Lots of problems with Safari 4.0

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am running into lots of problems with Safari 4.0.

1st Nothing loaded. Then I realized it won't work in 800x500 screen resolution but not too bad in 1024x640. My eyesight is not that good.

Default page is Top List. Have to set it back to open with empty page.

Links on some web pages do not work.

With no windows open selecting a URL from bookmarks does not open a page. Have to do a New Page 1st.

I have sent over 10 Report Bugs to Apple so far.

I am unable to reinstall safari 3.2.3 even after I dumped Safari 4.0 and everything FIND can find with the word "Safari".

I am typing this in Firefox which I'm not familiar with.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefox may be a little unfamiliar, but it has a zoom feature you might be interested in.

I can't really help you with Safari, but you would probably be better off setting the resolution to Max, and then adjusting the DPI to compensate for the size. This will give you large fonts, and better compatibility.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
#1, keep checking for updates. Apple gets flooded when there are true issues and the .01 update usually fixes the most "popular". I'm at 4.01 and everything looks good (so far). And man is it fast!

#2, I've set my res to the lowest, 960x600 and it checks out (again with 401)

#3, As Tekno says, there are other options besides lowering monitor res. In Safari specifically, there is Zoom in/out in the View menu and permanent settings under Preferences>Appearance. But this won't help with Photos.

#4, There is also a system wide zoom feature under Apple>SystemPreferences>UniversalAccess>Seeing. Turn Zoom on, the use command-option plus and minus (+ -) to zoom in and out anytime.

#5, Another option would be getting a low resolution display. They're harder to find these days, but anything big enough to be a TV that has computer inputs can work for this.

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello LEDninja

It's strange that you got 4.0 instead of 4.01 (I read your other post). Have you tried running the software update again? My version is 4.01 (5530.18). I haven't had any bugs to report at all so far, so it is possible that you have somehow downloaded the beta version.

If you're using an LCD monitor, unfortunately they do not resize well (they are not sharp unless run in native resolution). Both Safari and Firefox have a zoom function that works really well (in that it resizes everything). Most of the text and icons on OSX can also be enlarged, it's just a matter of working out how to do it. The problem is that not all the text can be enlarged.

Maybe a cheap HD LCD TV would be a good solution (depending on your budget). The pixel pitch is relatively large but it makes up for it with it's large screen size.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take it as an opportunity to get familiar with FireFox.

I generally use two browsers so a broken update doesn't disabled my online activities.

FWIW... I haven't had any problems with Safari 4.0.1, but I also haven't used it that much yet.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firefox is an excellent browser, and is much better than safari IMO. Take this as a hint that you should switch over!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello LEDninja

It's strange that you got 4.0 instead of 4.01 (I read your other post). Have you tried running the software update again? My version is 4.01 (5530.18). I haven't had any bugs to report at all so far, so it is possible that you have somehow downloaded the beta version.

If you're using an LCD monitor, unfortunately they do not resize well (they are not sharp unless run in native resolution). Both Safari and Firefox have a zoom function that works really well (in that it resizes everything). Most of the text and icons on OSX can also be enlarged, it's just a matter of working out how to do it. The problem is that not all the text can be enlarged.
I am running system 10.4.11 so I am stuck with the Tiger upgrade.
Safari4.0Tiger.dmg; Version 4.0 (4530.17)
Apple is probably fixing the Leopard version first.
(can't afford $200 every time Apple wants more money + I know 10.4.x works well with my iMac. Almost got the 10.5/works bundle then I heard about Snow Leopard and held off)

Guess I'll run in higher res and up the font size for now and see how it works out.

How do you guys like the new features Top Sites and Cover Flow?
Lost my bookmarks in my attempts to go back to Safari 3.x so those are not useful to me at this time.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
This may not help, but something that fixes (and/or prevents) a variety of ailments is to install the combo OS updater instead of the delta updater. For example, when you were at 10.4.10, the .11 updater contained just the changes from .10. If the installer saw any issues as it was going along that were not contained in the smaller .11 only (delta) updater, it skipped it over. If instead, you run the 10.4.0 -> 10.4.11 (combo) updater, the installer is more likely to have the correct resource, giving you a stronger installation.

Here's the page with all 4 options, you would choose the combo updater (light blue link) correct for your hardware (PPC or intel):
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24901

This may also be successful at giving you back Safari 3.x

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened
This update addresses incompatibilities between Safari 4.0 and certain features in iPhoto '09, including Places and Facebook publishing.

lilprk

Newly Enlightened
I had to go to an Apple store to get rid of Safari 4.0 which I had hastily installed on blind faith (which I had done with all updates as they came along since buying the Mac BkPro 2yrs ago- won't do that again)- took the Geniuses over an hour to take it out and re-install 3.2 (4.0 brought mucho problemas, even my 1-to-1 trainer at Apple had to do the same with his!)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE: Safari 4.02 now available

I've had a few problems with 4.01 unexpectedly shutting down on certain websites. I'm hoping 4.02 will fix this.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I have been running Safari 4.0.1 with out any problems and updated it the first day the update was available on "Software update". I am now on Safari 4.0.2 and still have no problems to report, 4.0.1 as well as 4.0.2 is very fast and stable (for me).

I will note that *all* updates from 10.x.x, MS OFFICE 2004, Safari have been from Software Update and have never used the combo updates.

Current system:

iMac 20" late 2007
OS X 10.5.7
Safari 4.0.2
iTunes 8.2 (23) 2 accounts used with iphone 3G and 3Gs
Dual monitors, extended desktop
Time Machine (My Book 1TB hard drive)
Cisco Linksys WRT160N wireless-N Broadband Router

Bill

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not had one issue with it. There is an update; 4.0.2. Run your software updater.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Got the update.

Safari 4.0.2 works properly with 800x500 resolution windows. (Safari 4.0 works with 1024x640 or bigger but not 800x500) Now I don't have to change resolution depending on whether I want to surf or do other things.

Actually OSX expects most people to run at a higher than 800x500 resolution. Almost all dialog boxes are more than 500 high. I get away with it as most of the stuff below what I can see is usually just the DONE button and I hit the RETURN key instead.