Ar... Is flashlight safe to check car battery?

RY3

Enlightened
My car's battery dead recently and I was using my e2e very close to the battery to check it's electrolyte level. I wasn't thinking about this at the time but now I wonder if it was safe to do or I just simply being paranoid? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Is led suppose to be safer?

Thanks

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope it is safe. I have been doing that at work for years. With huge towmotor batteries no less.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
If the area is ventilated fairly well (i.e. - an open hood outside) then you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Usually you only have to worry about explosive gasses from batteries if you have them in an enclosed area either being charged or drained.

It's not so much the bulb that is the hazard as much as the switch and the possible arc during the "make" or "break" process of operating the switch.

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
Be as carefull with the flashlight as you would with a wrench. If you accidently drop it and it makes a circuit either between the terminals, or between the pos terminal and just about anything else metal (car engines/frames are usually grounded to the negative terminal) then you have a serious problem.