P10A2 vs P100A2

pipspeak

Enlightened
I'm a little confused by the difference between the P100A2 and P10A2 in terms of performance and price. I understand their basic differences (emitter, shape, output) but I do not understand why the more powerful P100A2 is cheaper than the P10A2. I've read the reviews (inlcuding Selfbuilt's) but I must be missing something. Is it a build quality issue?

Basically I'm looking for a bright, well-built, two-mode 2AA light with the emphasis on throw costing $50 or less. So I guess I go with the P100A2, despite its brother being better looking.

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Differences:

P10A2 difference from the P100A2:
* denotes the reason its more expensive

- OP reflector
- Higher Output 220 vs 195*
- Bigger spill
- You get a holster, lanyard and extra switch boot*
- Better driver A800*
- Stainless Steel bezel*
- Some who have both say the P10A2 feels like its built better*

polkiuj

Enlightened
P100 is a budget "tactical" version of the P10.

Some people reported lower quality anodizing. Also, the switching mechanism is different on both lights.

P10 also comes with accesories like holster and lanyard.

P100's holster and lanyard are sold seperately.

One more thing. The P10 comes with a double AR coated UCL lens, P100 onlu single AR coated.

Personally, I feel the P100A2 is an awesome light for the price. And the knurling is really nice. =)

Last edited:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
For some reason there is conflicting info out there. Some of the retailers have the P10A2 listed as 200 lumens while EagleTacs website has it listed as 220. And the same retailers have the P100A2 listed at 220 lumens but EagleTacs website has it listed as 195 lumens. Not sure who is closer to the actual, but you will not notice a difference. As to why the P10 is $20 more. Not sure. Some people like the fit and finish on the P10 and the stainless bezel. I'm sure the P100 is cheaper to produce but it is one hell of a light. And some people like the heavy duty knurling on it. I do. If the T100 was out before I bought my T10LC2 I think I would have gone with the T00 even though there is a larger difference in output. I don't think there is anything to not like about the p10. One of the suppliers said when the 10 series light came out, he thinks they went too low with the price. They could have easily gotten $10 more for it. Here is a great review on both lights. The reviewer gave the P10A2 a 7.8 score and the P100A2 got a 8.2. The P10 does have a smaller brighter hot spot but less flood light. Have a peak at the site:

http://light-reviews.com/eagletac_p10a2/

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm a little confused by the difference between the P100A2 and P10A2 in terms of performance and price. I understand their basic differences (emitter, shape, output) but I do not understand why the more powerful P100A2 is cheaper than the P10A2. I've read the reviews (inlcuding Selfbuilt's) but I must be missing something. Is it a build quality issue?

Basically I'm looking for a bright, well-built, two-mode 2AA light with the emphasis on throw costing $50 or less. So I guess I go with the P100A2, despite its brother being better looking.
I think strinq and polkiuj and summarized the differences well. These points undoubtedly account for a lot of the price variance (i.e. it is more expensive to build to P10A2). But price points also reflect the market they are trying to attract, and so do not always reflect manufacturer true costs. I think the P100A2 is an excellent light for the price.

pipspeak

Enlightened
So the P10A2 has greater output yet less throw than the P100A2, which suggests the beam shape is narrower presumeably due to the XP-E emitter. Basically all the measured output figures seem to suggest the P100 has the edge with a slight loss in runtime. How would you rank the beam shapes? I prefer throw over spill, but still want some useful spill.

And with the P10 costing $50-$60, that also puts me in the same price range as the O-light T25 tactical (now on sale everywhere). It looks like The T25 falls somewhere in between the P10 and P100 interms of throw/output and has a lower low, so now I'm really in a dilemma :sssh: Output or build quality?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So the P10A2 has greater output yet less throw than the P100A2, which suggests the beam shape is narrower presumeably due to the XP-E emitter. Basically all the measured output figures seem to suggest the P100 has the edge with a slight loss in runtime. How would you rank the beam shapes? I prefer throw over spill, but still want some useful spill.
The beamshots in my 2AA round-up review should tell you most of what you want to know. Overall spillbeam width is similar - the P100A2 just has a slightly brighter hotspot, and the P10A2 has slighly brighter spill. Frankly, you wouldn't really notice the difference unless comparing side-by-side.

The T25-T is also included in that review. ;)

pipspeak

Enlightened
^^ +1

Love the reviews, would really love 30-50ft beam shots although I appreciate how hard it would be to find a controlled location to do them in.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Appreciate your reviews selfbuilt, just wish you would take long distance outdoor shots to measure throw. :nana:
Love the reviews, would really love 30-50ft beam shots although I appreciate how hard it would be to find a controlled location to do them in.
Would love to accommodate, but as pipspeak mentioned, it is hard to find a controlled location (don't think my neighbors would appreciate my shinning it on their rooftops :p).

Otherwise, anything I do is limited to on a one-time trial that can't be compared to anything else. The advantage to my closet it that it's not going anywhere :whistle: ... so I can keep adding up-close beamshots using the same camera settings. This is important for my round-up reviews, where I keep adding new lights as they come up for review (and I don't have to keep re-photographing everything)

That being said, I am waiting for my Eagletac M2C4 (P7) to arrive, so that I can at least do one pass at a site for ~150m or so for the heavy guns. Haven't tried yet, so hope the location I have in mind works well. This will be for an upcoming multi-emitter round-up.