Flashlight Connectors damaging battery ends?

Palestofwhite

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I'm encountering this problem, the end connector from the switch of my SF E2DL and L1 have been scratching up the ends of my R/CR123. Is there anything to I can do to prevent this? I'm particularly concerned as I'm afraid the scratching motion on the RCRs might eventually wear the base of the cell out? Anyone finding trouble with this from extended use?

CR123s I'm not so concerned as they will be disposed of after every use.

Thank you.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap spring is left sharp to help it dig into a CR123 for positive electrical contact. For use with rechargables, I just take some 200-400 grit sandpaper or a very fine detail file and deburr and smooth the very end of the spring. You can't even see the difference when it's done, but you can feel it with your finger since the spring is no longer sharp enough to dig into a fingernail.

Last edited:

Palestofwhite

Newly Enlightened
Re: Flashlight Connectors damaging battery ends, and lubricants?

Hello there,

Thanks for your only input and I appreciate it. I will go get some sandpaper to sad it down a bit.

Also, which is a good brand of silicone lubricant for my SF lights? I think I will need a good bottle for some maintenance.

With regards.

*I think I found the right answers after a bit of searching around, thanks everyone!

Last edited:

dchao

Enlightened
Re: Flashlight Connectors damaging battery ends, and lubricants?

which is a good brand of silicone lubricant

For threads, any automotive dielectric grease will do. NyoGel 760G is highly recommended here, but I doubt it will make any significant difference on our flashlights. For O-rings, silicone O-ring lubricant from the plumbing section of the hardware store.

Dielectric grease and silicon O-ring lubricant will feel differently on the threads. Dielectric grease provides a smooth and dampening effect on the threads when you turn the tailcap.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Eagletac T10L has a particularly sharp tailcap spring end, which has actually bored small holes in the back of my 18650's. However, they are protected, so it isn't as if it is boring a whole straight into the cell itself (at least I hope not...), and there is plenty of contact from the rest of the end of the spring touching the negative contact of the battery.