Waiting for the SureFire LX1...

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a nice light from the 2009 catalogue: 80 lumens, 1.5 hours, 10 lumens, 15 hours, IIRC, a bit smaller and trimmer than the existing L1, and what looks like the E1B bi-directional clip.

But I'm expecting it will be close to $200, and really, will it be that much of an improvement over the current L1? With such a high price, and L1s floating around, I've lost my initial enthusiasm for acquiring an L1X.

But, since we are now hearing that the LX2 will be putting out 200, rather than 120 lumens (and, yes, I'm skeptical about that, too) is the LX1 going to be more light than the catalogue specs have led us to believe? Should I be getting interested in this upcoming model again?

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
Re: Any interest in the upcoming SureFire Lx1?

There is a good possibility that the LX1 specs from catalog will change. We can all hope.

Since the LX2 is already on surefire's website listing at $195, the LX1 cannot be pushing $200. Maybe $165-$175.

1996alnl

Enlightened

I pretty much lost interest in it too,for a couple reasons.

One,Surefire takes to long to release a product and two in these tough economic times i could not drop that kind of cash for a flashlight.

I'll stick with my L1 Cree..i'm happy with it.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I'll stick with my L1 Cree..i'm happy with it.
Same here, if I didn't have my current L1, I'd probably be a lot more interested. I'd spend something to get a lower low in my L1 (otherwise it's about the perfect light IMO), but at this point (regarding the sooner-ETA LX2) I doubt SF will have the 'low' low enough in the newer version, at least for me. :shrug: I would wager that it will have the same tailcap resistor value as the LX2 and the new Aviator - the current tailcap has the same resistance value in the L1 (Lux), L1 (Cree), L2, & Aviator. So whatever it will be might not be just a compromise between user preferences - it might be an engineering compromise between the different characteristics of the three new lights. So I'm not optimistic. FWIW (not really all that much this early in the morning :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened

I would wager that it will have the same tailcap resistor value as the LX2 and the new Aviator - the current tailcap has the same resistance value in the L1 (Lux), L1 (Cree), L2, & Aviator. So whatever it will be might not be just a compromise between user preferences - it might be an engineering compromise between the different characteristics of the three new lights.

From what I understand, the new LX1 and LX2 lights have a regulated low level, versus the resistored direct-drive low of the L1 & L2. If this is correct, I'd expect that Surefire could make the low level as bright or dim as they want.

Bushman5

Enlightened

ZERO interest whatsoever. Getting pretty dang tired (pissed off and royally fed up actually) at the way Surefire releases new lights in CATALOG form only. Sure is fun (NOT!) to get to look at pretty lights on glossy paper, when there is ZERO CHANCE of ever seeing them for real.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the L1 Cree and will still buy the LX1 and the LX2 when they become available and sell the L1 Cree.

Curtis

Dan FO

Enlightened

The L2 was $195 and the new LX2 is $195. I expect the new LX1 will be priced the same as the current L1.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened

I'll try one when they come out, but am not chomping at the bit for one, if I can pick up a slightly used one 3 or 4 months after they are on the market at a good price, that's fine with me, that's how I usually do it, It's like I'm in some sort of time warp vs the rest of the forum, I just bought my first R2 Nitecore EX10 today :crackup:

Update: I couldn't wait! Bought a new one and it is really nice, I'm glad I took the plunge.

Last edited:

ypsifly

Enlightened

Going by the '09 catalog, the LX1 and E1b are equally bright on high, with a slightly longer run time on the LX1, 1.5 .vs 1.3hrs IIRC. The LX1 has twice the lumens on low, but the Backup has more than twice the run time. The low on the E1b works just fine for me, double that would be too much. I really like the simple UI on the Backup. Both have clips that allow for bezel up/down carry. I like the fact that the LX1 can use a lanyard, but the Backup wasn't really made for that kind of carry/hold.

Unless the final version of the LX1 exceeds the currently listed specs, I'm in no hurry. But we'll see. At the rate I've been picking up SFs...I'll have one by Christmas.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am very interested in it, but I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a new one when I have a Milky L1 and E1b that serve me very well at the moment. With any luck I will find a used Lx1 cheap a year or so from now. :whistle:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

ZERO interest whatsoever. Getting pretty dang tired (pissed off and royally fed up actually) at the way Surefire releases new lights in CATALOG form only. Sure is fun (NOT!) to get to look at pretty lights on glossy paper, when there is ZERO CHANCE of ever seeing them for real.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

"in CATALOG form only"

how right you are! :laughing:

i've been waiting for years for lights that were in their catalogs...

at least some of the '09 models are starting to hit the shelves. that is a good sign...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Were the G2/3L-FYL models in the newest catalog or were they just a surprise?
I've never seen one of the catalogs in person.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LX1 is being planned for release later in the year.

Wow, I was hoping sooner.

Do I dare say Titan, LX2 and LX1 (and Saint?) are the only ones to be released this year out of all the items in the catalog?

Size15's

Flashaholic

Were the G2/3L-FYL models in the newest catalog or were they just a surprise?
I've never seen one of the catalogs in person.
They were not in the 2009 catalogs.
I feel its worth mentioning that SureFire's catalogs are a pre-Christmas look ahead at things SureFire are looking to do in the next year. They show proto-types of some of these things and release their catalogs at the SHOT Show just after Christmas.
There's a whole year to explore what can actually be produced, come up with new and better things and generally **** off Flashaholics.
(the only certainty is that Flashaholics will get all overly excited about things and speculate and second-guess and be impatient etc... I'm sure that's a requirement of wearing the Flashaholic badge. You all wear your badge when visiting CPF right?)

Wow, I was hoping sooner.

Do I dare say Titan, LX2 and LX1 (and Saint?) are the only ones to be released this year out of all the items in the catalog?
There's plenty of 'year' left for SureFire to have scheduled in plans to release other products...

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's plenty of 'year' left for SureFire to have scheduled in plans to release other products...

Sounds good. Just hoping it's not one item released each time. :)

Latest posts