Do you swap out EDC's, reason?

Spence

Enlightened
Currently, I alternate carrying a Fenix LD01 SS and a NiteCore EZAA,why?
I like the AAA size of the LD01 but I also like the AA size and power of the EZAA. Each of them is on a ball chain lanyard and I use the removable pocket clip on the LD01 to clip on my ball cap bill. They are both such great little lights, I give them equal time. BTW I use rechargeable Eneloops.

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
Sure I do. variety is the spice of life. Not that I swithc every day, but probably every few days or so I will mix it up. I do the same thing with my knives, watches, etc.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll change mine occasionally. Currently it's an L0D (soon to be LF2XT), plus an old Arc AAA on the keys. Sometimes a Proton Pro, LF3XT, or EZAA is there, too. If I need a coat, and have more pockets something with more power or runtime might be added.

Geoff

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I change mine a good bit just for variety. Also weather comes into play. If I'll be wearing a jacket and/or it's nighttime I tend to carry a slightly bigger light such as my Solarforce L2 or my Fenix L2D. For most other situations I'll carry just my k109a and in the rare cases where I don't want to carry much in my pockets I'll just toss in the E01.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Since I just got a bigger phone than I used to have (Sprint HTC Touch Pro), I've had to switch my EDC from my side pocket to my back pocket. Either way, all my EDC's have clips. I switch between my Nitecore D10 GDP, my Dereelight C2H (R2, thank you), Nitecore EZAA, and now my Quark AA. Obviously, the EZAA doesn't have a clip, but then again it so small. I just hang the lanyard outside the pocket so I can get it when I need it. Most days I don't really need my EDC, though, but I often pull them out anyway and turn them on, since the MRS. won't allow guns in the house, it's the closest I'll get to the feel of cold [Al] in my hands. I have to imagine how much more power I have in my hands compared to . . . well anyone else in South Florida!

Yep, I think I must be the only flashaholic in South Florida . . . if I'm wrong, please let me know, let's get together! I'll be getting a real thrower soon . . . I hope. Don't want to jinx it!

jblackwood

Enlightened
Oh yeah, since it's so hot down here, there's almost never an excuse to use a jacket. I use holsters for my DBS's . . . both MC-E and R2 with smooth reflector. Thrower and flooder. I love that combo, but I rarely have a chance to use it. Oh but when I do . . . :devil::D:candle:
:xyxgun:

Last edited:

Hawk600

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I do rotate because I have more than one favorite and variety is good :naughty:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
yeah ofcourse.. they will be lonely if they arent used..

if i KNOW i need runtime or output i take lmini2 or tk11. (also i know i have solarforce etc in the car if i suddenly need more than the pocket edc provides)

if i know i probably wont need a flashlight i take d10 or c2h. (and now past few weeks i have also swapped in or taken also along either: itp c7t, akoray k106, and jetbeam pro1. (but 70% the d10 is there)

if i know i might need it i take the zebralight too.

but i never go out without my keys.. so lummi raw is backing up everyone every day. and the lummi is the one that comes with me when i know i dont need one and it would be difficult to carry one (formal party or something like that)

i guess i need to slim down my edc flashlights.. as sun hardly sets no more.. barely dusk here for few months now.

but i change them up to play with them all time to time. they are after all meant to be used.

and sometimes i know i have used the light and havent recharged it.. so i know it will be running empty soon and cant be bothered to change the battery at the moment.. so i take other flashlight with me instead with full charge.

which reminds me. today is recharge/topping off day. d10 and lmini2 are both half done i think, and lummi goes in just in case too.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very rarely alternate with my main EDC, which is a D10, but if I go out I take different additional lights with me. I alternate my watch far more often (I'm also a G-Shock fanatic).

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I tend to have a summer and winter EDC. My work bag always contains a Fenix LD10 and an Eagletac P10A2.

In winter, I will have a jacket that contains an Olight T25. In the summer, I don't tend to have a jacket, so usually carry another LD10 or NDI.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Only when I have a reason too...

Part of that is admittedly a lack of alternative lights, but even with knives or other items, I mainly stick with one option unless I have a need to change.

For example I normally carry a Victorinox Cadet knife, which does near everything I need of it, so gets carried 99% of the time, on the other hand if I am going camping it will get swapped for a larger knife more suitable to that task (a German Bundeswahr SAK if anyone is interested) or if I am going to be somewhere more risky where I want a tougher more dependable knife it would get swapped for a Vic Soldier.

The only lights I really use are my Fenix L1T, E01 and a Petzl Tikka XP headtorch - the L1T comes with me 99% of the time, and only gets swapped out if I want to carry less for whatever reason in which case it gets swapped for the E01, or if I am going to be doing a lot of torchwork or camping or so on it will be carried alongside the Petzl.

At the moment I have no real need for any other lights, so that is all I own (though I would like a spare L1T...)

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
There is always a Photon MicroLight or similar on my keychain.

Higher output options are determined by the room in my front pockets. One pair of pants has pockets significantly wider than the others so I clip-in an E2. All other pants have just enough room for my Spartanian II beside my wallet.

The E2 of the day could be an E2L or an E2W with a Lumens Factory IMR-E2 -- depending on how much light I want. :naughty:

Additional lights in my BOB and first aid kit are pretty much ignored thanks to the LSD nature of lithium technology. I just have to remember to change (or charge) their 123 cells often enough to keep them dependable.

TaschenlampeMann

Newly Enlightened
I have a rotation of 9 or 10 lights, most are CR123 but I recently added an EZAA. I also switch out my pocket knife. Mostly for variety but sometimes for functionality if I know I will have a specific need. Recently I found myself tending toward smaller and brighter lights than my HDS and E1L.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I dont rotate at all. TK10 and LD01 SS 7 days a week for me...

I'll probably swap lights out for different lights as I get newer and better lights, but I dont see me changing my EDC from day to day at all...

I was thinking about swapping my TK10 for an LD10 just because its smaller.. but then I decided i had enough torches for now and didnt need to buy another lol.

m16a

Enlightened
As a general rule, I don't swap out my EDC. I have designed it to be versatile enough that it doesn't have to be swapped out. The only reason I ever change is when I know I will be in a situation that requires specialty lights.

I have an all flood, backup light (an Arc-P AAA) an all around light that can do anything (the Ra Clicky) and a relatively "throwy" light (in comparison to my other carries, the Nitecore D10). If I change, it is only when I know that I will be in a situation that requires the specialty of flood or throw that I will put away my D10 and carry my ZebraLight H50 Q5 or my Malkoff M30 in an L2m body with RCR123A when the situation calls for it.

I will also change out my EDC when a better light that refines my EDC even more comes out that I chose to buy. An example of this, was my D10 was previously my all around do it all light, and once the Ra Clicky came out, I bought it and replaced my D10. Other than those specific circumstances, I don't change my EDC. I have been using the same three light combo for the past ~7 months. My theory is that good EDC should be able to everything very well, but be outclassed by specialty lights, and I have designed it as such. So, my EDC only changes when that specialty is needed or refinement comes along. :thumbsup:

M16a