List of R123 lights that have overdischarge protection.

Grumpy

Enlightened
Hello I am thinking of only buying lights that have over discharge protection built in to them. Maybe others could also benefit from a list like this?
Anyone who knows a flashlight that uses R123 and has protection built in to the light please post here and I'll make a list of lights in this first post for anyone (including me) that would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Please also make note if a light can use both R123 (rechargeable) and (CR123) primaries and still have the protection.

1) AKOray k109
2) LiteFlux LF3XT
3) Dereelight C2H
4) LiteFlux LF3
5) The Dereelight DBS V3 and CL1H V4 with the 3SD and 1S pills Being that the protection is in the pill's circuitry, this would also apply to the Dereelight 3SD and 1S P60 Drop-Ins
6) Ra Clicky and Twisty ****can use both R123 and CR123 batteries****
7) Novatac ****can use both R123 and CR123 batteries****

Checked to post 19

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hello I am thinking of only buying lights that have over discharge protection built in to them. Maybe others could also benefit from a list like this?
Anyone who knows a flashlight that uses R123 and has protection built in to the light please post here and I'll make a list of lights in this first post for anyone (including me) that would like to know. Thanks in advance.

Lights designed to take a primary cell will not have well functioning protection for RCR123's.

Last edited:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiteFlux LF3XT. It does everything and has a creamy, nearly perfect beam. My only complaint is that the diameter is larger than lights like the EX10.

I read your other thread and it's 99.9% likely that your only problem is your charger. I don't remember who, but someone did some fairly extensive tests, and concluded that your charger would overcharge, particularly if you left the cells in the charger. There was an explanation of why the cell didn't show higher readings, but I don't remember what it was.

You believed the literature about the charger and turns out that it's just not true. Funny thing is that the Pila states that it trickle charges, but it does not.

Get the Pila and some new AW cells and use whatever lights you want. You're now much more aware and you'll be more attentive. Recharge often, before voltages drop. Another great feature about the Liteflux line is that they have a built in 'voltage meter' as well as over discharge protection.

Don't ignore the AA format lights (14500). Most give you the ability to use alkaline, NiMH, primary lithiums as well as Li Ion and the Pila will handle them too.

Make sure you get your spacers from AW for the 123s in the Pila. FlashlightZ is who I recommend for the charger.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is a good idea, as many people like to use the IMR "safe chemistry" cells (Lithium Manganese). These cells don't have built-in low voltage protection, so flashlights that have the protection incorporated internally are ideal.

Like HKJ mentioned, the Dereelight C2H and LiteFlux LF3XT have it, and I believe the earlier LiteFlux LF3 has it too. The Dereelight DBS V3 and CL1H V4 with the 3SD and 1S pills also have the built-in protection. Being that the protection is in the pill's circuitry, this would also apply to the Dereelight 3SD and 1S P60 Drop-Ins. All of these are great candidates for the IMR cells.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This thread is a good idea, as many people like to use the IMR "safe chemistry" cells (Lithium Manganese). These cells don't have built-in low voltage protection, so flashlights that have the protection incorporated internally are ideal.

I had considered buying these cells. But since they're Unprotected Rechargeables, I'll pass.

Thanks Jay, you saved me some money.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights designed to take a primary cell will not have well functioning protection for RCR123's.
The Ra Clicky and Twisty function just fine on both primaries and rechargeables, and have overdischarge protection for rechargeables.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had considered buying these cells. But since they're Unprotected Rechargeables, I'll pass.

Thanks Jay, you saved me some money.

They're inherently safe, so the normal protections of over-charge, over current, and short circuit aren't needed. But the over-discharge protection would be a nice feature, because discharging these cells too low (and in particular leaving them discharged too low for too long) can ruin them. Not unsafe, just won't take or hold a charge if that happens. Lights with the built-in protection eradicate this concern. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
... the over-discharge protection would be a nice feature, because discharging these cells too low (and in particular leaving them discharged too low for too long) can ruin them. Not unsafe, just won't take or hold a charge if that happens. Lights with the built-in protection eradicate this concern. :)

That's the main reason I'll pass. I was hoping to use two of them in an E2E w/ the Lumens Factory IMR E2 lamp. (M3 output from an E2E would have been sweet). Thanks again, Jay.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the main reason I'll pass. I was hoping to use two of them in an E2E w/ the Lumens Factory IMR E2 lamp. (M3 output from an E2E would have been sweet). Thanks again, Jay.

Ahh.. gotcha. I think you'd be ok though, just recharge when the light starts dimming... a "visual low voltage protection" if you will. :grin2:

Grumpy

Enlightened
Off to a good start. Thanks

If a light can use both R123 (rechargeable) and CR123 (primaries) please let me know and I will make a list or make a note that the light can use both types of batteries and still have protection for the rechargeables. I have a feeling that there will not be many lights that can do this.

Grumpy

Enlightened
The LiteFlux LF3XT is starting to look good to me.

Kitelights thanks for the informative post.

Marduke

Flashaholic
A light with overdischarge protection won't solve the problem you had. It makes little if it's the light's protection circuit or the cell's protection circuit which warns or shuts off the cells. By the time either is triggered, the cell is already nearly exhausted and you should have recharged long ago.

Your issues were caused entirely by poor Li-Ion battery procedure. You basically broke every guideline there is. You did not monitor your cells charging and allowed them to constantly overcharge, and you routinely let the cells run all the way down instead of doing shallow discharges and frequent top offs.

A new light won't fix that problem, adhering to proper Li-Ion recharging procedures will.

You always monitor charging and remove cells from the charger as soon as they are done, and you frequently top partially used cells off instead of waiting for them to be drained. Shallow discharges greatly increase cell health and life.

Grumpy

Enlightened
A light with overdischarge protection won't solve the problem you had. It makes little if it's the light's protection circuit or the cell's protection circuit which warns or shuts off the cells. By the time either is triggered, the cell is already nearly exhausted and you should have recharged long ago.

Your issues were caused entirely by poor Li-Ion battery procedure. You basically broke every guideline there is. You did not monitor your cells charging and allowed them to constantly overcharge, and you routinely let the cells run all the way down instead of doing shallow discharges and frequent top offs.

A new light won't fix that problem, adhering to proper Li-Ion recharging procedures will.

You always monitor charging and remove cells from the charger as soon as they are done, and you frequently top partially used cells off instead of waiting for them to be drained. Shallow discharges greatly increase cell health and life.

Marduke,

That is not why I started this thread.

I want a light with protection built in just in case I use it to long that I will not be relying on just the protection of the battery but will also have added protection of the flashlight circuit. To keep them from going POOF

Wouldn't you agree that it is better to have both?

Like I said earlier, I did not know that you have to monitor the cells because they advertise the charger that I have as having auto cut off and that it will not overcharge the cells etc. I have since learned that I need a better charger. I can not always monitor the cells constantly as I work, sleep, etc. I also have said that I plan on getting the Pila charger which terminates the charge and does not continue to trickle.

Also it is not possible to top the batteries off constantly if you are away from home fishing etc. and if a particular light does not run for the advertised time or even close...

You keep saying that I overcharged the cells. That may or may not be accurate as I have told you before that I have never seen a cell above 4.2 volts. How are you so confident that they were overcharged?

Also lets talk about the other issue in the other thread and try and keep this one for the purpose for which it was intended.

I think that it would be nice to have a place where members could do a quick check which lights have protection circuits if that is what they desire in a light.