Nitecore extreme or novatec 120p?

YoelPaco

Newly Enlightened
Some help to decide, please??!!!! Which has the better strobe mode? I´m very interesting in it.

I have seen that there is a considerable diference of money between both models....

Than you for your time and help, people!

mmajunkie

Newly Enlightened
I have both and I prefer the Nitecore Extreme over the 120p. I HATE the UI of the 120p, most complicated of all flashlights IMO.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't let the NovaTac's UI scare you off. There is a learning curve, but it's not that steep, and once you're comfortable with it, it's both very simple and very flexible.

As far as the strobes...

• The Nitecore Extreme's strobe is significantly brighter.
  • The NovaTac's strobe is quicker/easier to access and strobes at a faster rate.
I find them equally disorienting, but which is better for you will probably depend on your intended use.

As for the lights in general...

• The Nitecore Extreme is significantly brighter and the head is compatible with Surefire E-series bodies, so there are many more body, switch and battery options (if you're willing to spend more or already have them). The stock body and switch could be better - tactile feel of the switch isn't great, body doesn't allow for tail-standing, etc
  • The NovaTac is better in every other way. Four programmable modes, all instantly available. Easy, one handed operation. SOS mode, locator mode, etc.
And there isn't a price difference. The NovaTac 120E can be found for the same price as the Nitecore Extreme, and the 120E has a backdoor for enabling all of the 120P's programming features.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I bought an NEI years ago and used it a bit, I never had it fail, but sometimes it would switch modes on me because of the way they designed the interface. I'd wind up trying to find something in a vehicle in the low mode, and instead having it strobe at me killing any sense of night vision i might have had. Or it would do the opposite mode switching and wind up ramping my low mode up to the high mode. Just too much hassle for an EDC.

I still use it, with a Surefire F04 beam shaper, with the head unscrewed a full turn, on the lowest mode, as a bedside reading light and for when nature calls in the early morning. As a battery vampire in its lowest mode, it does work very, very well. I'll just never use it on high again.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had both the Extreme and the 120P
I still have the 120P after using it as a EDC for the pass year
Yes the UI is more complicated but once I have setup the 4 modes how
I wanted them, thats it I have not had to reprograme it

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I prefer the Nitecore Extreme over the 120p. I HATE the UI of the 120p, most complicated of all flashlights IMO.

Let me ease your suffering, send it my way.:nana:

IMO, the 120P is a great light that is very easy to learn in about 10 minutes.
Best switch I have used thus far.

Budman231

Enlightened
I dont have the Nitecore but can say that the 120p is an awesome light !

It is tough, incredible beam, and very programmable. There is a great cheat sheet in the sticky at the top of this forum.

120p !:thumbsup:

Yapo

Enlightened
I dont have either...but my brother's got a HDS and i find its UI is very intuitive and only requires clickin to change modes instead of changing your grip/use 2 hands to twist the head.

Also the beam pattern of the nitecore to me looks horrible compared to the novatac.

So price aside, I'd definately go for a novatac and if they had a single AA model i'd have 1 in my hands already!

dmonay

Newly Enlightened
I went through the same dilemma as you. I liked the good reviews of the Nitecore and the lower price but in the end I bought the Novatac 120P. It can be programed to four of your most important levels. Mine is 1- 60 lumen, 2- strobe 3- .08 lumen for night adjusted eyes and a click hold gives me 120 lumens. It is on my night stand while I'm sleeping and clipped in my back pocket during the daytime. It has been on me 24/7 since I got it 8 months ago. It's made in the USA and Novatac gives you a lifetime warranty.
Do yourself a favor and get 2 rcr123 rechargeable batteries and a charger, and it will cost you nothing to power this light. I find that I use mine several times a day/night for various dark encounters.
The 120p is a great light!
:twothumbs

YoelPaco

Newly Enlightened
Well, finally I´m going to buy the 120p. Thank you very much to everybody for your answers! They have been very useful to me!!

Thanks a lot!

Latest posts