Klarus        
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

Thread: SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite!

Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees

Default Re: SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite!

There have been posts showing a Z57 spring that overheated, lost its temper, and then no longer worked. IMHO the best solution is to use a Z52 twisty with solder braid added to the spring to help conduct the current. But a Z57 will work if not used for too long of course, though the total service life of the switch will likely be shorter too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    But will the stock E-series clicky tailcap handle the current, or do you need a different switch?
    I'm pretty sure the E2-IMR draws no more than 2A from 2x16340 IMRs, so this is a safe current for most clicklies. But using a twisty tailcap is always safer, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    One idea is to get two AW IMR16340 rechargeable cells, and a Lumens factory IMR-E2 lamp.

Runtime is only 15 minutes, but you get Surefire M3 output in a much more compact package.

Both the cells and lamp are available at Lighthound.com
    Well, it will be fun while it lasts.

That level of light will certainly do a number on someone's night adapted vision. Though if used indoors, it might just blind the user, too. Maybe best to leave an E2E so equipped for use on outdoor walks, to deter the less sociable folk, should things unfortunately progress to that stage.
    You won't be using it for more than a matter of seconds in such manner, so the 15 min. runtime shouldn't be an issue.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

I call this one the "Black Widow"

Last edited by SolarMan; 06-23-2009 at 05:03 AM. Reason: resize pics

Thats nice!

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    Thats nice!
    +1, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DimeRazorback View Post
    Thats nice!

I like that, too.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SolarMan View Post
    I call this one the "Black Widow"

That is pure WIN!

Wine Light bezel & tailcap, with black body.

(I need another black E2E and I need to hunt down an E2E Wine Light)!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Look what I made.

I wanted to put a cree in a e1e head. I found a driver pill (with AMC7135 1050mA) that almost fit. No problem dremel time!
    After dremeling the reflector base to focus the LED most of the original reflector was gone.
    I just decided to finish removing the entire reflector and replacing it with a smooth reflector. Perfect fit but a little too deep.
    After some fitting Everything turned out perfect! The beam is a little dirty but the throw is fantastic!
    Last edited by carbine15; 06-24-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carbine15 View Post

Look what I made.

I wanted to put a cree in a e1e head. I found a driver pill (with AMC7135 1050mA) that almost fit. No problem dremel time!
    After dremeling the reflector base to focus the LED most of the original reflector was gone.
    I just decided to finish removing the entire reflector and replacing it with a smooth reflector. Perfect fit but a little too deep.
    After some fitting Everything turned out perfect! The beam is a little dirty but the throw is fantastic!
    Good job! And the glowring is a nice touch.

I think SureFire has been missing the boat by not offereing an E1L with a single level, and simple reflector. Maybe 25 lumens with a floodier beam than the TIR optic offers for something like 6 hours would make a great camping / hiking light, IMHO

Newbie Q, but is the Executive body the same as the Surefire Scout?

The body of the M600* Scout Lights are threaded like any other E-series light, but the Scout Light body incorporates an adapter for a weapon mount. See here vs here.

But nearly the same weight, width and length?
    Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post
    The body of the M600* Scout Lights are threaded like any other E-series light, but the Scout Light body incorporates an adapter for a weapon mount. See here vs here.

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Speaking of which, DaFabricata deserves about 100 !!!

Now, how about some low numbers?

...this is KX1 #A00019

Is she special? Hell Yes!

Not because she's #19, but because I have never owned or seen another LED light with such a gorgeous (to my eyes!) tint. Basically the only LED light I use.

Quote Originally Posted by phxccw View Post
    But nearly the same weight, width and length?
    I've never measured them and don't own a Scout Light body, so I can only speculate...

The length should be the same. Interior diameter should be the same, within a mm or so - E-series ID's have varied over the years. The exterior diameters (excluding the adapter portion of the Scout Light body) are probably similar. I imagine the Scout Light body is a few ounces heavier.

See DaFABRICATA's picture in post #24 for a better visual comparison.

Got my First E series today

I didn't realize until I held it how great these feel in hand. I'm running the IMR-E2

-Eric
    -Eric

*Mammoth Killer*

We really do not have very many choices when it comes to a single cell Incandescent....or at least one that performs well enough to be usefull. The little E1E in its stock form does well enough for around the house and is still my favorite E series light.

