Anybody Use A Dating Service?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
About 9 months ago, two female friends of mine talked me into joining an internet dating sight. Two of my male friends also helped convince me to try, because they both paid to join a computer dating service, and both ended up meeting their wives that way! On said "It was the best XXX dollars I've ever spent!"

I'm curious as to the experiences other forum members have had with these services. I've only used two, Love@AOL and MatchMaker.com. I was pretty happy with both. I stuck with Matchmaker because I felt their written questions were more extensive and informative.

Here are my main observations, in no particular order:

Woman always want guys with $100,000 plus salaries and over 5'10" tall.

Men lie like hell about their incomes and height. When I joined up, I took a look at some guys profiles to get an idea how to do mine. I tell you, I've never knew there were so many 6 foot plus Asian guys!!!:D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Women lie like hell about their age and weight.

I am amazed how quickly women demand a marriage proposal. I'm 41, and I've met several women who in 2 weeks were pressuring me for a marriage proposal. They weren't bluffing, either, because when I failed to propose, they were gone!

Dating is insanely expensive for the average guy. To me, spending $100 on a nice knife or flashlight is a big deal. But, since it's my money, blowing $200 and up a night on a date is nothing in a woman's eyes.

Most woman are definitely looking for financial security. I can't blame them, I guess, it would be nice to know you are not going to have to work another day in your life if you don't want to!

Some woman I've met were just nuts and/or insanely stupid. When a girl calls your up like 20 times because she keeps forgeting the address and directions to the place you are supposed to meet, run!

A few women I met were absolutely horrible at conversation. One girl I took to dinner never said more than 40 words the entire night. The words she did say were "yes" "no" and "I don't know." I honestly think "I don't know" was the only sentence she uttered.

In general, I think if you spend some time and thought to create a good profile for youself, women will respond. Oh, it also amazes me how bad some people's photos are. I swear, one guy had a picture of the top of his bald head! A lot of women have photos of themselves with their ex-boyfriends. Yeah, wonder why Playboy doesn't shoot its centerfolds in the arms of their boyfriends? Honestly, some people are not too bright.

And the great thing is, even if women don't respond, you can contact them. Let me tell you this, some of the girls I've met through internet dating have been stunning! Like, wow, I can't believe I'm actually dating a girl this hot looking!

So, I say, try it. There's more to life than boy's toys and the internet. (Write that down, lol).

Bruise

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody Use A Dating Service? (online too!)

[ QUOTE ]
BruiseLee said:
Woman always want guys with $100,000 plus salaries and over 5'10" tall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say that I've actually USED a online dating service, I did Join Matchmaker.com for a while, but no dates.

I did find it fun to browse however!

At first I was upset that so many woman were requesting tall men. But now, I am glad that the women that want tall men, state so in their request. Reason?: If that is what is important to them, it is probably glad that we did not meet. For me, I am open, I think the chemistry has to be right. A short, redhead housewife, that barely graduated high school, or a tall blond MD, PHD, or a brunette working professional, or any combination, if the chemestry is right, that is what matters.

I find it ironic, that it is so exceptable for woman to say they are looking for tall men, but if a man said, I am looking for a blond with big boobs, it would not be so acceptable.

Catman10

Enlightened

That does seem like a double standard, I'm presently in a class on interpersonal relationshiips and we did an analysis of the content of mens and womens personal adds. It was interesting to see the different euphemisms used. Looking for an "athletic" female, and a "secure" man were used a lot. For anyone interested, pick up a book or find a web article on evolutionary psychology (David M Buss is the authority in the field) as an explanatory framework for the differences in men and womens dating preferences and mating strategies. Lots of people do use these services though, and some of the better ones have shown some encouraging success rates.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

The dating service I used were my friends in college. Didn't cost more than a few drinks and it apparently worked out just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Online stuff is fine, but nothing beats a friend who has your best interest at heart.

-Jason

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
The dating service I used were my friends in college. Didn't cost more than a few drinks and it apparently worked out just fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Online stuff is fine, but nothing beats a friend who has your best interest at heart.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

You have obviously never been on a BAD blind date!

Some of my bad blind dates have been:

A woman soo fat, that when I opened the car door for her, and walked over to my side, my car was sverely leaning towards the passanger side (I was a little overweight too, but she was just HUGE!)

A woman, in her 20's that was almost completely bald, and did not wear a wig and was not sick or in chemo or anything.

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
You have some good points, Here is some of my exp

I've probably dated about 4 girls from online. Here are Smaug's tips:

1. Don't be afraid of calling it off. That is the beauty of online dating. You have a much larger pool, which should theoretically give you better chances to find 'The One'. Everyone is looking, there are less games because you have one thing in common from the start.

2. Be brutally honest in your ad, it will pay big dividends later. If fat girls turn you off, say it in a nice way so as not to offend the girls who are just a TAD fat and girls who are not fat at all.

3. If you often find yourself thinking about your dates' faults: "Well, that is a fault, but nothing I couldn't look past..." End it. I almost married a girl who made me think that a lot. Dated her for 2 years, got engaged, and 2 months before the wedding, she said "You're too controlling." out of nowhere. She had thought that for a while, but never bothered to talk to me about it. (The truth was that I wouldn't let her control EVERYTHING and that made ME too controlling, hehehe)

4. Don't give up, but make sure you learn something from each attempt. You should know what features you're looking for, but you should also know what to avoid. In the process, you have to make sure you are realistic. It can be hard to do that all at once. Women tend to overreact on that one. They forget to be realistic.

