gentlemen, educate me about silk, sort of

iddibhai

Enlightened
ok, a this past wkend, i was with someone shopping for ties, and the conversation turned to whether all this stuff was synthetic silk or real (worm) silk. a quick search on google was fruitless, but my assertion was that perhaps the stuff you find in department stores is synthetic silk, while the high end stuff, like zegna is the real deal. i'm really curious. is there a definitive way to find out what's real, what's synthetic?

thanks!

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
The syntectics will most likely melt when you burn it with a lighter. Silk will just start to burn (after a while...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
Holger
P.S.: Sorry, couldn't resist. Probalby mot much aof a help for you but true anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The melt test only confirms natural fibers.
Cotton, wool, and silk will all burn (if you've ever burned human hair you'll know what to look for).
Synthetics will all melt.

If it says 100% silk it's worm silk.
"Synthetic silk" is a marketing gimmick -- it's not allowed on a label.
Rayon, nylon, lycra, etc. all have to be labeled for what they are.
"Dryclean Only" is no help either as some silks CAN be washed.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tangent: I did a very extensive research paper on spiders (one of the coolest insect life forms on the planet IMHO). IIRC, there has only been one article of clothing made with spider silk, a dress. You have to harvest it out of the spiders by catching it off of their spinnerets and drawing it out of them on a reel (doesn't hurt the spider, but takes a long time since it must be done by hand.) Spider silk is much better quality and texture than worm silk.

Last thing I heard was that they had isolated the gene for the spider silk and were trying to genetically modify goats or cows to have them produce the protein in their milk. Then it could be filtered out and spun in large quantities.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walk into an expensive ladies undergarment shop and try not to get in trouble copping a feel of a very expensive pair of undies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Then compare that to what you are seeing in the other store. If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No, really, GJW is correct, the labeling is controlled, you can't say 100% silk unless it actually is worm silk. If they are labeling it incorrectly and the government catches them it's going to cost them.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Walk into an expensive ladies undergarment shop and try not to get in trouble copping a feel of a very expensive pair of undies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And by law... they HAVE to let you try them on.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
the melt test did come up in our conversation, but we thought it prudent not to walk around trying to light up ties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif anyway, thanks for the answers. one more question: some were labeled 100% silk, others weren't, so i'm hoping i would be correct in guessing that if it wasn't labeled it is a blend or not silk at all.

thanks once again!

Lara

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Walk into an expensive ladies undergarment shop and try not to get in trouble copping a feel of a very expensive pair of undies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Then compare that to what you are seeing in the other store. If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly the point. Wearing something made of a string pulled from a living worm thrown into boiling water is not sexy anyway.