mod a Nuwai for me?

Rexlion

Enlightened
I am looking at a Nuwai ALX233C at Batteryjunction. It takes 3 C batts but the Luxeon only puts out 80 lumens. I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in doing something to one of these for me to boost the output. At least double the lumens, preferably more. Any thoughts? What's the potential (or lack therof) for this light?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be able to mod it with an SSC P4 emitter, depending on how hard it is to get the Luxeon out.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do it yourself. It looks like a good learner light. Just open it, de-solder the emitter star and place a new emitter in it. YOu may have to adjust the depth of the reflector. You also might consider a driver update but that's less likely to result in much more lumens.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Do it yourself. It looks like a good learner light. Just open it, de-solder the emitter star and place a new emitter in it. YOu may have to adjust the depth of the reflector. You also might consider a driver update but that's less likely to result in much more lumens.
You make it sound so easy.
icon7.gif
I dunno... I've only done a tiny bit of soldering before, and never in a cramped space like the head of a light. Come to think of it, I was pretty good at de-soldering what I was trying to solder, :eek:oo: so that part should be a piece of cake! Is emitter size not that much of an issue... most will fit?

Tekno Cowboy, I saw your mod thread, glad for the link. I'll keep that in mind.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start taking it apart and post some pictures if you get stuck and we'll help you out. You got a camera right? It looks like it takes a standard 20m star. Clearly you have a soldering iron and maybe even de-soldering braid and solder. Do you have a dremel or tool for grinding the reflector base like a drill with a cutoff wheel?

johnA

Newly Enlightened
Any photos of ALX-233C mod? i have the same light (nuwai alx-233c) and i want more power and throwing...

johnA

Newly Enlightened
great mod man! very nice! could you post some pics with the new upgraded led in action? you upgrade only the led with the star and nothing else? the electrics is the same? why yours its black? i thought that the nuwai alx 233c was only silver.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
great mod man! very nice! could you post some pics with the new upgraded led in action? you upgrade only the led with the star and nothing else? the electrics is the same? why yours its black? i thought that the nuwai alx 233c was only silver.

That thread was done a long time ago, I don't even know if I have that light any more! It was well worth modding, double the output easy.

Yes I only changed the LED, everything else was left stock.

Black was the only colour, in the UK they come under a brand called "ring", but it's really a nuwai.