Ra Clicky Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
[Continued from Part 8]

All,

This thread is to discuss the technical aspects of the Ra Clicky and HDS Systems EDC Executive and EDC Tactical flashlights. That includes such topics as the user interface, beam pattern, differences between models, runtime, features, survivability and such. Please stay on topic.

Henry.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well after having my EDC tactical for over six months i finial got around to doing a run time test on high 85LM.First i ran an AW protected cell and got 88 minuts till first step down cool.

Next i ran a surefire primary cell and the thing ran for two hours and thirty minutes! Well hell that can't be right must of done something wrong so ran her again.Stepped it up till i got the blinking to indicate that i was in fact on the highest setting and let her go.two hours twenty minutes later i got my first step down!!

I sent an E-mail to Henry to see if he could make some sense of this and this is the E-mail he sent.

That in not unexpected. Some of the early EDC lights had real good LEDs - i.e., they were capable of being calibrated to much higher settings. When an order comes in and you are out of the lower rank LEDs, you don't hold up the orders waiting for them to come in. Although it is painful, you ship the lights with the better LEDs. We now have plenty of the lower rank LEDs so future lights will not have that particular "problem". :)

All i can say is Thanks Henry and this light ain't going nowhere:twothumbs

callmaster

Enlightened
So the early EDC Tacticals had really good LEDS which were used for the non EDC versions?

Is that right? Just checkin because not even the more expensive versions normally run for 2.5 hours at a time.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the early EDC Tacticals had really good LEDS which were used for the non EDC versions?

That's a lot of wishful thinking coming to that conclusion. Only a few EDC models would have this "problem", whenever Henry would run out of lower efficiency LED's he would sub a higher efficiency one.

Is that right? Just checkin because not even the more expensive versions normally run for 2.5 hours at a time.
Not true either, if you run them at 85lm. For reference I ran my 170cn at the 85lm level for 1:46 (106 min) on an AW RCR123.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
That's a lot of wishful thinking coming to that conclusion. Only a few EDC models would have this "problem", whenever Henry would run out of lower efficiency LED's he would sub a higher efficiency one.

Not true either, if you run them at 85lm. For reference I ran my 170cn at the 85lm level for 1:46 (106 min) on an AW RCR123.

So you got 1hour 46min with a primary cell right? Some how,and i have done this several more times i am getting an average of 2 hours 20min at 85LM! Anyone else have a 140 or 170 that they have tested at this level?

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
Hello, would somebody mind clearing something up for me? I don't quite understand the burst feature of these lights. I'm considering the 170 Clicky tactical. When the light is turned-on to its highest setting, it "bursts" for ten seconds, then automatically steps down to save battery life.

So if the light is advertised at 170 lumens, can I count on 170 lumens for an hour, or is 170 lumens the "burst" before is steps down to the next lower setting?

Thank you.

prime77

Enlightened
Hello, would somebody mind clearing something up for me? I don't quite understand the burst feature of these lights. I'm considering the 170 Clicky tactical. When the light is turned-on to its highest setting, it "bursts" for ten seconds, then automatically steps down to save battery life.

So if the light is advertised at 170 lumens, can I count on 170 lumens for an hour, or is 170 lumens the "burst" before is steps down to the next lower setting?

Thank you.
It's not the burst for an hour. It's the next level down or the "step down" level like you said. That level will run for an hour.

callmaster

Enlightened
Guess it's time to test the 140, 170 and 200 on some RCR123As tonight. See how long before it steps down a level (after the initial burst step down)

Then another run on Surefire primaries. Maybe I should wait for the weekend before doing this.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question, how would the orange reflector change the light pattern?? I just ordered the raised battery tube and almost ordered that too. Thanks!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have a question, how would the orange reflector change the light pattern?? I just ordered the raised battery tube and almost ordered that too. Thanks!

It will make the beam look a little more citrus.:D

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you got 1hour 46min with a primary cell right? Some how,and i have done this several more times i am getting an average of 2 hours 20min at 85LM! Anyone else have a 140 or 170 that they have tested at this level?
No, I quite clearly stated on my 170cn I got 1hr 46min (at 85lm) on an AW brand RCR. That is a brand of rechargable LiIon battery. The same kind of battery you got 88 min on (see below). I have not tried Primary at the 85lm level. Given the runtime difference between Primary and rechargable that I've noted at 120lm I would expect the Primary to last 1.3 times as long or 138 min (2:18).

Well after having my EDC tactical for over six months i finial got around to doing a run time test on high 85LM.First i ran an AW protected cell and got 88 minuts till first step down cool.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Misunderstood what you wrote i thought the number in parenthesis was the AW.I see how you were describing it now.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry, I got the raised battery tube today and absolutely love it, the workmanship is superb and it makes an already outstanding light even more versatile!! Thermal guy..thanks, the next thing I order from Henry is going to be the orange reflector. Henry's lights are awesome....would not be caught without one!!

tsl

Enlightened
Henry, I got the raised battery tube today and absolutely love it, the workmanship is superb and it makes an already outstanding light even more versatile!!

What is the raised battery tube? Is it just the tactical battery compartment?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cave Dave, I thought that the orange peeled reflector was an option, you mean it is standard?? I've always been confused with that and the purpose of what it does....thanks!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cave Dave, I thought that the orange peeled reflector was an option, you mean it is standard?? I've always been confused with that and the purpose of what it does....thanks!

I believe there is one and only one reflector. The slight orange peal surface is to create a smoother transition from the hotspot to the spill and eliminate any dark rings or imperfections in the beam. If you want a really floody smooth beam you can get a replacement lens from flashlightlens.com with a Light diffusion film (LDF) applied made specifically to fit the Ra. I have one on my Ra 100WW.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Cave Dave!! I will order that lens from Flashlightlens as it would be good for what I use sometimes, I now edc the 140CN and really do like the beam which is narrow and perfect imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.