5. Traits that I look for: Class, intelligence, sense of humor, good personality, and OK physical shape. (not fat though!) Class is very important and very hard to describe, and it has nothing to do with money. It is how she was raised.

My neighbor is having a hard time finding an acceptable boyfriend. She is a cute blonde, about 32 yo. Her man has to have a boat or fly planes, has to be handsome, and 'financially secure', meaning he has to make at least as much as she does. I told her the only way she will truly be successful is if SHE doesn't get to pick her own boyfriend! Guys like that will just use her. Not my problem. I told her all that, and if she can't see it, I've done all I can.

Currently, I'm dating a really great girl I also met through online dating. (Yahoo Personals) She is so much better than anyone I have previously dated, it makes me wonder what I saw in them. She is very smart, ambitious, friendly, classy, realistic, and reasonable. If you're curious, here's a link to a pic:
http://user.mc.net/~jzorns/Kate_&_I_04.JPG

Hopefully, anyone reading this can learn from my mistakes and not their own.

-Jeremy

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: You have some good points, Here is some of my exp

Yall look like a nice couple!

No way you two meet online!

Congrats!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: You have some good points, Here is some of my exp

[ QUOTE ]
Smaug said:
Be brutally honest in your ad, it will pay big dividends later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's mine--

Short dark and handsome, slightly overwieght 26 year old professional student who likes to hear himself talk and has a flashlight obsession seeks beautiful, rich and tallented SWF (preferably Phd or MD) that will buy me things and allow me to spend her money without question. Subserviance and a B cup or larger a must, as well as height between 5'0" and 5'9". No emotional baggage or spychoses. Must be willing to travel far away from and break all contact with your parents.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

-Jason

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: You have some good points, Here is some of my

LMAO, Jason you kill me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Anybody use a Dating Service? (online too)

Nice jason. Too bad for that "F" part, or I might have shown up at your door this evening. You sound dreamy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(mostly I just wanted to put the subject back to something that makes sense. PLEASE don't change the subject to match your post - the subject is all we have to find a thread... thanks!)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody use a Dating Service? (online too)

Maybe we could use a carbon 14 dating service to get an idea as to how old Darrell really is.

Tombeis

Enlightened

I hope running an ad in the "personal dating section of the Cleveland Plain Dealer meets Darell's high standards of a "Dating Service" If so, I will add this to the very enlightening posts above.

1. I am overqualified as a prospect for women. I own my own home and pickup truck. I am financially secure, tall(6'4"),
good looking, and older. ( Women like an older guy, they have visions of you kicking the bucket, and them getting everything you own. Best of all, I make the ladies laugh.

On to the newspaper add.

Wanted 35 year old redheaded slut with big boobs. If you are slightly overweight,that is a plus. Call Tom (440)555-1212.

The results. Mixed. Out of twenty three responses, only eighteen came close to meeting my high standards. Of the eighteen that qualified, only sixteen "worked out" if you know what I mean.

The long term results?

I truly believe this: "He who dies with the most toys wins."

The moral: Why spend your flashlight money on women?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Too bad for that "F" part, or I might have shown up at your door this evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I also mentioned no spychoses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif I'm counting quite a few as more than none.

And back on topic:
And for any girls out there reading this, a new McLux is a sure way to get yourself a man. Remember that a new custom McLux to most men is like wine-coolers to a college sorority girl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

This does not work in reverse. Giving your girl a McLux is like giving your money to a mule--damned if people wonder how she got it and damned if she knowes what to do with it.
There are a few exceptions to every rule though. To those women, I say thank you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

-Jason

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
And for any girls out there reading this, a new McLux is a sure way to get yourself a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the looks of how some of the guys on this thread (and the other girlfriend one) feel about women, (and how highly they think of themselves... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ), I doubt I'd be offering up a McLux to any of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif Better to give it to one of the bulldogs... at least they know who's hand is going to be petting them... and they don't bite it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened

Sasha:

What do you expect from a bunch of guys who love... FLASHLIGHTS?

You could always start an advice to the flashhlight lovelorn column. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Warning--Completely off topic

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Better to give it to one of the bulldogs... at least they know who's hand is going to be petting them... and they don't bite it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been given carte blanche and I'll bite whomever I feel like; especially if they've got a McLux I think I can get
bite.gif

Gotcha!
Just kidding--I usually ask first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I would like another McLux. My plan is to lock them together in a room and do forced breeding to form my own race of super-McLuxes.
Hopefully they aren't both males /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
but if they both turn out to be famales... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif I'm thinking of making a video called "When McLuxes go wild"
I wonder how you can tell McLuxes apart?

-Jason

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sasha, tell it to my wife of ten years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Tombeis said:
Wanted 35 year old redheaded slut with big boobs. If you are slightly overweight,that is a plus. Call Tom

, only sixteen "worked out" if you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAAAAAAAAA??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Tom... I tried that on the other girlfriend thread. No one seemed to like what I had to say... they just wanted to bash Filipinas... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I figure there are just some threads that I need to avoid. I knew this was one of them... but I had a spike of estrogen and couldn't help myself...
whip2.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sasha--This is good, a little estrogen spike never hurt anyone...I need a little reminder of what life was like before my wife's deployment.

I need to get a real shocker right before she comes home to get me back in husband mode so I'm not overwhelmed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

-Jason

Latest posts