DIY battery holders & resistance of contacts

hamlet

Newly Enlightened
I am considering using PVC pipe to build battery trays for AA and D cell packs, because the common commercially available trays have those spring contacts, which we all know produce high-resistance that is such a problem in projects with large amperage draw, and there are no trays for 12-22v packs.

I know that packs made from batteries with tabs are probably the best solution, but I am trying to work with what I have, and I just prefer no-tabs, as the no-tab batteries are the most versatile.

Has anyone here had experience with such a DIY arrangement? Will a series connected battery pack experience significant resistance when placed in an end-to-end arrangement? Is there a conductive grease that could help?

clintb

Enlightened
I just built the universal charging clamp, ala user "cy", and measured the resistance. Findings: absolutely no reason to think it'll have any detrimental effect. At each end, it's 0.003 ohms. Point being, if you're not going to solder, or have tabs, or spot weld, just make sure to clean the contact points with some DeOxit Gold and you'll be good to go.