.
But if you are the T100C2 beats it in terms of runtime, output and throw.
And all pretty significantly.
Size wise i prefer the t100c2 also because its proportioned nicely, unlike the long and narrow shape of the p100a2

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don`t have much to add to the great posts here already...but a small thought to consider. If you plan to add a 300+ lumen light in the future (MC-E, P7), most use the 18650 batt.

You might save some money in the long run by buying the T100C2 that runs on the 18650 type cell.

tracerit

Newly Enlightened
i searched and people are saying that the 18650 cells from AW are the best, is AW the brand?

are 18650 safer than RCR123A but not as safe as AAs? which charger should I go with?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I like the T100C2. It's a good duty light that's simple and not too expensive to lose.

If treated properly all quality Lithium ion cells are equally safe reguardless of the size of the cell. The T100C2 was designed primarily with the 18650 cell in mind. It can take primary cells in a pinch. I think 2 CR123 sized li-ions would kill it actually.
EagleTac's own 18650 is a great cell at a nice price point. AW cells are good too.
I have the Pila IBC charger and it is a bit pricy but it's good for keeping your cells healthy and pretty safe.

One thing I haven't sen mentioned here about primary cells and safety is that unlike alkalines if you put a fresh 123 cell in the same tube as a depleted 123 cell that's a good recipe for a mini grenade.
This might be old news to you and might not so I thought I'd venture to say it anyway. When you change out primary cells, change them all at once and replace the cells with ones that have matched voltage. ZTSmini batterytester is simple to use and quite cheap.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
T100C2
same pros/cons as P100C2, but if I go with the P100C2, shoudl I just spend the extra $$$ on the T100C2?
T100C2 is significantly bigger than P100C2 - longer and much bulkier. It's also just slightly shorter than P100A2 but A2 is much slimmer.

where can i buy any of the above flashlights with the 8% discount?
eagletac-store.com. They also have free wolrdwide shipping.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having personally owned all three I would recommend the T100C2 quite heavily. Out of the three it had the best beam both for throw and spill in my opinion. Plus the added option of the 18650 cells is quite an incentive if you are going to use it regularly. The EagleTAC cells are quite nice when combined with a good charger. It is a bit larger, but not uncomfortable at all. You can read reviews of all three of them on MY SITE. All three are quality lights at really great prices.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having personally owned all three I would recommend the T100C2 quite heavily. Out of the three it had the best beam both for throw and spill in my opinion. Plus the added option of the 18650 cells is quite an incentive if you are going to use it regularly. The EagleTAC cells are quite nice when combined with a good charger. It is a bit larger, but not uncomfortable at all. You can read reviews of all three of them on MY SITE. All three are quality lights at really great prices.
+1

The T100C2 is the better light, hands down.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice choice I love the T100C2, so far its my favorite of the year. That charger and battery combo is what I use and its works good for me.I am really liking the Eagletac 18650's. Just remember never leave charging battery's unattended. Even good things go bad.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the T10LC2 is not regulated on an 18650, while the T100C2 is (in fact, it seems to have perfect regulation on both CR123's and 18650s). The T100C2 also has more throw, and is 20 dollars cheaper.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the T10LC2 is not regulated on an 18650, while the T100C2 is (in fact, it seems to have perfect regulation on both CR123's and 18650s). The T100C2 also has more throw, and is 20 dollars cheaper.

Yea...I don`t understand it. The white one http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=152-154-6591 is rated at 295 lumen...compared to 220 for the T100C2. But if the 18650 can`t run it at that level...I agree...no point to it. Might as well go with the T100c2...and use the $20 savings toward batts and charger.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-E used in the T100C2 is much better suited for a great beam even without the textured reflector common to most XR-E lights. Add to that the better regulation of the 100 series and you have a real winner.

As for that charger and those batteries, I also own them and have no trouble at all. I second the recommendation though of never leaving them on the charger unattended. Better safe than sorry is my opinion.

tracerit

Newly Enlightened
great, i'd like to thank everyone for helping me become a flashaholic! ;) :)

as for leaving the 18650s unattended, do they explode violently, hiss a little then a small pop, what should i expect pretty much in case something happens. i'm also assuming i should keep the charger isolated from other electrnoics, maybe leave it on the ground between two wooden dressers?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
fffffFF...BLAM :eek: sort of like that :tinfoil:... Might want to charge in a room with no windows...their expensive to replace.

Just kidding...I have no idea. Maybe you can pick up a inexpensive timer. Set it to 2`3 hours.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 18650 event would be incredibly rare thing. However in theory if you did remove the protection circuit and abuse it and try to recharge it in a charger not meant to charge LiIon cells...
yes it could go BANG.

Or it could have a less violent venting with plenty of toxic flams arees and fumes.

Just take care of the cell and everything will be alright. They've been used in almost every laptop for the past several years. And with that light you don't have to worry about multi cell balancing etc. Single LiIon cell setups are quite nice because of this.

Glad to help. :twothumbs