Surefire Runtimes

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the 6PL and G2L. They say they're 80 lumens and run for 12 hours. Anyone know if this is so? I looked at the P60 Drop in thread but it looked like most of them were High Power and Low Runtime or for some reason 80 lumens but with only about 8 hours of runtime (Which is why I ask about the runtime of the surefires). Anyone know of a high quality drop in for the 6P/9P/G2 lights that runs at about 100 true lumens for around 10 hours. This would be the best compromise of runtime and brightness for me. Right now the Malkoff Low Power kit is in the lead with about 130 lumens for 4.5 hours. But I'd like a little less light and a little more runtime. Is there the perfect 100 lumen 10 hour setup for this light out there?

Jaywalk3r

Banned
Looking at the 6PL and G2L. They say they're 80 lumens and run for 12 hours. Anyone know if this is so?

I think the 11/12 hour runtimes (6PL and G2L, respectively) represent the amount of time the P60L module will produce usable light. It won't produce 80 lumens for that entire time.

I'm not sure why the 6PL and the G2L list different runtimes.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think the 11/12 hour runtimes (6PL and G2L, respectively) represent the amount of time the P60L module will produce usable light. It won't produce 80 lumens for that entire time.

I'm not sure why the 6PL and the G2L list different runtimes.

The G2L does not have as good cooling as the 6PL and the led module will reduce output when it gets hot and this way extend runtime, but with lower output.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
Heat really isn't that big an issue to me. I probably won't run the light longer than 30 minutes at a time. But the longer runtime would mean it would last a lot longer between battery changes for me. Plus I would like to have a light that can put out useful light for the majority of one night were I in a sitaution that called for it. I may just go ahead and go with factory buld since anything brighter is seemingly gonna cut my runtime up considerably. If there were a 100 lumen 10 hour kit... that would be perfect for me.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P60L and the Malkoff M60L will both give you about 4 hours of runtime.

The Malkoff M60L will give 130 plus lumens for the entire 4 hours.

The P60L will give you 80 lumens for about 4 hours, then less, less, less, if I recall from 8~12 hours you will under 10 lumens, but Surefire still includes it in their runtime.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
No P60 drop in that i know of will give you 100 lumen for 10 hours.Malkoff M60LL is the closest you will get. 80+ bulb LM for 8 hours.Then you get 5-6 more hours at a reduced level.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60L will give around 3-4 hours of useable dimming light after the 4.5 hours of regulated full brightness. Should get you thru a long night. It is a good choice. Another would be the M60LL, 8 hours of full 80 lumens, then several more hours of useable dimming light. This choice is way better than the dinky surefire p60l. With the p60l, you only get two hours at 80 lumens, then the rest of the time is diminishing light. IMO, get one of the Malkoffs. You can trust the ratings on these.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
No P60 drop in that i know of will give you 100 lumen for 10 hours.Malkoff M60LL is the closest you will get. 80+ bulb LM for 8 hours.Then you get 5-6 more hours at a reduced level.

Really? See I didn't understand that. That makes that unit more appealing to me. I don't think my eye can tell the difference between 80 and 100 lumens anyway. So it will produce around 13 hours of light and about 8 of them at 80 Lumens? That's not a bad deal if the Surefire runs out of 80 lumen power after 4 hours.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
The M60L will give around 3-4 hours of useable dimming light after the 4.5 hours of regulated full brightness. Should get you thru a long night. It is a good choice. Another would be the M60LL, 8 hours of full 80 lumens, then several more hours of useable dimming light. This choice is way better than the dinky surefire p60l. With the p60l, you only get two hours at 80 lumens, then the rest of the time is diminishing light. IMO, get one of the Malkoffs. You can trust the ratings on these.

Thank you. I'm still so unedcuated at lights. For most of my life a light has been a light. Never really got much into specs and accessories or mods. But now that I am I'm learning things aren't always what they seem. I've heard the Malkoffs are top quality. I'm thinking this 80 lumen unit is gonna be a winner for me. I just need enough light to find my way with at night and see far enough away to detect any bad terrain or threats. I think 80 Lumens is gonna do that just fine. I keep an Inova T4 in my truck and it supposed to be around 175 lumens. The Surefire with whatever bulb will just be a backpack light for emergencies.

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
Really? See I didn't understand that. That makes that unit more appealing to me. I don't think my eye can tell the difference between 80 and 100 lumens anyway. So it will produce around 13 hours of light and about 8 of them at 80 Lumens? That's not a bad deal if the Surefire runs out of 80 lumen power after 4 hours.

Actually, I've measured the surefire 6P with the Malkoff M60LL at close to 18hrs at full output (appx 4000Lux). See this thread for the graph:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2815326&postcount=108

If you want to go brighter, get yourself a 9P (or G3L) and the M60LL. It will hold full brightness (appx 7000Lux) for 12hrs. A little shorter runtime but a lot brighter.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2815335&postcount=110

C.P.T.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Actually, I've measured the surefire 6P with the Malkoff M60LL at close to 18hrs at full output (appx 4000Lux). See this thread for the graph:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2815326&postcount=108
If you want to go brighter, get yourself a 9P (or G3L) and the M60LL. It will hold full brightness (appx 7000Lux) for 12hrs. A little shorter runtime but a lot brighter.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2815335&postcount=110
You, fine sir, is my hero. Very happy to see runtime graphs on the M60LL on both two-cell and three-cell configurations.:twothumbs
Very very very interesting. I would have thought that the M60LL three-cell configuration would have gotten 50%+ more runtime than the two-cell configuration. Instead it gets more lux but less runtime. Very interesting. Thank you.

Edit: This reminds me of Greyshark's experience with his long-runtime-test of the M60LL on 2xAA. Adequate output for incredibly long runtimes, a far more practical configuration than an M60 on 2xAA (my recollection of his narrative). I understand the M60LL less and less as time goes by. Its behavior is not what I'd expect after reading so much about the more-popular high-output modules, undoubtedly something very different.

For example, this is most definitely not the behavior of the M60 on 3x123 (which is: same output, 50%+ more runtime). Which is what I expected for the M60LL as well, until your most interesting discovery. I'll have to go back to your thread and read up some more...

Last edited: