My first Mod

The Welsh Wizard

Newly Enlightened
I have been Lurking for some time but have decided to join.

I have had a Mini maglite for some time but recently lent it to a friend and it got broken so i have decided to upgrade it. I don't really no where to start but found this LINK and thought about buying the LED recommended There. My budget is about £50 ($70).

So could people give me advice and or help. I have done basic electronics before but have not got a soldering iron but intend to buy one. I also have access to a lathe and basic tools.

Thanks for any help

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
The easiest thing to do is grab a MJ 2-AA Module kit and maybe an UCL lens to go with it. I know that Lighthound has them, and so does the Sandwich Shoppe. The TerraLux TLE-5EX drop in is brighter, but only costs about $8 less than an entire TLF-3C2AAEX Terralux flashlight (a great light by the way). The TLE-5EX still makes sense though if you are someone so used to the Minimag design that you hate to switch to any other type of light OR you are going to beat the heck out of a host and want something small and very cheap to destroy so you can just move the "guts" on to the next Minimag when the time comes, something you can't do with the factory LED Minimags or most other lights.

The Welsh Wizard

Newly Enlightened
The easiest thing to do is grab a MJ 2-AA Module kit and maybe an UCL lens to go with it. I know that Lighthound has them, and so does the Sandwich Shoppe. The TerraLux TLE-5EX drop in is brighter, but only costs about $8 less than an entire TLF-3C2AAEX Terralux flashlight (a great light by the way). The TLE-5EX still makes sense though if you are someone so used to the Minimag design that you hate to switch to any other type of light OR you are going to beat the heck out of a host and want something small and very cheap to destroy so you can just move the "guts" on to the next Minimag when the time comes, something you can't do with the factory LED Minimags or most other lights.
thanks for your help Marlinaholic i think i will buy a new lens but can't find the module kit you recommend