EX10, rechargeables last 5 minutes?

Spence

Enlightened
I've got a brand new NiteCore EX10 that runs on both primary CR123's or LiIon RCR123 rechargeables, the problem:
I've run AW 3.7v and Ultrafire 3.6, and they last on high, less than five minutes, then abruptly shut off (no dimming). When I run Tenergy 3.0v or Soshine 3.0 it dims to 50% or less. What could be causing this? Primaries seem to hold up a little longer. :thinking: I'm really fond of this little light and would hate relegating it to the "of no practical use" junk collection drawer.:mecry:

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like the protection circuit on the cells is kicking in. The high mode may be putting enough load on the cell that the voltage sags below the cut-off point of the protection citcuit. Primaries don't have a protection circuit since they are disposable and there is no need to protect them from being overdischarged.

Spence

Enlightened
Greetings More-
Thanks for the response. So is it a problem with the batteries or the flashlight in that case? What should I do to overcome the problem?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've run into similar behavior with one of my RCR123's and my Quark123 light. After a couple of minutes on high with this blue unbranded battery, the light shuts off. I figured the battery was shot and almost discarded it. Then I tried it in a couple of other lights and it worked fine, even on high for a long while.

I've now got the blue battery in a Nitecore Extreme which puts out about the same amount of light on high as the Q123 and it seems to be happy.

Grumpy

Enlightened
Hello Spence,

I have a Nitecore EX10 R2 edition.

I plan on buying brand new batteries and brand new better charger and will let you know if this fixes my particular issue in the referenced thread above.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts