Need help with finding flashlights.....

DemskeetSkeet

Newly Enlightened
Hi there! I have been given a task to find some flashlights for work to go in our power outage/emergency kit.

I need about 6 to 10 lights that preferably have long lasting bulbs like LED's, CREE, etc.

Must run on AA battery/batteries.
must be of decent size(nothing little and nothing gigantic).
Run time must be at least a few hours.
Decent brightness, such as 20 lumens or higher.
Shouldn't look too attractive because we want something that isn't too attractive for thieves to snag.
and lastly a price tag of $15 or less.

Also a place/link to purchase them from.

Anyone know of any? or decent quality/brand name for $15 or less?

Don't need anything fancy, just something for our kit.

Take care

Edit: forgot to mention that I am also looking for some table top lamps/lanterns for when we're out of power.

Preferably cheap, decent brightness and most importantly LED or other long lasting bulb. Preferably a long lasting run time with large size batteries or a decent run time with more AA batteries.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best you could do for $15 is probably at walmart or similar store and find what you can.

I don't think I would want a cheapy light in a emergency situation though.

If at possible I would suggest to atleast double your budget plan.

Last edited:

DemskeetSkeet

Newly Enlightened
Best you could do for $15 is probably at walmart or similar store and find what you can.

I don't think I would want a cheapy light in a emergency situation though.

If at possible I would suggest to atleast double your budget plan.

It isn't really my budget plan, it's the boss's budget plan.

But it isn't really an emergency situation.

it's just for power outages at work.

DemskeetSkeet

Newly Enlightened
Anyone ever use Dorcy lights? They seem cheap but durable, decent run time but no signs of how bright they are, anyone know Lumen output on some of the cheaper Dorcy's

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few dorcy lights and there not bad for the price. The headlamp might work well at a work environment if you need your hands to get stuff done.

paintballdad

Enlightened
You might want to head to Lowe's if there is one near you. They might still have the 2AA & 3AA LED MiniMags on sale for $14.97. I think it fits your requirement pretty well.

DemskeetSkeet

Newly Enlightened
You might want to head to Lowe's if there is one near you. They might still have the 2AA & 3AA LED MiniMags on sale for $14.97. I think it fits your requirement pretty well.

at $15 that isn't bad at all!

Will have to check that out tomorrow.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Closest I can come to an under $15 recommendation would be the Romisen RC-G2 for 16.45 each from Shiningbeam.com. I found a decent 14.99 Nuwai at batteryjunction, but it ran on 123s not AAs.

DemskeetSkeet

Newly Enlightened
That one takes AAA's not AA's.

if the runtime is around 40 hours on 3 AAA's than that's fine.

Just need something with good run time but either AAA or AA is fine.

I also doubt that the little dorcy would be over 10 lumens.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
Do you realize how little 10 lumens is? I would assume that dorcy is easily more than 10 lumens. The 40 hours run time is questionalble though. I bet they are counting 10-20 hours of very dim and not really usable levels of light in that total run time.

vali

Enlightened
I think you can take a look at the akoray k-102. Its cheap, sturdy and uses one AAA. The runtime is about 150-180 minutes and it has about 25-30 lumen.

In AA format there are many decent lights in the $15 range, but most of them have only one mode and the runtime is about 60 minutes (RC-G2). Maybe a Ultrafire C3 multimode (but the interface is a kick in the *** and some time ago had quality issues) or the Romisen RC-I3.

The thing is most cheapos have bad drivers and the efficiency is just too low to get decent brightness/runtime. Probably there are some dorcy, husky, etc that can meet your criteria (but since I dont live in USA I am not aware of their products).

Edit: Just saw you are thinking in 2xAA too. Then I can recommend the Romisen RC-N3. The Shiningbeam option will probably be much better, but then you are out of budget. The DX version is cheaper and dimmer but the runtimes are comparable (3 hours on max, 10 on med). You can order less lights and get them from a reliable source too.

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i would also think about buying a set of those cheap led keychains.. fauxtons from deal extreme. 10 pieces for 4.50$. as backup for everyone. cheap to toss around and if the main AA light fails (empty batteries or something) everyone still would have the 45c led as backup. and when they stop working.. just throw them away. **suprising bright they are!**

DemskeetSkeet

Newly Enlightened
i would also think about buying a set of those cheap led keychains.. fauxtons from deal extreme. 10 pieces for 4.50$. as backup for everyone. cheap to toss around and if the main AA light fails (empty batteries or something) everyone still would have the 45c led as backup. and when they stop working.. just throw them away. **suprising bright they are!**

Very good idea!!!!

I may have to mention that to them. We are reallyliking the look of the Dorcy, looks cheap, it's LED, runtime should be good enough. over 10 hours on battery life should be sufficient. I can get AAA's and AA's for much cheaper.

Just really need to decent quality, long lasting(run time and LED lifetime over just a simple cheap bulb).

You guys think that little dorcy x3 AAA is brighter than 10 lumens?

I've seen plenty of small led lights run under 10 lumens.

I think we're fixed on those because they are kind of small and they look cheap.

Thank you all for the help.

Purchased the All weather energizer led lantern today at Target for $21 and must say it lights the room quite easily.

Take care
-Matt

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not just get the Fenix E01s, they go for $15 before discount (CPF8) on 4sevens (free shipping too), they run for a very nice long time on 1xAAA, if you guys have ID cards on lanyards, just clip the lights to the lanyards, that way the lights will be with you at all times. In power outages, i.e. REALLY dark, its 20 lumens is more than ample.

Why not get one to try first?

vali

Enlightened
why not just get the Fenix E01s, they go for $15 before discount (CPF8) on 4sevens (free shipping too), they run for a very nice long time on 1xAAA, if you guys have ID cards on lanyards, just clip the lights to the lanyards, that way the lights will be with you at all times. In power outages, i.e. REALLY dark, its 20 lumens is more than ample.

Why not get one to try first?

Did you say 10 lumens?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you say 10 lumens?

oooops!! :oops: i sit corrected.

TEN lumens it is then, but still it is ample in dark conditions like a power outage, for further reference check out this thread

quote from that thread

Stress Test said:
"However, my new best friend during all this was....... The Fenix E01! That's right, the lowly, much maligned, purple ringed beam, E01. In the complete darkness, it put out plenty of light to walk aound, and even did a fair job of illuminating a room in ceiling bounce. I was surprised by how bright it seemed, but it makes a big difference when there's NO ambient light at all. And I didn't worry about run time at all, because I knew I had a few AAA alkalines lying around, and each one would give me something like 7 hours of runtime. 15 bucks well spent!! lol :twothumbs"