Thoughts on Fathers day. One of the lucky ones.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I am one of the lucky ones, in many ways. I still have my father, and am still able to make memories with him. Today I told him that I wanted to take him out to dinner, my treat anywhere he wanted to go. So what does he say? A&W has 99 cent Papa burgers. I say dad, you can go anywhere, how about Luckys, a nice steakhouse. He says, I want a Papaburger and rootbeer, so that is where we went.

Dad alwas had time for father son things, even when him and mom were having their problems. He took me hunting with him from the time I was born basically. I know there were a number of times he lost game because of me. I have not missed at least one weeks hunting with him in 50 years (usually more), since I was 6 months old.

I have sat and swapped stories with him around the campfire more times than anyone else I know with his father. Hell, I am probably the only person who knows where the crescent shaped scar on his chest came from. A knife fight in a bar in the Navy where he only brought his fists. I was that close to not being
wink.gif

He worked 2 jobs as long as I can remember, at a factory and a school bus driver, and he coached my Little League baseball teams and hockey teams. I do not think I have ever had a project at home he has not popped over to help with.

He went through scouts with me, I have canoed, camped in 100 degree heat in the desert, and camped in -30 in the winter with him. We spent one week in bow season camping in the back of a pickup in driving rain where we were not dry one minute the whole week, and could not even have a warm meal because it rained so hard.

Some of the best meals I have ever eaten were like today, eating Papaburgers, or over a tin of Spam, a bottle of mustard and a loaf of bread off the tailgate of my pickup 5 miles back in the woods in a driving snow storm in muzzleloading season.

Great memories, yep, I am one of the lucky ones.

I tip my hunting Fedora and say, Happy Fathers day to all you men who know of what I speak. You are the Fathers of the world, the makers of men.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Great memories, yep, I am one of the lucky ones.

Indeed you are. My dad is also still around, and nearly 90. I can recall every happy memory I have of him. Namely because there are so few of them. Still, he did his best. The 15 years he spent in a Soviet prison for voicing his disapproval of the way the government was running things, definitely changed him. (At least according to mom). All those years of torture, and he came out mostly normal. I try to keep that in mind whenever I deal with him.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Enjoy while you can. I lost my Dad the day before Father's Day last year.

He took me hunting, fishing, and I wish I was 1/2 the man he was. I try, but they are big shoes to fill