I have long been a huge fan of the E1E paired with the various Lumens Factory lamps and with the right lamp it is a very good performer on a single cell. Throw in the EO lamp and a rechargeable 123 cell and it is indeed a powerhouse of a small light.

I believe the E1E is one of those classics that will always hold some type of appeal to me regardless of what else I carry.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

I didn't realize until I held it how great these feel in hand. I'm running the IMR-E2

-Eric
    Congrats on your first E series!
    I think you are set by now, eh? one M series, one P series, now an E...how about a C?

you tossed that M6? looks new to me

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    Congrats on your first E series!
    I think you are set by now, eh? one M series, one P series, now an E...how about a C?

you tossed that M6? looks new to me
    Howdy

No C2 yet, some day! I hear this is another must-have (I guess they all are really) for the grip design. I'll have to decide if I keep the E2E or sell it and pick up a C2 or

Yea, that's the M6 that took a drunken 30ft vertical toss, but in the drunken testing the regular turbo-head was on it, I've been tinkering with the cucumber option lego since my Z46 came in. Looks weird like this... hehe.

-Eric
    -Eric

If I get an L1 will a 17500 cell fit?

I saw a couple of you folks say that with some boring a 17500 will fit. So, I figure lengh wise it does, but the diameter needs to be opened up a bit..
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post

I saw a couple of you folks say that with some boring a 17500 will fit. So, I figure lengh wise it does, but the diameter needs to be opened up a bit..
    Out of the box, the battery compartment isn't long enough for a 17500. The boring that folks have described is to remove the driver and bore it out to a straight tube. On the older L1 bodies you could then use two cells or a 17670. The newer bodies are shorter, and if others have done it, then I guess a 17500 would fit.

Depends. I'm one them folks so here's what I know.

* The new Cree L1 body is too short even if you take out the driver. It is only about 1mm too short, so if you modify the head to lower the contact point it will fit. Another CPF member had Milky do this to his, but used a KX head to put a driver in it. You could make a body tube extension too (I have one drawn up) to go between the head & body, but you have to add a few millimeters and then put a spacer in too. (PM incoming - better get that)

* The old longer bodies will fit a 17500 if you bore it out and remove the driver. Then you need to make a spacer about 10-12mm long. The L1 body on the right in the last picture of post # 20 was modded like this by Milkyspit.

<Edit> BTW, you need to bore out the top few mm of the L1 body to be able to fit any other E-series heads on it. They do this to keep you from putting a head with its own internal driver circuit on the L1 body with a deiver in the body.

Last edited by Blindasabat; 06-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.

2xCR123 or a 17670 will not fit in the old body. I tried. it is about 15mm too short. I had to put a 17500 in it.
    Out of the box, the battery compartment isn't long enough for a 17500. The boring that folks have described is to remove the driver and bore it out to a straight tube. On the older L1 bodies you could then use two cells or a 17670. The newer bodies are shorter, and if others have done it, then I guess a 17500 would fit.

Flashaholic*

A simpler(and cheaper!) alternative would be to buy an Aleph 1x17500 body, Aleph tailcap, and a McE2S switch. You could also choose your resistor value ahead of time, and could have 1 and 2 cell bodies, too.
    You'd lose the clip,. I know everyone is different, but that was one of the things that kept me from being comfortable with the L1.

Question Re: SureFire E-Series Addicts Unite!

I'm running the IMR-E2
    Any issues with the forward-clickie being able to handle the high-output combo?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindasabat View Post
    2xCR123 or a 17670 will not fit in the old body. I tried. it is about 15mm too short. I had to put a 17500 in it.
    Hmm...

A number of people have claimed to do it. Maybe they had to modifiy something else as well?

A 17500 is a CR123x1.5 in length.

I've been tinkering with the cucumber option lego since my Z46 came in. Looks weird like this... hehe.

-Eric
    yeah, I've embraced the KL6 option on my M6 as well, now that I think about it...its not that awful once you get used to it
    FS: Surefire 6P, 9P, C2, & C3's, bored for your favorite 18mm cells
    Last edited by Illum; 06-25-2009 at 11:38 AM.

I'd like to see those!
    Hmm...

A number of people have claimed to do it. Maybe they had to modifiy something else as well?
    Might be possible if you modify the head AND body? But I don't recall ever seeing one.

Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees

Well then here you go. This particular one can use a 17500. To get a 17670 in the old L1 you have to move the internals forward - not for just anybody. The only modder I have heard of that has done that is Milkyspit. I hope I am remembering that right.

Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast